Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:23 PM
Planar Protector

Default Solo Artist Challenge 2 - Rebooted - brainstorming thread

So the old Solo Artist Challenge (SAC) thread has served its purpose to the fullest. Many a glorious hero has left their legacy in that thread for generations of nerds to admire.

However, not only it's locked, it's also obsolete.

So many things changed since it started - lazy aggro, invis pulling, sneak pulling, Velious to name a few. Some achievements are now a lot harder to pull off or even maybe impossible.

We need a new SAC. I'm volunteering to be the SAC2 maintainer.

I've been thinking of what SAC2 could be. It should be a complete reboot of everything and reflect the current state of P99.

Please contribute your thoughts and let's figure something out that will be considered as acceptable by most. After we reach enough compromise on the rules, I will compile the rules, submit it for peer review and make the actual SAC2 thread.

So here are a few starting thoughts.

Ranks

Instead of having the ranks such as Solo GM or Duo Legend that sometimes make it hard to quickly visualise what has actually been achieved by the person, maybe we could have per-zone ranks. Challenge mobs would be grouped by these ranks, and you'd need to kill all the zone mobs of a particular rank to reach it for that zone. To reach a particular rank you must also complete all the lower ranks for that zone.

Quick example, for HS - just for the sake of the example:

To achieve rank 1 you must be able to break and keep the basement main room clear
To achieve rank 2 you must kill all non-boss named in North
To achieve rank 3 you must kill the Crypt Keeper (North boss - certainly a tougher encounter than the other named in the wing)
To achieve rank 4 you must kill the West wing Boss

Etc etc.

So people would have different ranks for each zone. For example, someone who likes HS and fights there a lot on their enchanter, achieved rank 7 in HS. They also tried soloing some Seb on the enchanter but didn't go very far, only achieved rank 2. However, on their shaman, they happened to fare better in Seb, and achieve rank 4. They also duoed Chardok (on shaman with a monk pal) quite a bit and killed everything up to rank 5.

This someone's particular SAC2 achievement "fingerprint" would be:
HSe7-OSe2-OSs4-CHs4dm. It could actually be used in forum signatures etc.

The fingerprint means - "Howling Stones enchanter solo rank 7, Old Sebilis enchanter solo rank 2, Old Sebilis solo shaman rank 4, Chardok duo shaman with monk rank 4".

The fingerprint could be of course extended to account for modifiers such as strong item clickies and whatnot. The fingerprint is called the SAC2CODE, or S2C. Some of you might know the Geek Code from the 80s. S2C would be a geek code but just for EQ nerds.

Does this seem too complicated? I like the idea of being able to put your whole soloing resume in a single line in your forum signature.
People who are actually capable of soloing zones like Seb or HS or SG should have very little difficulty decyphering or creating S2C tags.

Now just a few random thoughts open to debate.

1) Item clickies. It's important to make a precise list of clickies that are considered as "strong", per class. For example, Soulfire would be strong for every class, but Puppet Strings is only strong for anyone but an enchanter (Wand of Alllure hardly considered strong clicky and is the same as Puppet Strings but with less charges). A Reaper would not be strong item for any class. (Just for the sake of the example - open to debate of course)

2) What is considered killing a mob. My opinion is that having people clear the area then solo pull a mob for you to kill, most of the time, isn't worth much and shouldn't even be an option for SAC2. Most of the time, dealing with the surroundings is at least half the challenge. I'd say - for an encounter to be considered valid, you must zone in to a full respawn as far as your mob is concerned, clear to the mob yourself, and kill the mob dealing with the surroundings yourself. Doesn't mean the zone has to be empty, but it must be as hard for you to achieve as if the zone was empty. Example: you waltz through Seb down to bugs because some group just cleared the way, and realize it's open and Necrosis scarab just popped and is sitting there alone. You pull and kill it it, grats. But this doesn't count for SAC2. You didn't have to deal with all the mobs from ZI to the actual camp and you didn't have to deal with the adds near the mob. Try to do this again when everything is popped and there's no interference from anyone.

3) Melees. Given how few melees were interested in the SAC1, even though they had a particular rule of being able to be buffed by others, I tend to think that this particular rule should no longer exist. Self buffs only, period. It's a great deal harder for the melees, but the same rules for everyone would make it easier to compare achievements. So it's self buffs only for everyone. Of course, potions are allowed.

4) Level. Some kills have been posted in SAC1 that were impressive only because the player was particularly low level as opposed to the encounter. I'm not sure how to deal with it. Maybe disregard that altogether? Or create "leagues", for lower level players? I tend to think that "disregard that altogether" is probably best. These low level achievements were fairly rare, although usually quite impressive.

Please comment, add ideas, etc.

As far as actual ranks and mob lists for zones, it's out of our scope for now. Let's get the rest out of the way first, then we can work on compiling a list of zones, mobs and ranks.

</textwall>
Old 03-31-2017, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

Keep in mind that I haven't played hardly at all since Velious and that I'm not playing right now... but here are my opinions, given that:

I like the old ranking system in how it focused on soloing in general rather than on one zone at a time. To earn any sort of "achievement" you had to hit different types of enemies in different locations, to emphasize that you were a solo artist and not just a sebilis artist or a HS artist. It made classes get out of their comfort zone (like a shaman doing HS south or a chanter fighting something that can't be mezzed or a necro visiting a zone with shitty undead charm options) to show what they could do to earn a rank.

I'm of the mind of giving a special bonus for a pure kill... i.e. not outleveled, no clickies, only self-buffed, no assistance getting to the NPC or with the pull. And then anything short of that gets qualified. A notation if you had outside buffs, a notation of what clickies you needed, of what level you finished it at if not 60, etc. It's all about fun after all, and it's fun to read about people pulling off fights even if they didn't do it without a couple of root nets or they were a SK that pulled off a tough fight but only because of some extra buffs ahead of time. Besides, it lets people who are up for it to try for a pure rank.

But looks pretty good overall. I certainly don't have the motivation to organize a new challenge ruleset!
Old 03-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Sarnak

+6 dragons, A4 in PoM, Mini in hate, brood mother, frenzied, dogs in velks, the named in SG, BB in PoM, chardok royals, ragefire, how far in sky can you duo? Some ideas
Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 PM
Aviak

I think having Solo only would be a good idea. No duo/trios etc. Or make it a separate thread or very clearly distinct. The first SAC had it intermingled and made it hard to interpret. My favorite stuff was always the true 1 man solo achievements.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 PM
Planar Protector

This thread is classist. What's a cleric able to prove? I did 45-49 at specs in Oasis... does that count?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:50 AM
Fire Giant

There should be a point system for solo feats. 3 points for a kill, Subtract 1 point for strong clickies, subtract 1 point for help pulling or help clearing the trash in the way.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:52 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep in mind that I haven't played hardly at all since Velious and that I'm not playing right now... but here are my opinions, given that:

I like the old ranking system in how it focused on soloing in general rather than on one zone at a time. To earn any sort of "achievement" you had to hit different types of enemies in different locations, to emphasize that you were a solo artist and not just a sebilis artist or a HS artist. It made classes get out of their comfort zone (like a shaman doing HS south or a chanter fighting something that can't be mezzed or a necro visiting a zone with shitty undead charm options) to show what they could do to earn a rank.

I'm of the mind of giving a special bonus for a pure kill... i.e. not outleveled, no clickies, only self-buffed, no assistance getting to the NPC or with the pull. And then anything short of that gets qualified. A notation if you had outside buffs, a notation of what clickies you needed, of what level you finished it at if not 60, etc. It's all about fun after all, and it's fun to read about people pulling off fights even if they didn't do it without a couple of root nets or they were a SK that pulled off a tough fight but only because of some extra buffs ahead of time. Besides, it lets people who are up for it to try for a pure rank.

But looks pretty good overall. I certainly don't have the motivation to organize a new challenge ruleset!
Try to die nearish a door where drumas or i can drag you from [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-02-2017, 12:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This thread is classist. What's a cleric able to prove? I did 45-49 at specs in Oasis... does that count?
Clerics got pretty legit abilities to kill anything solo with puppet strings. I even think they probably got the best chance to kill a non slowable mob.

You can count on me tho to participate if the challenge ever see the day!
Fuggernaught Druid 60
Aylar Lie Rogue 60
Extravadance Bard 60
Winajil Shaman 60
Raylei Mule
<Riot>
Old 04-02-2017, 12:28 AM
Banned

Achievement: Go Outside
Old 04-02-2017, 12:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clerics got pretty legit abilities to kill anything solo with puppet strings. I even think they probably got the best chance to kill a non slowable mob.

You can count on me tho to participate if the challenge ever see the day!
Ooohhh... good point! Didn't consider strings.
Closed Thread