Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lineage was the one that took "sexy chainmail bikini" a few steps too far [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

eq2 on other hand was always criticizes for their ultra-realistic (non fantasy) look of medieval armor. Anyone who wore plate looked like they were wearing a rusted tin bucket...
Give some examples of the "tin buket" look.

You gave us a pic of boobs so give us a pic of the tin bucket.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Old 11-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"8) Too much skin and boobs and muscles in the models"

Lara Croft inspired boobs are mandatory! It makes things sell, have you ever noticed that every EverQuest game box has a large-chested Firiona Vie featured?

But this might be going too far:
I don't play in these games to see tits, I play em to be in another world.

It's ok if there're options, but a lot of times there're not.

Eq1 is nice in this way. The gnomes have big noses and look old. The trolls and ogres are butt ugly. A lot of it's in the facial texture maps since the ratio's between eyes and mouth and nose can be different. The newer eq1 models don't have that. It's nice to see old looking characters in games. Of course, if they're too old it might look wrong if they're a warrior. There're other examples in the eq1 models. But even EQ1 shows too much skin, imho, especially on the woman. I think it adds to a game when there're not just young hunks and sluts.

I guess I could say I like some realism. I'm not sure how mcuh is too much. I just know that I like it usually when I see it. But I know just as well that too mcuh realism can be a chore. Just doesn't happen often. Games are far from being too realistic. Problem I have with them is they're too UNrealistic. Of course, 20 different players might give you 20 different answers about what realism is. But I'd say that we can define realism simply by observing reality and its scientific laws. We can see how it behaves and how it looks and try to emulate it. This is not random, it's a matter of taking our observations and molding them into a computer program. An example of this is when somebody says "The graphics in that game are realistic." They're using their observations in RL and applying them to the game. We can do that with other things too. We can do this because reality is a shared experience and we all have shared DNA too. We're not separate.

I know I'm in a minority. And I know whenever I state my opinions I have 20 people wanting to attack me. But it's just the nature of being who I am. If I'm not mostly alone, that would be news to me.

I'll go back to my cave now. The one that says Do Not Enter.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 11-22-2012 at 03:23 AM..
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Give some examples of the "tin buket" look.

You gave us a pic of boobs so give us a pic of the tin bucket.

To add to these - 90% of the armor of same type looks almost the same and for all racess. You know how how people like to rant that Luclin took away textured graphics? EQ2 done even worse - there is not even race special looks. The plate "bucket" looks absolutely the same for any race.

Yeah in WoW same specific armor has same texture for the races, but WoW has tons of different textures, even for most basic armors you can get in low levels.
On EQ2 all crafted armor from 1 to 80 uses exactly same texture for all races, minus color tint variations. Some raiding/quested armor has slightly different look, but not better by much. Compared to that Luclin armors are simply gorgeous.

I am not asking for Lineage/Terra slat-house (even thought they do have tons and tons different textures btw), but for fantasy game, the armor should exhibit SOME fantasy qualities. Real medieval armor did look like metal bucket cause it had to be that way for practical purposes. Magical armor doesn't have to be.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To add to these - 90% of the armor of same type looks almost the same and for all racess. You know how how people like to rant that Luclin took away textured graphics? EQ2 done even worse - there is not even race special looks. The plate "bucket" looks absolutely the same for any race.

Yeah in WoW same specific armor has same texture for the races, but WoW has tons of different textures, even for most basic armors you can get in low levels.
On EQ2 all crafted armor from 1 to 80 uses exactly same texture for all races, minus color tint variations. Some raiding/quested armor has slightly different look, but not better by much. Compared to that Luclin armors are simply gorgeous.

I am not asking for Lineage/Terra slat-house (even thought they do have tons and tons different textures btw), but for fantasy game, the armor should exhibit SOME fantasy qualities. Real medieval armor did look like metal bucket cause it had to be that way for practical purposes. Magical armor doesn't have to be.
While I won't say the above EverQuest 2 armors are great or terrible, I will say that MMORPGs focus too much on armor looks. IF they spent half the time on gameplay as they do on 'gear' aesthetics we'd have a pretty awesome game.

As a natural progression, better gear (and by extension better looking) became part of the carrot.

However it's passe now and we're beyond that.
You look at any genre of video games, and the adage of Gameplay>Graphics is making a return.

Much like the majority of items/armor in the Elder Scrolls series, we should go back to an art style that is very realism and historical based.
Additionally a large portion of items should not have + stats or magical properties, so you don't chase after or seek out new armor as a means of progression.

Clothing is clothing. You wear it just to cover ones self. It offers no protection and certainly cannot be + fire resistant!
Leather is often a deterrent against weather and carries reusable practicality.
Chain and plate is for maximum protection yet is not something you wear all the time.

Whether it's PCs or NPCs(even worse when it's NPCs), seeing characters constantly in full battle gear no matter where they are, really kills immersion.

Some games are starting to use 'town dress' like in Guild Wars 2, however it's optional where as I would expect it to be mandatory (automatic switch when you enter a town, and has multiple random outfits[not too many though]). Ideally your 'equipment' would rarely ever change look, style and the patterns and for the most part they would be often virtually identical - cause let's face it, a pair of leather pantaloons is not going to be that diverse.

If they take the focus away from this aspect then most people will eventually get over it - and good riddance to the socialites who can't get past it, because they're just a waste of server space anyways.
Seems the proof is in the pudding when you ask nine of ten Elder Scroll type players, and they'll say they have no interest in how their armor looks, they just want good damage reduction to weight ratio. Otherwise, it's all about game play.

Really Sony only has to accomplish two things - make an Elder Scrolls style MMORPG* and add in some modern day convenience features that have become mainstream(but with their own Sony style to it) to help accommodate large scale social interaction.

*Unlike Elder Online which will be a lobby type connection game.

Unfortunately in my above suggestion I feel the latter (social features with Sony's style) is going to be their main attraction...like face (webcam) recognition for real time emotes... great technology..but it's still fluff.
Last edited by Hollywood; 11-25-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
"sexy chainmail bikini" a few steps too far
I don't really agree with this statement, there is no such thing as too far with chainmail bikini's...
Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Much like the majority of items/armor in the Elder Scrolls series, we should go back to an art style that is very realism and historical based.
Well I have to disagree a bit here.
yes but all means Gameplay >>> Graphics, but when it does comes to graphics, it should match the theme.

If you playing Medieval Total War - then yes your armor should be realistic, but If we talking fantasy game, the magical armor should look more than a typical medieval one.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Kobold

Are graphics really that important to people? I never really cared, hell I always turn down graphic settings for every game to just make sure I optimize my output but yeah graphics have never been a deal breaker for me, hell I'm playing P99 and the graphics are horrible...