Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Druid charm spells

Hey guys, I have been charm killing pretty successfully (21 druid now) but I have a question about the spells I'm getting.

Is there a need to buy the new charm and fear animal spells? This is my first character here and animal killing means my funds can't cover many new spells. Would rather not have to buy the spells if they are not needed.

At 19 there is Terrorize Animal, but my current fear spell is still working fine for 1/3 the mana.

At 24 we get Charm Animals. Current charm seems to be good as long as I stick with charming blues. I get very few breaks.

Anyway, do these have some upside to them that makes them better than casting the lower level spells?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Planar Protector

The only upside of new charm spells is that they have a higher mob level cutoff; at some point as you level up you just won't be able to charm dark blues with your oldest charm spell. New fear spells last longer, but you don't really need fear in the first place if you're charm killing; just manage the aggro between you and your pet using cheap spells like snare and flame lick until they're both low HP, then kill both.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for the info. Any idea what the level cutoffs are? I'll probably pass on the new spells and just upgrade when the old ones aren't working as well.

Speaking of flame lick, I tried it a couple times because I remember it being huge aggro on live, but it didnt pull aggro here. I can test it more though, only tried it a couple times.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Kobold

There also comes a point to where the lower level charms don't last as long. I noticed it around the OT rhino range. If they keep breaking time to move up to the new one.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasiGnome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the info. Any idea what the level cutoffs are? I'll probably pass on the new spells and just upgrade when the old ones aren't working as well.

Speaking of flame lick, I tried it a couple times because I remember it being huge aggro on live, but it didnt pull aggro here. I can test it more though, only tried it a couple times.
The Wiki lists all of the cutoffs. Flame Lick is great aggro here, I used it to hold aggro off of a 40s rogue during an aggro kite duo. You might have to cast it a couple of times. Granted, I haven't played my druid for a while, so maybe it got nerfed, but I haven't heard anything about this.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Just hit 22 so I'm gonna move to a new area. XP is slowing down from Gorge Hounds and Griffs in EK. Might have no choice but to pick up these spells. Appreciate the help guys.

On live I grouped/single kited/root+rotted until I could quad kite so this charming stuff is a pretty new experience for me. Been really happy with it though, wish I would have tried it back then.