Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
The dumbing down of combat can be blamed for pushing for the console market which is stupid if you're marketing your game to your playerbase consisting of nothing but COMPUTER GAMERS!
Was the only mention of the combat system, you sure you're reading the right post? lol
Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Fire Giant

I think EQN will be what some people like - same as EQ2 (which I thought was horrid), and GW2 (ditto with some nice art, though not my style). But it's not going to fill the hole EQ classic left, and that's the point people are just now realizing. Mind you, it was never going to do that. That's what it started off trying to do and they scrapped it after 18 months. It was always going to be a marketing circus of showy "features" once they took that direction. Most of it is going to fall short in the same way Black and White and other games before it have, and for the same reasons. But fanbois and fangirls are going to suck it up regardless and argue passionately for it. The rest of us just quietly move on, again.

Apples and oranges, and horses for courses.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Planar Protector

How can they continually put the everquest name on such shitty fucking games!?

I would never pay for this game.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

Just based on graphics alone (a VERY small part of what makes a game enjoyable) I would say this game looks like shit. It doesn't even remind me of EQ at all. I was atleast hoping this game would take SOME of the classic eq novelties and that sony would try to give it a classic feel
I think the problem is that all of these game devs think "bigger is better" so to speak. They just keep putting out absolute shit though.

I give eqn a score of 2/10 as far as its potential to be a game worth playing (or paying for) and a 0/10 in terms of staying true to the everquest name.

Fuck you SoE.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 08-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Kobold

Any link to the video with the ogre in it? I too do not like the art from what I've seen and I really don't understand how an MMO will be successful as a sandbox. Also not sure how its going to work without levels.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Planar Protector

I can adapt myself to the graphics. I like the idea of things constantly changing. It will play hell on the wiki crowd.

I like the idea of creating cities. Esp with the detail they are offering. Its totally going to suck when they send that giant to smash it to bits after you spent all that time working on it though. I see the destruction thing leading to exploits.

Going to be awfully hard to balance multiclasses. although, as was previously mentioned people flock to the better classes in EQ.

The face emote thing is a fun aspect. not make or break either way.

rallying cry intrigues me.

Like Tass said, 0/10 for sticking to the eq1 sandbox expectations. although that's not what they were going for. After the initial hype has died down I'd give this game a 6/10 for trying a new thing or two to try to advance the genre.

Also excited for winter coming.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:08 AM
Aviak

So new and innovative, oh wait.
In 2001 I played DAOC. I was a Cleric who multiclassed with Reaver. I called myself a Cleaver.
Then the call came, the orcs were attacking, er some city. We all went and mined stone to build this massive wall around the keep...
Then we all got bored and quit.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:21 AM
Large Bat

i like all the nerds over here getting really mad over how they have cartoony graphics. like, really? you all realize that that's a logistics thing, right? don't be retarded. they're cartoony because it's easy to make a decent art direction with cartoons without having ridiculous graphical requirements that only the most dedicated players will be able to meet up with.

I don't think that the art looks like wow at all. If anything you could make a more valid comparison to say that the graphics look like borderlands minus the cel shading.

if u want to make a complaint about EQN, make it one that isn't completely retarded. tony the tiger was retarded i agree but honestly it's not game breaking to me.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellouelle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i like all the nerds over here getting really mad over how they have cartoony graphics. like, really? you all realize that that's a logistics thing, right? don't be retarded.
Stopped reading here, because no offense, but it shows you have no idea what you're talking about, and you're aggressive about it to boot.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Kobold

Major disappointment for me too even though this is really alpha stuff and much is going to change.

The world looks superb, and the editor Landmark thing is absolutely great for the minecraft crowd/creative players - and thank god it's separate from the real game because frankly the Foundry of Neverwinter, mehhh.

Graphics are way too cartoonish, the human looks cool but the tiger is absolutely catastrophic and the armors are 200% WoW even worse. For a game trying to be innovating and surprising, the models and armors sure aren't -_-

Combat while surely in it's infant stages look absolutely catastrophic as well, I hope that tiger was lvl 60 in a lvl 5 area because it's plain stupid as it is there...

Not a fan at all of the no levels/classes idea either. It's not a bad idea, but doesn't fit EQ imo. If they wanted to go that route, should've done UO next, not EQ next.

And I'm sorry but this business model doesn't cut it for me, as it didn't in Neverwinter - I hated it (17 different currencies and stuff so annoying). It's the same story here, games with good background (EQ/D&D) but totally ruined with this modern F2P+cash shop business model just bringing in stupid concepts for you to dish out money and often too close to P2W elements.

Like I said at the beginning of my post, we're merely in alpha and much of what we dislike from what we saw might change, but from what I saw there I think I'd skip the game entirely. I think the game has potential, but targetting a niche market, not the mass-market - i.e. Minecraft players longing for their game with WoW graphics? Dunno..
Last edited by Nogdar; 08-03-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Closed Thread