Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Kobold

Default Considering Red

Heya guys,

Considering trying out a toon on red, but wanted to to a bit of research before hand.

I've never been a big PvP kind of person (except perhaps in EVE) and when it comes to EQ I'm a complete pvp noob.. So I have a few questions if anyone is able to help me out!

What classes are totally broken for pvp, especially for a newer player?
What classes are fun to solo with? (but not necro, I have been playing that on blue)
What tips for a new player do you have?
How does getting murdered work as far as loot, exp loss, tears, etc?
What pvp server specific things do I need to learn to do or look out for?

Any tips or hints would be great!

I was considering Druid or Wizard to have the ability to move around easily, but I don't know how well they hold up in pvp.. A warrior or ranger would be fun, but I have a feeling that I'd want to shoot myself trying to solo them to a high level..

What are the rules for fighting other players? I've seen one post that says +/- 4 lvl, but then another post had it so the level spread increased with levels?

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Kobold

I guess I'll just... Let the Wookie win.

err.. nvm, someone move that walking carpet off my thread.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP CHEWIE NOOOO [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didnt need to read to know that youll do terrible
You're doing a great job getting this account banned as well.

Druid is a great first character - good at pvp, making money, traveling. Necro will do really well soloing, but the planned changes coming up will make soloing less relevant. Warriors will be fun, and if the groups pan out the way we want, will level rather quickly. Rangers are a ton of fun but can be frustrating to level.

Hope this helped! Welcome to Red!
Red99: 60 Ranger / 60 Rogue / 60 Monk / 60 Necro / 55 Wiz / 54 Paladin / 54 Bard / 48 Druid
Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Fire Giant

What classes are fun to solo with? (but not necro, I have been playing that on blue)

--

Shaman is a great solo class and can hold its own in PvP as well, just beware when you canni dance, people WILL jump you.

When you die, you get the shame of being broadcasted as slain by the victor, but lose nothing but time for the corpse run and your coin. Play in third person zoomed out, you can identify threats when they're imminent. Don't go to Unrest, Guk, SolB, unless you get pretty good at PvPing, the former are "Fortresses of Solitude" for twinked out lowbie characters and the latter has no range, so a level 60 can zone in and PK a level 38.

Don't get upset if you die, and if possible, when you're exping, be sure to bind yourself in the same zone so you don't have a huge CR. This server is full of immature people, and you'll see them making asses out of themselves in OOC, so if you have a thick skin, you should be fine.

If you're a +1, welcome, we need all we can get.

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Last edited by Lurgort/Sseri; 04-15-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Old 04-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trosh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heya guys,

Considering trying out a toon on red, but wanted to to a bit of research before hand.

I've never been a big PvP kind of person (except perhaps in EVE) and when it comes to EQ I'm a complete pvp noob.. So I have a few questions if anyone is able to help me out!

Any tips or hints would be great!

I was considering Druid or Wizard to have the ability to move around easily, but I don't know how well they hold up in pvp.. A warrior or ranger would be fun, but I have a feeling that I'd want to shoot myself trying to solo them to a high level..

What are the rules for fighting other players? I've seen one post that says +/- 4 lvl, but then another post had it so the level spread increased with levels?

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance!
No classes are really "broken", but some are definitely stronger than others. Druids are decent in PVP and PVE soloing if you're looking to play alone most of the time. Wizards are good in PVP if used right too, but a wizard without twink gear is going to be very much a glass cannon. Rangers can solo decent with snare/bowkiting/fear kiting animals, but they take some pretty good gear to be effective in PVP high levels. I would stay away from a warrior if you plan on wanting to solo (PVE or PVP).

The post you saw before about +/- 4 levels are talking about upcoming changes. Right now its +/- 8 52+ and it scales downward the lower level you get...not sure the exact numbers TBO. It is easy enough to tell if you can attack someone though by considering them. If they con indifferent they are not attackable...anything else and they are.

When you're killed they can loot coin only. No exp loss. You have a much shorter rez timer in PVP death (5 minutes), otherwise you spawn without gear and leave a corpse just like a PVE death.

There are many things to learn, far too many to list out. But don't go afk, be doing /who's every so often to check the zone and make sure to keep buffs up in the proper order while leaving the top slot open to dispel enemy debuffs. Magic resist is your most important stat on a PVP server regardless of class. Learn where the crystallized pumice vendor is near you and always carry some.

Also, ducking does not interrupt casting immediately here so be wary of that. If you're ducking when the casting bar resolves it'll still interrupt but its not immediate like blue.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ill email you 50 dollars to uninstall forever
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Not_Kazowi

There isn’t really any “totally broken” classes for PVP. There are a couple of classes that have broken items which make them OP but no class is super OP over any other except maybe a bard outdoors.

Fun class to solo with on red? I mean that question is answered just the same way it would be on blue. We have the exact same PVE as you do just open world pvp tossed in. If you are talking about survivability in pvp as solo then I would recommend going with druid or wizard. If you plan to join up with a guild then play something that guild needs like melee dps or cleric.

Tips for a new player? This community is pretty rough so prepare for shit talk in ooc on the regular and griefing. Pick a guild you like or feel comfortable with and play with them.

When you die your coin is the only thing that can be looted. You spawn at your bind, you do not lose xp but have a 5 min res timer on your body if it is to pvp. Everything else is just like blue.

Learn about crystalized pumice, strafe running, plugging, etc. There are a lot of little ins and outs to pvp that you probably don’t learn on blue.

Current level range for pvp is +-8 levels but soon to be +-4 from what I have read.

Everquest is a fun game but pvp adds an element of excitement and competition that is unattainable on blue.

Feel free to message me in game, Rexx, and I will try to get you some starter gear. Hope to see you around!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Kobold

Dear chu,

Please stick your head in lava

-Mgmt
Old 04-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Sektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So many tldrs in this thread
Did u guys know sirken will sell you raid loot? Aon only 75 usd, not bad prolly straight profit too
if that was true I'd have 7 aons
Old 04-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
So many tldrs in this thread
Did u guys know sirken will sell you raid loot? Aon only 75 usd, not bad prolly straight profit too
You're a shining beacon to new players bro, keep it up.

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Closed Thread