Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs616 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wasn't the burning rapier supposed to be a pre-quest to the epic? Kind of like Jeb's Seal for the enchanter. The fact that you could skip it, and other portions of the quest if you got lucky on drops (cazic quill), made like 1/2 the quest unnecessary to do.

But yea, the no god/dragon loot thing is pretty slick too.
Skippable things you had to get for the Rogue Epic:

Burning Rapier (Long 30+ Quest)
Rapier of Martune (Plane of Hate)
Eyerazzia (Plane of Fear)
Rapier of Orrin (Howling Stones)

Fleshripper (Sol B King)
Painbringer (Sol B Champion)
Mithril Two Hander (Lower Guk King)
Gigantic Zweihander (Everfrost Karg Icebear)

Robe of the Kedge (Kedge Phinny)
Robe of the Oracle (Ocean of Tears Oracle)
Robe of the Ishva (Paw Ishva Mal)
Shining Metallic Robes (Lower Guk Ghoul Arch Magus)

What these turn-ins got you were a pouch that spawns Stanos, but you never need because he can be spawned with a phrase. Jagged Diamond Dagger, which you never needed because Renux, a mob you have to kill in the quest anyway drops it every time. And the Cazic Quill, which rarely drops from the last fight of the epic.

Further, the robes for the only part not guaranteed by the spawned raid mobs were put into accompanying quest mobs, so that you could just kill them instead of going to Kedge, Paw and Guk. So, yeah, the rogue epic should have been much more epic in scope, but someone had a soft spot for rogues and wanted to see everyone with a Ragebringer.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Fire Giant

Considering the DPS disparity with the rogue epic, I wonder if that was on purpose...

Because from the sounds of it, it would have been a much more annoying quest if you had to spawn Stanos with an item (and he depopped after set time, meaning you better be ready for the next part...or farm multiple items).

Everquest is unfortunately the victim of "being early" when it comes to quest design. Now we know that *obviously* all quests should be equal. E.G. each epic should have a 7-day spawn kill, or none of them do. But back in 99? These quests seem more lore-driven in scope, and the idea of making them all balanced yet different probably wasn't a priority. Heck, it even has a feel of "different teams did different quests."

That's all conjecture tho. The Bard epic, for example, is a *really* easy quest when it comes to guessing the next step / time sinks until you get to Trak. The only "guessing" is with the Dragon Guts being rare spawns on cycles in Kunark. Some quests like the Wizard one are just...blargh.

The epics are prestigious tho. And even though I've never acquired one on any character, I still think it's cool that some of them are uber hard.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Kobold

the other part that did't get tied in properly, was killing stanos for high elf mask, then killing king of felwithe
Old 12-24-2013, 03:21 AM
Kobold

I actually love the fact that verant did not give in to whinging casuals.

I will never own a Ferrari in real life who should I complain to ? God ?
Old 12-24-2013, 04:08 AM
Sarnak

I don't think anyone is looking for a handout, just for some of the camps to be a little bit more reasonable. It is the same argument that was made back then, and apparently devs agreed since so many of the bottlenecks were made spawnable in Velious.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:27 AM
Kobold

I was sad when it seemed Verina and Vessel, for the enchanter epic, did not respawn alongside all the other mobs during Sunday night's reset.

Maybe I\m just crazy.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Sarnak

that's because it was a manual respawn
Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Kobold

Not sure if troll.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is what Gordon had to say back in October 2000:

http://web.archive.org/web/200101040...p?Article=2746

Source: EverQuest General Discussion Forums.

You know Abashi or Gordon or what ever you want to be called, this attitude of the I hate it for you the epic quest items are not for everyone really pisses me off. That is complete bull crap. I pay 9.95 a month, and I expect to be treated fairly. If you guys cant treat all players the same and make it where this stuff is atainable by all. And not make items available by only the elite few. Then you are not being Fair to every one and last I checked every one pays pretty much the same amount of money. Wake up and be fair to the Majority of players not the elite few.
Given the same dedication, ability, knowledge, and network of friends, you have the same chance of obtaining any item in the game as anyone else. All players are being treated the same way, that does not mean that every player will get the same things as every other player in the same calendar period.

Gordon then responded to another post on the same topic:

Please explain yourself. In another post you said that these items were never meant to come into the game enmass because that would throw off the balance of the game. What you are really saying here is that if you don't play the game 40 hours a week, or don't belong to an uber guild, your just SOL.

The quests are meant to be completed by people who can get help from a good number of other people. While I don't think that it means that you *must* be in a "uberguild", it certainly wouldn't hurt. These are top of the line items, and "top of the line" items aren't typically meant to be acquired solo.

So far it appears that everyone who has recieved the EPIC weapon has been a member or a friend of just such a guild.

I imagine that it's hard to find someone in the 50-60 range who could get enough support without having a guild or friends in such a guild to help.

If this is the case, just come out and tell us that most players will not be able to obtain their class defining weapon because they are either not connected socially or they have a life away from the game.

The vast majority of players in the level range to acquire these items is either in, or have friends in, a guild. Still, most players will not obtain the epic quest item period, regardless of guild status or level. Though I understand your feelings regarding the issue, it is intended to be this way. As I've posted before, no one is "entitled" to items in the game. Things that we want universally available are sold on vendors.

Guys, it's about prestige. These are meant to be prestigous items to have. If everyone has them, there's no prestige in having one.

- Gordon
+1 ... this is the reason we all play here and not World of Warcraft - if you want hand outs there's a different game for you... or there was a week ago anyway...
Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
og devs want epics to be very rare

makes rogue epic

SCUMBAGS
After having mained a rogue on live during this time period, rogues had a hard enough time. An easier than most epic was balanced no?
Closed Thread