Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Fire Giant

Default Buying a new camera

It's that time again for me to blow off a bunch of money on something i don't technically need... Last year it was a bigger tv, the year before that it was a row-boat for fishing.

This year? A camera.

I have about $1000 limit for a dSLR -- the choices have been narrowed down to these (provided no one else has better suggestions)

a) Nikon D60 (refurbished) with a 18-55mm lens and a 70-300mm zoom lens for about 500

or

b) Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera with Nikon AF-S DX 18-135mm lens for just under 1k (my limit)

I may buy a zoom lens for the D90 eventually, but it has a long enough zoom to keep me happy for the time being.

Anyways, the goal I am looking for with a camera is mostly natural beauty (nature) shots / lightning and low-lighting shots.

Created by Uuur//Ihealyou -- Mad props!
Last edited by Hobby; 06-17-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Fire Giant

Honestly if I were you I would get a telescope for a few hundred bucks instead.

Can get an 8inch for real cheap even 10 inch for 500: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGEQ8wIwAQ

You could also get an 8 inch and a camera and maybe cheap motor system and do some astrophotog. Would be much better than buying a 1000 dollar camera imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Aviak

What are you suppose to do with the camera?
Personally, I would have chosen a cheap camera and a just a bit finer lens. Perhaps a fixed 50mm lens with a large aperture and fast autofocus.

Like most beginners(dont know if you are it, not saying you are) buying a expensive camera with a cheaper lens, since they think the camera is more importen.
But the lens is the most importen thing, when takeing picture and wanting nice pictures.

If you think you will buy "old" autofocus lenses, which do not have AF-S, you should probably have a D90. Otherwise D3100 probably the logical choice, fully on par with the D60 and the picture quality even equal to or slightly better than the D90.
But remember lenses with AF-S is more expensive then others, so if you wanna buy cheap lenses go for the D90

And i recomend to buy a macro, for some nice outdoors pictures.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Fire Giant

The main thing i am needing is a large ISO range, a large shutterspeed range (maxing out at 30seconds is perfect, anymore more is almost worthless)...having a 'bulb' exposure mode as well as a shutter-release cable capable ** having a high FPS ability is nice as well, 3 + per second is great **

Anyways, those are the settings I have been looking for. The D90 is alittle more camera then I need...The D80 is about a hundred bucks cheaper, and provides the base settings that I am looking for...

Old 06-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Aviak

then i would say go for the D90 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Fire Giant

D80* D90 has miminal advantage over the D80 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Aviak

There is not much difference in the external terms on d80/d90 like you say, and the house is basically the same and hence where the choice is completely irrelevant.
The difference is, however, the inside,which the D90 has inherited from d300'an and things that are not found in any other camera from Nikon yet .. that movie function.

But .. D80 is obviously still a great camera, but money is no problem to buy in on a newer system.

D80/D90 is easy to grow in and is a full-featured D-SLR with many functions and is also beginner-friendly.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Kobold

iTT: hipsters argue over who has the bigger zoom
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimsin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hipster
get out
Closed Thread