Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Fire Giant

I primarily used weapons all through the 50s. Lull and charm aren't really affected by instruments - at least not to a noticable degree where it made sense to me to switch every time. The mana regen component of songs also isn't affected by instruments. Neither is haste.

Dots are, but I can hardly think of any situations where my group benefitted more from dots than they would have from other songs. HP regen and dmg shields are affected by instruments, but imo it seems like it would be hard for those to out weigh other songs I could play plus bard dps. Bard dps might suck a bit, but with BoH / Guardian Mace I bet bards are able to put out 30ish+ dps melee against exp mobs.

I could be wrong, but chanting with instruments never really made sense to me. Always seemed like I could do more with melee and support songs that weren't affected by instruments.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Aviak

Since we are talking about instruments why is Selo's Drum's of the March like 15-20k whereas Walrus Skin Drum is averaging around 3k. Is the 1 point modifier difference that huge? I'd honestly not buy Selo's Drum and only get one if I could roll to win.

Also, can anyone confirm Walrus Skin Drum only drops in SG? Can it drop from a siren just outside?

On a side note my human bard acquired 5 pieces of Guardian armor in Skyshrine thanks to two people farming for their own alts but only needing 1 specific piece. I got some nice upgrades and I'm rockin the fashion quest even more now. Plus I look wickedly better than those Elf cultural pansies (everyone plays half elf these days...best stats blah blah blah, still ugly af).
Last edited by thewrush; 07-25-2016 at 02:22 PM..
Old 07-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewrush [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On a side note my human bard acquired 5 pieces of Guardian armor in Skyshrine thanks to two people farming for their own alts but only needing 1 specific piece. I got some nice upgrades and I'm rockin the fashion quest even more now. Plus I look wickedly better than those Elf cultural pansies (everyone plays half elf these days...best stats blah blah blah, still ugly af).
If it was this past weekend, you're welcome. Spent entirely too much time trying to get that damn robe.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dots are, but I can hardly think of any situations where my group benefitted more from dots than they would have from other songs. HP regen and dmg shields are affected by instruments, but imo it seems like it would be hard for those to out weigh other songs I could play plus bard dps. Bard dps might suck a bit, but with BoH / Guardian Mace I bet bards are able to put out 30ish+ dps melee against exp mobs.

I could be wrong, but chanting with instruments never really made sense to me. Always seemed like I could do more with melee and support songs that weren't affected by instruments.
I parsed my 46 bard with BoH/GM vs LOIO Bloodgills a couple weeks back. I don't have the log handy but IIRC the results were something like:

Nostrolo's Tambourine
Snare, Fear, Magic Chant, Fire Chant, Frost Chant
~27 dps

BoH / GM
Snare, Fear, L45 Haste, Fire Chant, Frost Chant
~30 dps

Only had song haste, no haste item
Old 07-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Sarnak

That's a pretty close margin. Obviously a better drum increases output, as would worn haste. The ratio on those weapons is solid. Epic would allow you to drop haste and twist in another damage song.

The other thing to consider though is: it is way easier to chant kite than it is to melee with the hitbox issues. Whenever I am doing long fear-kiting sessions I much prefer to chant kite since it's just less strain, you only need to be in melee range once every ~18 seconds for the fear refresh. I start off with a tash orb equipped, I mez / Snare / Fear, then I melee til tash lands, then switch to drum.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Orc

yea do urself a favor and dont be "one of those bards" that just sits there and plays songs. get in there and help dps believe it or not were not to shabby and every little bit helps. At lower levels i just manily use Mana song and when pull comes in ill play haste song then back to mana. Songs are about 18 seconds and having a MMO mouse makes shit alot easier. As u level and get better songs twisting is not that hard at all. Just a little more button work u got to do. Make sure u make /stopsong macros makes life so much easier just got to hit song once instead of twice.

Droobie Snacks LvL 56 Human Druid - Karana
Shagee LvL 26 Halfelf Bard
Last edited by Droobie; 07-27-2016 at 07:42 PM..
Closed Thread