Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

Most of these suggestions are kinda bad like that one class that was exactly the same as a rogue only you replaced Backstab with Flurry. That's why the berserker was such a superfluous class, it's exactly the same as a rogue. If they did less DPS berserkers would be pissed, if they did more then rogues would be pissed. EQ didn't need any more DPS classes. The beastlord made a little more sense, since they basically threw together all the "underplayed roles" into one class (healing, debuffs, buffs, melee dps, pet). The problem is they did all these things really poorly and to this day are the weakest class in the game. I agree completely that they needed another monk hybrid type class. Leather was the most underused armor type in the game, and the world was becoming flooded with monk style weapons that only one class could use, making monk gear the absolute cheapest in a price vs. performance ratio. So instead of giving our monk hybrid absolutely everything under the sun, let's focus on just one extra role. The one type of class that the game was severely missing around this point was healers. "Back in the day" the world was flooded with tanks, melee dps, and casters, and wasn't nearly as saturated with priests as P99 is. So we end up with a monk/cleric hybrid, which is great since people who hate the idea of sit/stand/heal/sit/repeat will be attracted to the melee aspect of the class. Of course, this concept becomes strikingly similar to a class from a certain EQ successor, hmm...

Disciple

Races: Human, Iksar
Deities: Quellious, Cazic Thule
Armor: Leather
Weapons: Monk weapons (1hb/h2h)
No mana, DPS inbetween a Ranger and a Monk
Abilities: The disciple would gain abilities much like the monk. I'm not going to go through the effort of naming and describing each individual one since there's no point. But say they start with Kick, and then "Lotus Punch" instead of Round Kick which would be a small self-heal and cleanse. Each new ability would have different effects such as a strong group cleanse, group heal, hot, defensive/offensive buffs, etc. They'd have no access to "emergency" heals but adding one to your group would give you both additional dps and some passive healing.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Sarnak

I just always wanted the ability to take a Dark Elf, and have them "See the light" (pardon the inferred race pun). Have them be able to join Good religions, and have Inky Pallies.

NOt every Inky had to be evil, y'know? Same with Ogres and Trolls. Too many people RPing "Good" Inkies, Trolls, and Ogres were SOL, which was sad.

Not to mention: Innorruk would probably cower in fear of an Ogre with Soulfire. >[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wolfang: Human Monk

Estolcles: Human Paladin
*Thread postings and responses are 99.9999% of the time not representing the thoughts and beliefs of Europa, including any/all of it's members and officers.

"You chicken chokin' pecker puke!" ~Terry Funk
Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Fire Giant

I really like the idea of a warrior-wizard hybrid, but I was thinking along a different path. I'd take the class toward a monk-wizard hybrid.

The class (I haven't thought a name yet) would be limited to wearing cloth/leather armor and using H2H weapons. Their melee skills would be less than that of a monk so that their melee dmg would be lower than monks and they would have to rely on their magic-based skills to compensate. By lowering their dual-wield and double attack skills as well as putting a lower cap on kicks they could be handicapped on melee.

Having lower melee though would not mean their DPS is missing but more like they would have to use their skills to make up for it. They would procure their dps through the use of spell-like skills that eat up their endurance, or hell, even give them mana since classic didn't really use stamina as "endurance"... Their skills would eat up mana which means they would be inbetween monks/wizards... they couldn't match the DPS of a monk longterm and couldn't match the dps of a wizard short-term but kind of landed in between.

They would have skills that would give them self-procs which could vary from damage procs to jolt-type to slow procs. Then they would also have skills like thunder-strike that is kind of like a flying kick but would be magic-based and would use up mana. These skills could all vary and would be mostly self only proc-buffs to DD on mobs. Skills would be instant cast of course but still had reuse timers. Skills would be learned(costing money) from guildmasters instead of spell vendors and some skills could drop from monsters. That is very similar to spells and some would say why not use spells instead, but i like the idea of using skills and only having a skill window. They would also have infused throwing daggers with abilities similar to that of berserkers in the utilities aspect like dd and stuns.

They would not have the Feign Death skill that monks/necros/SKs share but instead using Evac spells to still be able to "save the day" kind of thing. The class would receive a skill that self evacs and at higher levels perhaps group evac.

The class would be an excellent group member, but not really a great soloer. They wouldn't be "needed" for any group, but still useful to have. Having their dps coming from skills means the player would actually have to pay attention or their dps would suffer greatly. I imagine this class as a tattooed monk fighting with magic coming out of his fists and when in danger quickly able to evac to safety (if reuse timer on skill is up).

Races would be Humans of course and more wizardly races like Erudites, High Elves and DEs... Iksars wouldn't work well because of their lore/history so I leave them out of it.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Fire Giant

play vanguard.

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Class: Pilgrim
Races: Human, Half Elf, Halfling, Gnome
Deities: All non evil
Armor: Leather/Chain (ranger type gear)
Weapons: 2h piercing, 2hb, Piercing, 1hb
Mana or Stamina: Both
Stat Focus: Int and Sta
Staple Abilities:
- Feign Death (spell)
- Dual Wield
- Double Attack
- Skull Crack line (costs mana) – Frontal “backstab” type ability, meaning immense damage useable a few times during a fight.
() Uses mana to infuse weapon with: Hardening (physical damage) or Power (direct magic damage check), doing damage (of course factoring mob stat checks) comparable to similarly leveled Rogue’s backstab.
- Short duration group buffs, similar to bard songs/yaulp (uses Stamina)
() Speed
() Ac
() Resists

- Direct mana/health replenishment ability (uses Pilgrim’s Health). Pilgrim will drain 99% of their health and automatically Feign Death (losing all agro) and infuses the Pilgrim with a Divine Aura type spell. Other group members are responsible for healing the Pilgrim.
() +health to all group members (direct numbers, possibly a split % of the pilgrims total health multipled by X to make it a viable #)
() +mana to all group members (direct numbers, possibly a split % of the pilgrims total health multipled by X to make it a viable #)

- Cover line (uses Mana). The Pilgrim has the ability to split (to all group members) damage inflicted on the MOB's Target without any agro change.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkhan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like the idea of a warrior-wizard hybrid, but I was thinking along a different path. I'd take the class toward a monk-wizard hybrid.
The problem with that though is that the monk/wizard hybrid has to either be less or more dps than a traditional dps. DPS is higher? Why play a monk (or more accurately, ranger/rogue)? DPS is lower? Why play the monk/wizard hybrid? They'd probably have some additional utility, but its not like 80% of all the classes in the game have extensive utility abilities.

Pure DPS classes really have no place post-vanilla. There's too many as is which is why rangers have a hard time finding their place in the world. Any additional classes pretty much require healing and/or utility. And even that's not good enough, the beastlord wasn't a very great class. You can't just follow the hybrid "a little of this a little of that" style, the class needs unique mechanics. Either triggering abilities through different means so that the playstyle is completely different but the mechanic is the same (like the healer/monk I suggested) or completely new mechanics that don't exist already in EQ.

A lot of MMOs have realized this and is why you see things such as classes having unique "power bars" (WoW), passive targeting (Vanguard), etc.

It takes a lot more than just tossing around whatever you think would sound cool. I like tanks, how about a new tank! The Guardian! Okay, but how will you make it stand out from warrior/paladin/sk? Good question... what about a tank that excels at killing mages. Their physical mitigation is a bit worse than paladin/shadow knight, but they receive a bunch of unique spells. Example: An instant (or nearly instant) buff against one of the resist types... if a mob is casting a fire spell, the Guardian may react and put up a +200 FR buff, and then switch if the mob casts an ice spell, etc.

I pretty much was bullshitting that as I wrote it, but the Guardian could be very viable in EQ, a game that's already extremely tank heavy. Encounters would most likely be required to make them truly viable. So we add in some dungeons and raid bosses who primarily do damage through magic, and now the Guardian is needed to tank here. It works a lot better than "another dps class that does dps in a very slightly different way than the other 30 dps classes."
Last edited by Reiker; 08-18-2010 at 10:39 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via ICQ to Qaedain Send a message via AIM to Qaedain Send a message via MSN to Qaedain

I always wished the charm mechanic had been carved out of the Enchanter's toolset into its own class.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Planar Protector

Well, with classes like Warrior / Rogue still functionally autoattack + 1 (sometimes 2!) buttons, new classes would seem a bit unfair to them~ LDON class revamps (and the endurance resource for abilities and disciplines) -greatly- helped increase class variety and utility.

Vanguard bloodmage (damage to healing) would've been a good start, but I think they would've done that with necro if they wanted a character that powerful o_O (I mean, shit, they didn't even realistically let druids heal til like DODH, Tunare's renewal was like 3000 for 600? Fucking -awful- ~_~)
Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Orc

Off the top of my head:

Technomancer - Gnome/Dwarf/Human/Dark Elf/ Half Elf/ Erudite
uses traps, bombs, guns (summoned or tinkered), can MC mech creatures, summons pets at higher lvls.
Wears cloth with some specialized shoulder pieces and goggles. Predisposed to tinkering.
Hybrid crowd control and dps uses.

Djinn - Gnome/Troll

Perma-levitates and has a SoW line of spells. Has a LoH type cooldown that transforms into a mega tank/dps "Efreeti". Can group transport to nearest zone line. Has blow back DD spells. "Cyclone" line will dmg target and send it into the air for a period of time, or at a slow fall (various uses based on the terrain). Also has a clicky shadowstep on a short cooldown. Other spells mostly DD and elemental based.

Wears cloth. Uses scimitars and wands. Same religions as shamans?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Kobold

Flagellant

Type: Pure Melee
Races: DE, Troll, Iksar
Deities: CT, Inno, Bert
Armor: Leather
Weapons: 1HS / 1HB
Base Abilities:

Feign Death (10)
Dodge (16)
Block (16)
Dual Wield(16)
Mend (20)
Parry(24)
Double Attack(24)

New Abilities:

Flay(8)

When Flay is activated the Flagellant deals all of its combat damage to itself.
The damage incurred is divided amongst their group as a healing affect.
During this time period the Flagellant is immune to healing from outside sources,
including regeneration effects from spells (although innate regeneration is not calculated.)

Sacrifice(32)

Resurrect another player with x percentage of their exp returned, where x equals the flagellants skill level.
(i.e. a flagellant with a skill of 43 in sacrifice would return 43% of the slain persons exp.) Sacrifice would also spawn the targeted player (upon resurrection) with 100% hp & mana.

The downside of this ability is that it kills the Flagellant, without the possibility of exp return upon resurrection (similar to the necromancer spell of the same name) The Sacrifice skill would have a max exp return of 75%

This skill would have a four hour respawn timer that keeps through death - plus a level range of +5-5 to the players level (since the possibly of abuse is extremely high)

The Flagellant would not gain damage bonuses based upon level, and the majority of the 1hs weapons that would be available to it would be whips...