Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noselacri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People who tell you rangers become great are lying. They get a few things that make them a somewhat viable class, which it frankly isn't until then, but it's still the worst class in the game until the Luclin/PoP era. What rangers gain in Velious amounts pretty much to a spell that lets you level solo, and a discipline that makes it not completely idiotic to bring a ranger to raids. The class will still be the worst in all the categories in which it has a foot in the door -- the worst tank of all the taunt classes, the worst heals of all classes that get healing spells, the worst DPS of the classes that can be qualified as actual DPS classes, the worst buffs, the worst nukes/dots. The worst in the game at everything you can do (except tracking and archery, wahey!), and to make matters worse, the most overplayed class in the game happens to have better versions of every spell you have. Then some simpletons will tell you that every class is fine and player skill can magically eliminate all of the aforementioned disadvantages, but the fact remains that the ranger class is by far the most underpowered in the history of MMORPGs. Play ranger if you can live with those shortcomings, not because you think they can be avoided through sheer love of your class or some bullshit.
What he said. Very smart person. And I have a Ranger. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] In this game they suck ass plain and simple. If you have the plat for a Fungi and a CoF well maybe till level 50. They make great pullers with Harmony in outdoor zones. But they are a Paper Tank. They just are not made to get hit. They are the same as a Rogue or a Bard tanking. God help us. I knew there was a reason I didn't really want to be a Cleric lol.
Last edited by webrunner5; 03-01-2013 at 05:37 AM..
Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 AM
Aviak

I'm late to this thread so maybe this has been answered. But do rangers become good DPS in Velious? My only experience with them as DPS is Luclin+, when they really became a DPS class because of AAs, etc. (And I so loved "accidentally" standing in front of them at raids).
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Planar Protector

What do you mean by good? If you mean any DPS=good, well then sure. If you mean hugely better than any other melee class, then no. Well ok, you can out-dps plate classes on a pretty regular basis, but monks & rogues will usually blow you away.
Last edited by fadetree; 03-01-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Banned

most dps will want call of the predator ( i think that was the name) and tanks want the paladin hp buff in velious.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

All the TRUE tanks really don't do that much DPS. They are there to hold agro and get beat on. Pretty much your job.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Aviak

Warriors can do pretty decent DPS if they don't have to tank.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Sarnak

The defense cap issue only really pertains to mobs of levels greater to 51, lower than that rangers that focus on ac can tank mobs lower than the rangers level well. The majority of my time in Karnors 51-56 was spent in the roll of tank. Druids could heal me, shaman could heal me, clerics were bored of healing me.

I sometimes tank in sebilis though the defense cap issue is much more clearly revealed in sebilis and I try not to tank even cons or greater.

In groups we are very useful unless the group has a perfect balance, even then one LD tank and who is tanking, the cleric, the enchanter, or the rogue? Enchanter dies or LD, flame lick aggro and root park 3 mobs, then tank them down one by one.

In raids the tanks are defined and rangers become dps with utility. Moving to next target the ranger can toss a regen on their necro and patch heal people up to save the cleric's time, mana, and concentration.

You can build a "perfect" group warrior ench cleric rogue rogue rogue but it has very little flexibility if one of the trinity drops, and thats if you can find all of those available. In the real world xp and farming groups are usually made up of what is available and in those situations rangers are a great addition that provides a lot of flexibility to resist changing circumstances.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noselacri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People who tell you rangers become great are lying. They get a few things that make them a somewhat viable class, which it frankly isn't until then, but it's still the worst class in the game until the Luclin/PoP era. What rangers gain in Velious amounts pretty much to a spell that lets you level solo, and a discipline that makes it not completely idiotic to bring a ranger to raids. The class will still be the worst in all the categories in which it has a foot in the door -- the worst tank of all the taunt classes, the worst heals of all classes that get healing spells, the worst DPS of the classes that can be qualified as actual DPS classes, the worst buffs, the worst nukes/dots. The worst in the game at everything you can do (except tracking and archery, wahey!), and to make matters worse, the most overplayed class in the game happens to have better versions of every spell you have. Then some simpletons will tell you that every class is fine and player skill can magically eliminate all of the aforementioned disadvantages, but the fact remains that the ranger class is by far the most underpowered in the history of MMORPGs. Play ranger if you can live with those shortcomings, not because you think they can be avoided through sheer love of your class or some bullshit.
Being the "worst of" is pretty much the same story for all hybrids (ranger/paladin/SK/bard) isn't it? Isn't that what's called utility? Let's consider
that most pure melee (Warrior/Monk/Rogue) have like 0 in most of those areas,
so maybe rangers aren't "the worst". I think playing a pure melee would bore
me to tears, so please give me the 'most underpowered in the history of MMORPGs' class...

Was nice that griefers like you had to eat some serious crow when PoP + Archery AAs came out. Rangers became THE BEST class to play and one of the MOST powerful!

I salute any Ranger on 'live' who stuck it out that long and got richly rewarded for years of grief...
Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Kobold

oh they became quite good..

but we aren't going to get those abilities here that fixes it.. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being the "worst of" is pretty much the same story for all hybrids (ranger/paladin/SK/bard) isn't it? Isn't that what's called utility? Let's consider
that most pure melee (Warrior/Monk/Rogue) have like 0 in most of those areas,
so maybe rangers aren't "the worst". I think playing a pure melee would bore
me to tears, so please give me the 'most underpowered in the history of MMORPGs' class...

Was nice that griefers like you had to eat some serious crow when PoP + Archery AAs came out. Rangers became THE BEST class to play and one of the MOST powerful!

I salute any Ranger on 'live' who stuck it out that long and got richly rewarded for years of grief...
Stop being emotionally involved by "your" class. Rangers never get good in the era of this server, PoP and archery AAs aren't even relevant to this discussion.

Paladins/Shadow-knight are non-ideal tanks, but fulfill the tank role in everything but raid content. They get a pass in groups because we will deal with the penalty due to a lack of tanks at times. Without the tank there just can't be a group.

Bards get a pass because they can iffy fulfill the slot of an enchanter. They are also a good 5th-6th slot due to the many things they can bring to a group. They are highly desirable on raids.

RANGERS DON'T GET A PASS
They are just DPS. Monk>Rogue>Warrior>RANGER. For every 1 ranger I can find maybe 3-4 monks, 3-4 warriors, and 2-3 rogues on any given day. There is no reason to shoulder the burden of a poorly designed class when better replacements can be found in abundance.
Closed Thread