Old 08-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Aviak

No ports for evil alignment at all?

Dokt Orjones

11-22-99 to 11-03-04
Torvonillous
Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Banned

Sounds like a really well thought out and fleshed out idea in the spirit of EQ.

+1
Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since they've been cursed, they no longer have the patience nor the intelligence to train as proper Warriors. They have to take the easy way out and follow the dark side as Shadowknights or the primitive ways of Berserkers and Beastlords.

So, actually, this makes more sense with EQ lore. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sorry man, but .....

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

lvl 37 Troll Shaman OF JUSTICE
Old 08-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Planar Protector

Nice logic and reasoning you've got there. Oh wait.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well really it wasn't meant to have logic... was really more in response to your "Ogres not being warriors fits with EQ lore!"

There's really nothing to say there, but NOPE. It's like saying the sun isn't hot.

lvl 37 Troll Shaman OF JUSTICE
Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Planar Protector

Of course there is something to say there, you just aren't putting in any effort whatsoever to think about somebody else's viewpoint.

Your argument - because Ogres were created by "The God of War", it's heresy that this race wouldn't be allowed to pick the Warrior class.

My argument - since Ogres were indeed cursed and changed from the state they were originally created as, something specifically talked about in EQ Lore, then it actually could make sense that they aren't allowed to be Warriors anymore.

My argument #2 - making all of the races feel completely different from each other brings the EQ World and Lore to life better than ever before. It adds to game immersiveness, since players will constantly be affected by their race and be actively engaging within a roleplaying aspect of this MMORPG, even if they aren't a player who "roleplays".
Old 08-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Sarnak

Good 9 – Good 8- Good 7 – Neutral6 – Neutral 5 – Neutral4 – Evil 3 – Evil 2 – Evil 1

I always thought that alignment restrictions would be a good part of the game. I had started something that I wanted to put in my dream EQ server, but ended up scratching it last minute so as to get feedback mainly on class balance.
I thought about removing class and race XP penalties, and instead focus on group make ups with alignment as the main factor for xp bonus or penalties.
The way I had thought it should work, was that there were 3 levels of each alignment, and that groups would be limited to 3 hops on some level. So a High Elf Cleric who worships Tunare would be a level 3 good, and would only be allowed in a group with a level 2 good, level 1 good or level 3 neutral to get a specific group xp bonus. If a group found a way to get even less hops between alignments, the bonus would grow. If there were more than 3 hops, then an XP penalty would start to take effect. So that same cleric would hate grouping with a troll shaman because it would kill her xp, and instead would love to have a wood elf ranger because it would give her a bonus. That same troll shaman would find an ogre warrior a highly compatible road companion.
This way, instead of min/max’ing because of class penalties like people do now, they would do it in a way that makes more sense lore-wise, and it wouldn’t always be the same classes that would be shun. Also, by only affecting the xp rate of a group, and not prohibiting completely the type of group make-up, it still lets raids happen in a conventional sense without the huge logistic’s headache of grouping only certain alignments.
I hope you see it as a constructive comment to the work you put in in thinking of your server, and for reference, the server I had thought of was posted here:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=105887
Astuce Subterfuge
Last edited by astuce999; 08-24-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Old 08-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
No logic is better than bad logic.

The curse was upon their minds not their bodies. The lore even states that they only forgot things, but they remained just as strong.
Last edited by myriverse; 08-24-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 08-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good 9 – Good 8- Good 7 – Neutral6 – Neutral 5 – Neutral4 – Evil 3 – Evil 2 – Evil 1

I always thought that alignment restrictions would be a good part of the game. I had started something that I wanted to put in my dream EQ server, but ended up scratching it last minute so as to get feedback mainly on class balance.
I thought about removing class and race XP penalties, and instead focus on group make ups with alignment as the main factor for xp bonus or penalties.
The way I had thought it should work, was that there were 3 levels of each alignment, and that groups would be limited to 3 hops on some level. So a High Elf Cleric who worships Tunare would be a level 3 good, and would only be allowed in a group with a level 2 good, level 1 good or level 3 neutral to get a specific group xp bonus. If a group found a way to get even less hops between alignments, the bonus would grow. If there were more than 3 hops, then an XP penalty would start to take effect. So that same cleric would hate grouping with a troll shaman because it would kill her xp, and instead would love to have a wood elf ranger because it would give her a bonus. That same troll shaman would find an ogre warrior a highly compatible road companion.
This way, instead of min/max’ing because of class penalties like people do now, they would do it in a way that makes more sense lore-wise, and it wouldn’t always be the same classes that would be shun. Also, by only affecting the xp rate of a group, and not prohibiting completely the type of group make-up, it still lets raids happen in a conventional sense without the huge logistic’s headache of grouping only certain alignments.
I hope you see it as a constructive comment to the work you put in in thinking of your server, and for reference, the server I had thought of was posted here:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=105887
Astuce Subterfuge

Now that's an interesting idea. I have thought in the past that alignment could be used to result in more "roleplay" type of grouping but I never thought about making use of exp. penalties for grouping with conflicting alignments. I had thought that maybe a faction hit could be applied or something like that but your idea would accomplish the same thing without being quite so draconian.

Pretty good idea really.

As to the original post of this thread: My initial thought is that the races are a little too restricted in the classes they get. I think I would try to ensure that each of the major alignments gets every class rather than trying to ensure that they each lack certain classes. Also, if you don't like fast travel just take ports away from druids and wizards.
Closed Thread