Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Fire Giant

I like the concept of practice to get the skill up, but in the spectrum of fun vs tedious, EverQuest was way far on the tedious end.

I think a system like that can be implemented that strikes a balance so you aren't standing around in the EC tunnel casting your shit over and over lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Pantheon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No...no...no..................
--------
Skill Chains and Sympathetics

Skill chains are a series of super abilities executed in a particular order. These abilities are executed by multiple players. When a skill chain is completed an additional effect fires, this effect is called a sympathetic ability. There is only a certain window of time between each ability activation that the next qualifying one can be. If the player has discovered the chain their ability will light up if they have a qualifying ability letting them know they need to fire that ability next in order to take the chain to the next level.

Chain discovery occurs through experimentation. In order to discover they must try different combinations until they successfully complete the chain. When a chain is initially discovered it is entered into the tome of war. Only through practice can the player unlock the chain, fully gaining its biggest benefit.
-------

What I hated most from EverQuest 2 is making its way into Pantheon. FML.
I'm glad you brought up Eq2 in this example. We've already discussed that as a team as one of our concerns, we don't want it to take on that implementation in Pantheon. If I had to cite an example though, FFXI's skillchain system would be a better one for what we want to do.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Sarnak

Dear Ceythos,

You and your team are amazing. Can we make an EQEmulator zone for you and have it added to Pantheon?

Much love,
Secrets
Old 01-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Pantheon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grozmok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like the concept of practice to get the skill up, but in the spectrum of fun vs tedious, EverQuest was way far on the tedious end.

I think a system like that can be implemented that strikes a balance so you aren't standing around in the EC tunnel casting your shit over and over lol
Agreed, striking a balance between naturally skilling up through regular gamplay vs tediously casting an ability will be on our minds. Using Divination as an example, what if there'd been a skill that let you tell more about a mob beyond just /conning them, like you could see hidden buffs or debuffs on the mob with the right spell? Maybe not the best example, I'm still working on my first cup of coffee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Large Rat

Ive backed Pantheon with $100 dollars!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Pantheon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_gnoll_pup [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dear Ceythos,

You and your team are amazing. Can we make an EQEmulator zone for you and have it added to Pantheon?

Much love,
Secrets
Unfortunately I think SOE and their legal team might take issue with that, but thank you for the thought and the compliment [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Pantheon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbercub [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ive backed Pantheon with $100 dollars!
Thank you! and to everyone else for any pledges and the continued discussions.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceythos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately I think SOE and their legal team might take issue with that, but thank you for the thought and the compliment [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, I meant in terms of content itself - ie; we'd prototype the zone in EQEmulator/EQ Client, and change the models/textures on production. We have the ability to add doors to make a flat, grassy zone into an entirely new area. Please see the following if you have time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuIMrW7QOzI

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGRINKNVx5A
Last edited by a_gnoll_pup; 01-26-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Fire Giant

skilling up was only annoying because a class wouldn't get an ability of that school at an early level. Even if it's from a lame spell at least we will have access to something from the beginning to use in the course of normal play and it won't turn into this have to sit somewhere casting over and over for half the day.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Fire Giant

Any thoughts on your death mechanic yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Closed Thread