Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Kobold

Interesting thread.

If you used the idea of placing the zones in old world locations [or access via portal] then the PoK/PoT issue is null. Like it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, for those who are saying it would be difficult to work your way through PoP without Luclin.. maybe thats a good thing for your last expansion ever? Make it damn hard. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [Not that it would be an issue anyway, they could tune encounters and items however they saw fit.]
Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

If this server went custom after Velious I would literally cream my jeans.

Personally...that's what I think it should do.

Destiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

I just found this post and figured it had some relevance to this thread. It had to do with zones that were never implemented or implemented much later on that were on the the classic-Kunark maps:

Quote:
When I bought the Ruins of Kunark expansion back in the day, it came with a cloth map of Norrath. Looking at it, there's a ton of zones that they never made (some of which I believe are in some of the newer expansions, like the Gulf of Gunthak on Antonica and the Loping Plains on Faydwer). I'd probably stick with these, using the same graphics engine as Vanilla-Velious. Of course, some of these zones came out with other expansions, but following the previous sentence, here they are:

Faydwer:
Loping Plains
Wayunder Lake
Dragonscale Hills
Ranthok's Ridge
Elverain (sp? I'm looking at a smaller image from google) Lake
Hills of Shade (?)

Antonica:
The Northlands & The Hatchlands
The Nest
The Frigid Plains (which could possibly be the big open area of Everfrost Peaks, and the Newbie area from Halas to Blackburrow could be the western portion of the mountain range)
Winter's Deep (added to Misty Thicket)
Lake Neriuss
Jaggedpine Forest
Unkempt Woods (in the Jaggedpine that went live, there was a blocked tunnel across the river... possibly a route to the Unkempt Woods?)
Lifite (?) River**
Gulf of Gunthak
Broken Skull Rock (Gunthak Subzone, or Part of Gunthak)
Greenblood River, Dead Hills & The Den
Rujarkian Hills & The Serpents Spine* (I really would have liked to have seen this pre-LDoN. It seems to take up a pretty big area of southeast Antonica, and I think it would have been a nice place to level in the 30's, much like a Pre-Kunark version of The Overthere

Odus:
The Barren Coast & The Gulf of Urun
The W____ Deep (I can't read what the 2nd word is on this picture)

Kunark:
Lake of Dismay
Dragon's Drool

As you can see, there are a ton of zones that company had to work with before creating zones on the moon. Again, I would keep the same graphics engine. One thing I did like about WoW was that it was basically the same thing all over, as opposed to Live where it's the Original graphics engines, slightly updated for RoK and SoV, then a new one for Luclin, and getting gradually better as the expansions progressed, leaving gigantic difference between zones (i.e. revamped High Pass and East Karana). There's a ton of lore that can be found for each of these zones, I'm sure. If not, it wouldn't be that hard to come up with some.

*I'm aware that the Serpent's Spine runs along the Karanas, but it also shoots directly south next to the Rujarkian Hills, so I think the same thing could be done for it as the Karanas
**Much like the Serpent's Spine/Karanas situation, I would have liked to have seen this river implemented in the Oasis of Marr. The river branches off from the Serpent's Spine, and runs into the actual Oasis itself. I'd really only implement it for continuity purposes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyway. That's where I'd at least start with new content, which could easily last you to 65, if done correctly. That was fun, but there's my 2cp. Well... maybe 2pp
Some of these places might also be good logical staging grounds for some of the Planes of Power if one were to get real creative.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Kobold

Ok, I'm going to say this in the MOST HUMBLE way possible....

One can only imagine the only reason so many citizens of the Project 1999 community are actually in favor of this whole PoP thing, is beacuse the person suggesting it has a recognizable name, and has 2000+ posts.
And mage-only port? Really? REALLY? I really didn't think mages were already powerful enough, or had enough utility, or enough reasons for people to play one already.

P.S--You know, I have to just let the cat outta the bag...open Pandora's box. This is a CLASSIC server. If you want PoP, or custom PoP or any other expansions after Velious, Join the Dev team, and make a new server, if there isn't one like this already.
This is such an UTTERLY RIDICULOUS thread, and the irony of it all is if some nobody-casual player like myself, who has a job, who's name nobody recognizes, were to make a suggestion like this, everyone would have opinion and response I do, or worse. Thanks, come again.
Last edited by Intricus; 08-31-2010 at 03:23 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to alexandervaccaro

i thought PoP was an awesome expansion, had a classic-y feel (less PoK). if they can figure out a way to implement that without ruining our EQ, i'm all for it. I have no idea who guineapig is, nor did i realize he had 2000+ posts until you mentioned it. hmmmmm
Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok, I'm going to say this in the MOST HUMBLE way possible....

One can only imagine the only reason so many citizens of the Project 1999 community are actually in favor of this whole PoP thing, is beacuse the person suggesting it has a recognizable name, and has 2000+ posts.
And mage-only port? Really? REALLY? I really didn't think mages were already powerful enough, or had enough utility, or enough reasons for people to play one already.

P.S--You know, I have to just let the cat outta the bag...open Pandora's box. This is a CLASSIC server. If you want PoP, or custom PoP or any other expansions after Velious, Join the Dev team, and make a new server, if there isn't one like this already.
This is such an UTTERLY RIDICULOUS thread, and the irony of it all is if some nobody-casual player like myself, who has a job, who's name nobody recognizes, were to make a suggestion like this, everyone would have opinion and response I do, or worse. Thanks, come again.
Do us a favor:
Read the first post then facepalm yourself please.

This thread is and has always been for fun... not unlike the bacon thread and the make up your own class thread. Lighten up. How is it that Aeolwind, a developer here on p99 can find enjoyment in a hypothetical thread like this yet you can't?

By the way... the mage only port idea came from Aeolwind, not me.

Think before you post.
Last edited by guineapig; 08-31-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Great thread...I kinda view it as what could have happened had the game gone in the direction it should have, had it remained true to the spirit of the original design.

Plenty to think about...especially once P99 runs its course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Aviak

I really like the idea.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Aviak

You know, This is an interesting idea the more I think about it. Making the encounters just as hard as they were or even a little harder and force people to do it with velious level gear. This could offer some real challenge, Kinda like how an expansion called "Planes of Power" should be.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Sarnak

@guineapig: I remember that cloth map, and reading that list of zones gave me the craziest flashback! I had it pinned to my wall for the longest time, and as I loaded through zones I'd look at it and wonder, "Where the %^$@ is that in the game?!"

On the planes: I'm a big fan of duo/solo adventuring. I would love to be able to get to planes alone or with my duo partner. When Velious does come out, will the Plane of Mischief port still be available in The Great Divide? (was it The Great Divide? I know it was moved from the depths of a dragon cave to somewhere more easily accessible..)

I like the idea of stressing the importance of faction by placing the port stones/zones in cities.

Remaster PoP? I honestly am not a fan of the way any of the PoP zones looked. They were too cartooney and seemed poorly thought out. I would love to see these zones completely remastered, recreated with old school textures, a brand new layout, even new monsters and loot.

For instance, I was severely disappointed with the Plane of Disease. The zone was a huge, bland layout and had nothing interesting to look at. I felt it should have been more subtle at first; you zone in to a normal-ish forest, and find mobs like "a diseased rat" for only the first few feet... and then plagued bandits maybe, followed by disease festering corpses slathered in nastiness, and all the while you're trying to navigate through the forest and into a fallen city akin to Qeynos or Freeport where sludge covered floors might be traps into goo and corpses. The closer you got to Bertox, the more disgusting things would get.

Instead, we got, "WE'LL SUBSTITUTE TREES FOR GIANT HAIR! HARR HARR." A lobotomized five year old could have come up with a more creative zone than what Sony slopped together.

I understand creating whole new zones is a time intensive and specialized project, but since this is a hypothetical thread, I can put on my lollipop shoes and skate across a chocolate lake and draw up maps of what I thought the Planes of Power should have looked like.