Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Orc

By the way, back in 1999, before people had standardized on the term "MMO" to describe this type of video game, there was another term in use as well: "persistent world online gaming" or some variation thereof.

Before it was about tons of players ("massively multiplayer"), it was about the world continuing while you were logged off. It was about the world being bigger than the individual player. It was about the world being objectively real rather than just shallow window dressing on which you play the 2010 version of Gauntlet or Golden Axe.

EQ was about the world, before it got changed into WoW-Lite.
Last edited by Kazzok; 06-06-2010 at 06:47 PM..
Old 06-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trakanon then laid his serpent-like head on the floor of his cave. "That time is fast approaching. Here is my prophecy, young one. Everything I say now shall soon come to pass. When the wars of the elder races begin to come to fruition, the gods shall take notice and plan for their coming into the world. Then, on the third day of the third season, in the dark of the night on all the continents of the elder races, shall be reborn my chosen in the bodies of other men, representing all of the three virtues: good, evil, and the gray neutral between them both. They will arise to the call of a fourth chosen, great among them, who will collect my gifts unto himself: the magic enhancements of Miragul, the flaming sword of Nalikor, and your dragon pendant. The peoples of Norrath will revere this one as Trakanon's chosen, and he will watch the whole world burn."
This is not canon lore. The codex of war was assembled (and most sections written) by a player guild. The characters in the Prophecy of Trakanon storyline, for example, were officers in that guild.

Just an FYI. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Sarnak

Aye back from EQ Beta when alot of the lore was being written by community members who would eventually join the sony staff (Absor etc!)
Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Sarnak

The codex of war was written after Kunark, though. Otherwise, no player would have known about Kunark or Trakanon in the first place. Most of the "lore" found in these writings was players trying to write their guild into the story (prophecy of trakanon), or making stuff up that contradicts official lore (i.e. the stuff about trolls being from Kunark).

Nothing found in the codex of war has any in-game correlation to suggest it was ever officially adopted or that it exists as anything other than decently-written (if at times, inaccurate) fan fiction.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Sarnak

Actually the lore in question is from beta and the codex of war is a derivative of it. There are lots of things from classic everquest that got changed later on. Like for example the lore that said Innoruuk created the Iksar.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually the lore in question is from beta and the codex of war is a derivative of it.
The lore in question were stories rejected/altered from the pre-release and leaked to sate player curiosity.

Luke Skywalker was originally Luke Starkiller, but that doesn't mean that Starkiller is a canonical last name from classic Star Wars history (aside from the recently released Force Unleashed stuff, which was ret-conned four decades later.)

Furthermore:

Codex of War

Quote:
Most of the writings you will find from here on out will be written from an "in character" perspective told by the character I have portrayed all this time through course of gameplay. Banegrivm Shadowblight, a paladin of Mithaniel Marr who once forged an army at the battle of Bloody Kithicor by command of his god...
Fanfiction.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why is this fun?
[re: travel becoming more difficult]

Because it keeps it Classic. The more you move away from challenge and the fear based concept of dying in this game, the more you move towards World of Warcraft and Everquest Live. Spare us both, please. :/
Old 06-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Skeleton

This is your guy's playground, I absolutely love playing in it! I am sure that whatever you implement, if anything, will be great. The best part about this server is getting to see and do everything i didn't get a chance to. So idk if it is something modified or original. I am pro planes tho, seeing the clockwork dragon is on my bucket list!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Planar Protector

I for one am completely 100% against the idea of Alternate Advancement being implemented.

That feature basically forces you to choose one character from there on out or be left behind by those that do.

I enjoy leveling up alts and don't want to be told down the line that I'm gimping my main by taking time to levell up a new character to 60.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That feature basically forces you to choose one character from there on out or be left behind by those that do.
Well, I think that goes for ANY type of advancement. AAs, or more levels, or quested gear (lol right), or raiding. If they put in any sort of way to advance, if you haven't maxed out your "main", then you're "neglecting" it by playing alts.

I guess it's just that with AAs, its like a whole crap load of "mini-levels" all at once to try and catch up with. When only gear is your progression, you have more time to play alts, since you can only raid a couple of times a week or whatever.

However, I still stand by "it's a game, do what you like!". If AAs one day hit (unlikely), screw everyone else, do what you enjoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Leapfrogging is a dick move. It's not about "rules" or "ZOMG IT HAPPENED ON MY SERVER ITS FAIR".
Truth.
Closed Thread