Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Brand new EQ player

I've never played EQ but have always been interested in the experience. I don't have a main character yet going to hop around for a few days and see what feels right. any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Aviak

Welcome to EverQuest!

My first main here on P1999 was a Druid and it's a choice I'll never regret. They're fine healers for groups, good solo, and porting (when you get it later on) is fantastic both for your own personal use and for making money.

Other recommendations would be casters that are good solo, like Necromancer and Magician.

Tank classes (Warrior, Shadow Knight, Paladin) would be the most difficult for you because of how gear dependent their performance is. That said, my main back when I first started playing in 2000 was a Warrior and I managed fine even though good gear was substantially more expensive on live servers than it is here. The most important thing is to choose something that has a play style you think you'll enjoy and that makes for a character you like.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by met4life [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never played EQ but have always been interested in the experience. I don't have a main character yet going to hop around for a few days and see what feels right. any suggestions?
Kill decaying skeletons as much as possible they should drop armor to wear (not great but better than nothing) and things to sell. Keep the bone chips to sell to players later. You should be able to find vendors to get some bags to help hold more loot and it is worth picking up a few even though they are a bit spendy. Other than that save the money you get from selling things for spells (caster) or weapon/armor upgrades (melee).

As far as classes go I'd say stick with them till lvl 10 or so before making a decision on whether you like them or not. Many of the half classes don't get spells till then so you won't really have a feel for the class before that.

If you feel like playing the game as it would have felt back in 1999 take a look at the guild Auld lang syne. They play in such a way as to make the game a bit more true to what you would get if you had started when the game came out.
Closed Thread