Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Sarnak

6/10
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Bison [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have none of you heard of the Marvel Multiverse? Marvel has done this several times, characters associations and origins and even timelines are completely up to whoever is writing it. The characters in the movie exist in an alternate continuity then the characters you are all mentioning from the animated series. Although i dont know exactly which continuity, or "universe" this movie takes place in, the fact that it lacks continuity with other films/comics means little really. I mean, look at the Noir alternate continuity, the xmen are a bunch of juvenile delinquents using their mutant powers for evil, and the head detective tracking them down is magneto...Does that follow any movie or cartoon you've ever seen? If you try and compare and criticize this movie based on the other movies/comics/cartoons you've seen, it's never going to be as good as them, because it is different. Just take it for face value. If you didn't like it that's fine, but not liking it because it "didn't stay true to the personalities of many of the popular characters, and they even had trouble staying continuous with the recent X-men movies" is dumb imo.
I mentioned that they had trouble following the continuity of the recent X-men movies because I'm pretty sure it was their intention to be continuous with those movies. If it wasn't, I stand corrected.

The rest of what I said was an explanation of why I liked the interpretation I was familiar with. Obviously I'm aware that coming up with new interpretations of comic book characters is the norm. But some interpretations deviate so much from previous ones that I can't help but find them silly. I can't think of any continuity in which the professor or mystique were butchered as much as they were in this movie.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Bison [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have none of you heard of the Marvel Multiverse? Marvel has done this several times, characters associations and origins and even timelines are completely up to whoever is writing it. The characters in the movie exist in an alternate continuity then the characters you are all mentioning from the animated series. Although i dont know exactly which continuity, or "universe" this movie takes place in, the fact that it lacks continuity with other films/comics means little really. I mean, look at the Noir alternate continuity, the xmen are a bunch of juvenile delinquents using their mutant powers for evil, and the head detective tracking them down is magneto...Does that follow any movie or cartoon you've ever seen? If you try and compare and criticize this movie based on the other movies/comics/cartoons you've seen, it's never going to be as good as them, because it is different. Just take it for face value. If you didn't like it that's fine, but not liking it because it "didn't stay true to the personalities of many of the popular characters, and they even had trouble staying continuous with the recent X-men movies" is dumb imo.
Well said.

Basically, you just have to see it for yourself and judge it for what it is instead of trusting someone's opinion on a forum. I enjoyed it as a fun comic book movie. I appreciated the 60's spy movie style that they stuck with throughout the movie. The end credits design was a nice touch too. Yes, the continuity issues are obvious. The writers and directors knew this when they made it and didn't care. It wasn't perfect but it was much better that X-Men origins Wolverine (in my opinion). Anyway, I'm just holding out hope for an awesome Deadpool movie in 2014. As long as they get that one right this new x-men trilogy doesn't matter too much to me.
Last edited by guineapig; 06-14-2011 at 11:11 AM..
Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Wolverine's movie was absolutely horrible. Didn't they even give Sabertooth the claws like Wolverine's (albiet out of bone instead of the metal)?

As for the First Class, I feel they didn't develop the relationship between Magneto and Xavier as well as they should have. I also wish that the first class had been composed of more traditional members of the XMEN. I was let down to not see Cyclops or Jean Grey, etc.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wolverine's movie was absolutely horrible.
Yes, but aside from the end, it was tolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't they even give Sabertooth the claws like Wolverine's (albiet out of bone instead of the metal)?
No, they were extended fingernails like they should have been. That doesn't mean they got everything right (i.e. Deadpool was completely jacked up).

Quote:
As for the First Class, I feel they didn't develop the relationship between Magneto and Xavier as well as they should have. I also wish that the first class had been composed of more traditional members of the XMEN. I was let down to not see Cyclops or Jean Grey, etc.
I completely agree.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Large Rat

i liked the movie personally. originally i didn't care much for some of the mutants but they kept emphasizing the evolution of humans into mutants but it also deals with the evolution of mutants into better mutants.

if you take that into consideration you might think its better than most people are saying it is.

personally i thought it was a good popcorn movie. not every super hero movie will be on par with the dark night but that doesn't mean they aren't worth watching.
Closed Thread