Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Did Ventrilo (and it's successors) make online gaming better?
It ruined the game: I'm not playing an online game to talk to offline people. 114 58.46%
It made the game better: I don't mind talking to an occassional idiot for badass timed head-shots. 81 41.54%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Fire Giant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Wilco_(software)

This is what I used. Vent didn't exist, other VOIP programs did.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
target rings are to non classic as voip is to non classic
We can't enforce 'not using voip'. It's not possible with all of the different ways to communicate. We can, and did remove target rings, because it is within our control.

However, if removing voip was an option, I'd consider it. If somehow it was possible to know what % of messages were sent via /tell versus how many were spoken on voip, on eqlive, from 1999-2001, I'd imagine the result would be 99.9% text tells.

I also consider it a personal preference. I was a pvp guild leader in wow (lolz yea) and the first rule of my guild was no voip for raids. If people couldn't read, they couldn't be in my guild.

So, do I think that voip progressed mmorpgs? I think it progressed the MMO, at the expense of the RPG.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

The argument whether vent is classic is moot. It's neither classic nor post-classic. Classic and post-classic are more appropriate to apply to features within the game mechanics, client, etc.

A technology separate from EQ that was only used in a limited capacity back then is very commonplace now. That's the only difference. If you think it ruins your immersion, don't do it.

But if you're going to argue that players may only use comparable technology that only existed back in 2000/1999, are you going to pull out your Pentium 3's and roll with 32-64 GB's of RAM? Because it took me 90-120 seconds to zone during off-peak hours back then. It takes me about 10-15 seconds now. That's a major advantage.

Are you going to go with dial-up if Broadband wasn't available to you back in 2000? Because to many, it wasn't. Broadband is all over the place now.

Are you going to put away your 25" widescreen LCD and pull out a 16' white tube screen that puts a crapton of stress on your eyes?

Vent is merely a technology innovation that makes coordination easier. It has nothing to do with EQ itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, do I think that voip progressed mmorpgs? I think it progressed the MMO, at the expense of the RPG.
That's a good way to put it.

I can see not wanting dumb people in your guild, but with WoW raids sometimes you had to have voice chat. If someone did screw up/get hit by something/have something targeting them that few seconds it takes to type it out as opposed to just saying it could mean the difference between a wipe or not. Hell, WoW had a built-in voice chat (that I don't think ever actually worked).
Old 12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We can't enforce 'not using voip'. It's not possible with all of the different ways to communicate. We can, and did remove target rings, because it is within our control.

However, if removing voip was an option, I'd consider it. If somehow it was possible to know what % of messages were sent via /tell versus how many were spoken on voip, on eqlive, from 1999-2001, I'd imagine the result would be 99.9% text tells.

I also consider it a personal preference. I was a pvp guild leader in wow (lolz yea) and the first rule of my guild was no voip for raids. If people couldn't read, they couldn't be in my guild.

I remember our guild officers creating like 5-10 macros each that handled all the aspects of a fight. Tank switches, CH chains, commands for clerics to camp, I had macros for secondary pullers to grab stuff from me, etc, often using the %T and similar wildcard elements... It required a lot of creativity with the text elements of the game.

Hey, that's cool if people want to really immerse themselves without VOIP assistance - and i'm sure it's possible - but I don't see it as superior in a "classic" sense.

Quote:
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Sarnak

I barely even care about voice chat. They had VOIP in 1999? I didn't know that. I can accept that. I'm not on any crusade. I didn't start the thread. I'm simply responding to the question put forth by the thread.

Just don't talk shit about my analogies. Especially if you don't understand the concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's just as easy for him to google or have bookmarks for town maps...It's not being a dick to refuse to help people who refuse to help themselves.
Do I need anymore proof that you're a condescending prick? You think when people ask for a loc they really never heard of eq atlas or google? Just give them the loc.Its called courtesy.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkMasterson1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just don't talk shit about my analogies. Especially if you don't understand the concept.
Understood. So you admit your initial statement was an analogy? This whole thing would be over had you done that sooner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Oh, but expect me to "talk shit" about whatever I want. I wasn't insulting you - just the analogy made. And yeah, again, it was an analogy. Maybe I could have been nicer about it or used more neutral language. That's fine - but I wasn't offensive in any way nor did I direct anger at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkMasterson1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do I need anymore proof that you're a condescending prick? You think when people ask for a loc they really never heard of eq atlas or google? Just give them the loc.Its called courtesy.
See, here's the real beginning of the "shit talking". And although it actually ended a few posts ago, the official end of real conversation is marked here.

I'll continue giving people the resources to help themselves and call it better than courtesy. You can waste your time assuming you know anything about someone else's character based solely on whether they give someone a loc in EQ.

Quote:
Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Sarnak

I was refering to the later post that actually used an analogy. The earlier, non-analogy, post remains correct as I originally posted it.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned

pfft when forced to use i'd install and mute simple fix really
Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Aviak

I can't say it hurt MMO's, it probably makes them more fun in my opinion...and if you don't want to use it, then don't....of course that might exclude you from certain guilds, but you aren't in multiplayer game to meet other players anyway, right?!?! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread