Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:19 AM
Kobold

Cool Tips for a new Warrior

Hello all,

I've decided I want to try my hand at a warrior and am looking for guidance on a few things.

1. Race: Really only looking at Dwarf, Barbarian, and Iksar. Any issues with these races or is one a significantly better warrior than the others?

2. Taunt: I've heard that holding aggro is tough for warriors until later. Is there anything I can do about that? If I plan to tank am I better off with a paladin or SK?

3. Tank or damage: Am I limited to tanking or can warriors do decent damage?

4. Gear: Any tips on a good place to gear up? I'm told that warriors are very gear dependant so I'd like to tackle this early if possible.

Any help is much appreciated. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-06-2016, 03:56 AM
Banned

1: As far as I know besides Ogre being heavily favored there isn't much racial preference for warriors beyond that.

2: Warrior aggro sucks in the early levels. Even later levels you'll never have aggro on par with SK/Pal but they can't tank raid mobs like you can. Aggro starts to get better at 37? Whenever Ykesha weapons start proccing. At 60 as long as people aren't dumb about going too hard on dmg/debuffs too early you'll hold aggro fine.

3: Warriors do moderate damage. Not on a Rogue/Monk level but not bad.

4: Can't help you much there. Like any class starting out my advice is to save up for HP rings and (if melee) a decent weapon before anything else. As far as places to go to camp warrior gear while you're leveling I really don't know. Will this be your main char or do you have higher lvl chars to farm with and fund some basic EC tunnel purchases?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:33 AM
Fire Giant

1. All those races are fine really. Dwarf best stats for small races plus they can wear enchanted dwarven armor, which is crazy good for the price. Barb get slam which also very handy to time stunts, and Iksar regen. Enough said.

2. You will have a hard time with taunt, its not reliable. Best bet before 40 to sort of keep aggro is to get dual jade mace and a fbss, but thats expensive.

3. Warrior dps is fine with the right weapons !

4. Save every bit you can to gear up
Old 03-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Fire Giant

only play a warrior if you intend to raid

or if you want to rp a warrior

Landazar [50 Magician]
Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

Gnome!!!! Then you get access to super amazing clockwork armor!!

30 dex and str buff?

40% haste buff?

Invisibility?

Sow?

Yea gnome!!!!

On top of all that, you get to be super cute. And not need shrink. And also you are a gnome.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

1. Race: best race is a toss up between Ogre (for naked stats and frontal stun immunity), Iksar (for regen and armor bonus), and Halfling. That's right. Halfling. Innate sneak is OP. They can also wear the dwarven cultural mentioned above. Every other race is bad for its own reasons.

2. Warrior aggro sucks while leveling. Particularly so if you're not twinked extremely well. There are a few weapons that proc at level 1: smoldering brand and venomous axe of velium brood. Obsidian daggers proc somewhere after 10. Look to dual wield skorpikus claw impalers by level 30. Grouping with a root casting class can help with aggro. Just remember to stand closer to the mob than all the rest of the melee after it's rooted.

3. DPS can be alright. A lot of warrior gear has decent str, and there are tons of cheap weapons with insane stats and ratios like wurmslayer, fist of zek, jarsath trident, and a few more that don't immediately come to mind.

4. Gear: agi over 75, AC/armor, HP (and stam up to 255), dex up to 144, and MR are most important for a warrior. Ogre, Dwarven, and Iksar cultural all have some decent pieces to help if you pick appropriate races. If you follow Rallos Zek as your diety, then you can also wear Human cultural no matter which race you picked (except Iksar). 65 HP rings and haste will help a lot, too. FBSS or sash of the dragonborn preferred. Leave SCHWs for monks and rogues. Orc fang earrings. I could go on.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Last edited by Samoht; 03-06-2016 at 09:26 AM..
Old 03-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Sarnak

Is a warrior your first character? If not then I suggest you use your highest level character to acquire gear / platinum to twink your warrior as much as possible. Warriors are terrible classes to play without support. Weapons are the first priority, followed closely by HP, then eventually AC.

Troll, Iksar are very good and ogre, halfling, dark elf are the next best choice. Everyone else is barely adequate.

Also, get Jboots and invis potions / item as soon as you can; you will die a lot less.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

I like how people complain about how other MMOs are too easy....

Then only play most classes on EQ if they are mega twinked :3 lol
Old 03-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

Warrior isn't so hard untwinked. I've done it a few times and gearing up is good fun (whether through crafting, questing, hunting, shopping or just picking up whatever crap comes your way).

Aggro isn't a problem; make a hotkey that identifies the mob you are trying to tank and asks for it to be rooted. If it lives long enough to require softies casting high aggro spells like slow, then it lives long enough to justify rooting.

In terms of equipment a good start is a weapon with ~10Dmg and as low delay as possible. It will be quite a few levels until procs come close to pure swing hate. Spend your first few levels killing decaying skeletons (I find North Ro inns outside Freeport to be a good spot) and sell some of your bone chips to fund this purchase (around 50pp should buy you something like a green jade broadsword, with 11/25 ratio).

In the early levels you get probably enough AC to get by from what you loot. As such save up for some crafted fire wedding rings. These give a massive boost to HP (and decent AC too). These will set you back a few 100pp. Bone chips, spiderling silks, orc belts and high quality bear pelts you will find on your adventures and sell well to other players to fund this.

Don't worry too much about the quality of your off hand weapon to begin with; duel wield initially produces very few swings and won't produce a double attack for a long time. Consider a Polished Granite Tomahawk to pad your tanking, or an Obsidian Blade for an unreliable aggro proc, if you want to duel wield. Otherwise consider taking up a two handed weapon.

Soon, unless you are hunting where you can find bronze or questing your 'crafted' armour you may want to pad out your AC. A set of banded armour will do this nicely for circa 100pp.

The next thing you will want is haste. This will put you back several thousand pp for entry level. The alternatives are to try get a rotting hangman's noose in Trakanon's Teeth (probably not worth it when not doing the hunter/forager cycles) or skipping haste till 46 when you can loot a rotting war only haste belt in sky (may take a couple of raids, but it isn't very rare).

On the subject of scrounging equipment, the Scimitar of Ykesha (8/22 ykesha proc found in Kithicor forest) is a nice option for the late 30s... if /who all kith shows high levels, there is a decent chance they are doing rogue epic mobs and might help you get one. The second option, also related to rogue epic (and secondary slot only) comes from Steamfont Mountains, Trochilic's Skean (11/25 stun dot proc).

Hopefully, following this loose guide you can ensure you will have fun levelling to 50, and have a reasonable set of equipment ready to get you started on the expansion levels.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Fire Giant

1. Race: Human looks the best. Gnomes have 40% haste click on arms.

2. Taunt sux.

3. A warrior in cripple mode with a good 2hs will out damage monks and even rogues on raids. Warriors hold aggro through dps.

4. Get a full set of the cheap hp gear you can find. HP > all.

Some other notes:
Warriors get stunning kicks at 55. This is an amazing ability because of the high cap in kick vs slam. Larger races get slam, but after 55 it should not be used anyways.
Archery is super important for initial aggro. Make sure to throw an arrow at every mob that is pulled.
Bind wound is your friend, level it.
Alcohol tolerance is awesome. Any time you lose aggro drink 5 brandies.
Carry a bag of 10 wooly spider silk nets. Root is awesome.
Put your initial points into stamina. STR, DEX are really easy to cap in velious with buffs.
Use a Jarsath Trident + Green Jade Broadsword till 40. Buy 2 yak clubs at 40. At 50 get two Blood Points and a Truncheon of Doom.
Use all of the utility weapons (snare, slow, dot)