Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Planar Protector

Default Am superstitious or...?

Does it help to waggle back and forth facing left and right while casting to not get push interrupted? Feels like when not doing it, em gets pushed backwards and interrupted a lot, but doing this negates the pushback and em gets spells off more consistently. /ponder
Old 11-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Default Superstition in the way

Thoughts:
There are two ways of getting interrupted: stun and push.

Push
Melee hits cause a small amount of push. Your orientation when hitting an enemy determines the direction in which they are pushed. However, your orientation when hit has no effect on the direction in which you are pushed. The only thing that matters is the direction in which the NPC hitting you is facing (which will always be directly toward you).

So I know of no mechanic by which waggling would mitigate interruption by push.

Stun
If an attacker doesn’t land bash, you won’t be stunned. (Wait, is that true? I’m not sure that’s true. Paging Daldaen or Jimjam.)

Anyway, if you’re facing the mob, you have a chance to use your passive avoidance abilities (Dodge, Parry/Block, and Riposte). If you’re facing away from the mob, you do not get to Dodge/Parry/Riposte (I don’t know about Block...monks are OP, so I wouldn’t be surprised). Anyway, waggle too far and you might present your rear arc to the mob and nerf your own avoidance abilities. So waggling is possibly counterproductive or possibly doing nothing.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Planar Protector

miss Brut's face
Old 11-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

The following applies if you have the Channeling skill (no monks, rogues, or warriors):

Push interruption is all about X/Y distance from where you started casting. For anyone not sure what I mean, try corner-casting. Stand in a corner, as far in as you can go. Start a long spell, like Gate or a Shielding or a port. Run all around, all you want, then get your character back into the corner before the spell finishes. You will “regain your concentration and continue your casting” every time.

And by the way, Z axis doesn’t matter. Levitate really high, start casting Levitate or Gate or Shadow Step, and click off Levitate. You’ll start to fall, but finish the spell. Levitate will stop you in midair (no damage), Gate will take you home, and Shadow Step will put you on the ground instantly with no damage. Don’t try this on a rogue, though (no Channeling).

If you get pushed backward while casting, try to walk forward the same amount to increase the chance your Channeling skill succeeds and you finish the spell. Or just push your back into a corner or at least a wall so you can’t be pushed.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And by the way, Z axis doesn’t matter. Levitate really high, start casting Levitate or Gate or Shadow Step, and click off Levitate. You’ll start to fall, but finish the spell. Levitate will stop you in midair (no damage), Gate will take you home, and Shadow Step will put you on the ground instantly with no damage. Don’t try this on a rogue, though (no Channeling).
Why do you fail spells while sinking in water then?
Old 11-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is so annoying lol
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You shouldn’t. If you are experiencing that, it may be a bug. Unless you’re being hit or moving laterally for some other reason.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The following applies if you have the Channeling skill (no monks, rogues, or warriors):

Push interruption is all about X/Y distance from where you started casting. For anyone not sure what I mean, try corner-casting. Stand in a corner, as far in as you can go. Start a long spell, like Gate or a Shielding or a port. Run all around, all you want, then get your character back into the corner before the spell finishes. You will “regain your concentration and continue your casting” every time.

If you get pushed backward while casting, try to walk forward the same amount to increase the chance your Channeling skill succeeds and you finish the spell. Or just push your back into a corner or at least a wall so you can’t be pushed.

I have been playing EQ in some form since just a couple months or so after it was released and this is the first time I've seen such a clear and simple explanation of channeling. Some of this I think I "intuitively" knew from playing so much EQ, but I've never tested some of the possibilities and some of this is kinda surprising.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Sarnak

i definitely wiggle hoping not to get stunned
Old 11-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Sarnak

very interesting! I sometimes tap my forward key to counteract the push and facilitate channeling, but that's very difficult to do consistently
Closed Thread