Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Fire Giant

Cool

i probably check it out if it ever come out. problem though is that while they spent the last 7 years building a new emu from ground up, p99 has been refining database/mechanics/timeline which eqclassic still go ja hafta do when they finally finish the emu. will be neat though if they finish :3
Old 07-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also if I'm not mistaken the core it uses was built from the ground up, so it's not running eqemu.
From the "leaked"(?) server code (from 2012ish?) I saw, it was based on ancient EQEmu code from back in the pre-Titanium days. Back when the EQEmu code was 100% terrible. Lots of similarities to the old-EQEmu-based code for a server I worked on for a while that supported a LoY-era client.

Though it's possible someone came to their senses and started from scratch with a much better design sometime after that leak. Lots of work in any case.

edit: post from a couple years ago where I played around with the leak a bit.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 AM
Aviak

this isnt coming out for a loonngggg time if at all, so it's mere conjecture at this point.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Saw this from another thread, very cool. Wish I could use it on P99 haha! I would totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this isnt coming out for a loonngggg time if at all, so it's mere conjecture at this point.
Probably not terribly soon, but depends on if you believe their roadmap or not. Seems to be almost entirely completed, essentially ready for Beta testing, which in all reality is what P99 is, one long beta test.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

I remember checking them out in 2008 or 2009. Been a long time. Project 1999 clearly was well ahead and cut a few forgiveable corners. I think most of us just wanted something close to the original and that's what we got. Far, FAR from what live later offered even on its progression servers. It was pure gold.

Project 1999 is getting old. More and more of us are looking ahead, like Pantheon or whatever else.

EDIT: I only have the original EQ disc and Velious, no trilogy. The features of trilogy are below.
Quote:
Features of the Trilogy client absent from recent client software:

Message Boards
MIDI Music
Ambient Music
Spell Bolts
Droppable Coin
Fully Operational Boats
Human Night Blindness
Forced Spellbook Meditation
Original / Velious UIs
Stamina Bar and Combat Fatigue
Pre-Endurance Discipline System
Soul Bound Keys
Original Tradeskill System
Single Chat Window Communication

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 08-02-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Planar Protector

My forum name on eqclassic is hawkayalives. Looking at my posts, I found some things others posted. These're some of the things I read happened during classic:
1) raids would camp to the chat rooms and discuss strategy before logging back in
2) Corpses only had 24 hours to loot and could be looted by anyone after 10 minutes

True? I can't remember. I started on Rallos Zek I think March 21-24. I remember, strangely, spawning in Qeynos Hills near the Surefall Glade entrance. I do remember getting looted, but I think that was normal on PvP servers.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Old 08-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Planar Protector

It's vaporware...I wish it wasn't.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:00 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The features of trilogy are below.
Quote:
Features of the Trilogy client absent from recent client software:

Message Boards
MIDI Music
Ambient Music
Spell Bolts
Droppable Coin
Fully Operational Boats
Human Night Blindness
Forced Spellbook Meditation
Original / Velious UIs
Stamina Bar and Combat Fatigue
Pre-Endurance Discipline System
Soul Bound Keys
Original Tradeskill System
Single Chat Window Communication
There are lots of subtle differences, especially visually. The client's rendering system was given a major overhaul sometime prior to Titanium, which has an effect on the look and feel of zones as you move through them. And caused some bugs they were too lazy to fix here and there (rogue epic poison particle not appearing unless the camera is super-close-up; iksar 2hs and archery anims being buggy; semi-transparent stuff in some classic zones not rendering correctly, like the big green sphere in cazicthule; wolf animation speeds being super slow; other stuff I'm forgetting). And then there's things like the pixelated bitmap font used for NPC and player names, fully classic spell particles (there's some aspects Telin's stuff can't emulate), the selfie-cam on the inventory window and, uh, having no way to see your numerical max mana. Not something I'd want to play, personally, but there's nostalgia to be had there.

Around a year and a half ago I took a stab at taking some of the Trilogy client know-how embedded in the old (and fairly awful) "leaked" EQC source (and in the source for an old server I used to volunteer for that used a somewhat-more-classic-than-Titanium LDoN-era client) and making my own open source Trilogy server program from scratch. Got it to a point where you could log in, create a character, enter a zone and see an NPC spawn (and then do nothing). But my code design was horrible and there was already another open-source Trilogy server project around, so I lost interest after a few weeks.

I'm a bit wiser now, and apparently there is no notable open source Trilogy project any more (?), and posting in this thread inspired me to take another crack at it. Currently redoing char select, expecting to get that done and start redoing the zone-in process probably this weekend. I have no interest in painstakingly re-creating stale game content or hosting my own server, and who knows how long I'll keep at this, but if nothing else I'll probably be able to at least release a little standalone server program you could painlessly set up on your own PC and use to run around empty zones with the Trilogy client for cheap nostalgia points, within maybe a month.

Code repo is here for the 0.5 people who might be interested. Warning: written in C, big departures from the architecture in EQEmu.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-04-2017, 02:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by impact [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea it is essentially pure classic, unlike Project 1999, which still has many more modern day, post trilogy features. I do believe many of these things are client based, but I imagine if they are using an older client, that likely means older server version as well.

I was one of the people that started on this server not long after it began, in the vanilla era, before Kunark was released. That was 7 years ago. They have slowly been making any change possible to make it as close to classic as they can, but it took them a long time. I think maps were still enabled initially on this server. The difference is EQC insist on attaining pure classic before release, whereas P99 just did a release and modified it to as close to classic as they could as the years went by.
This is laughably false. P99 is very far away from what eq was in velious - they have also made some very unclassic/made up mechanics here (fte shout, monk sneak, etc) and seem to be moving away from classic and more just what they want to see.
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My forum name on eqclassic is hawkayalives. Looking at my posts, I found some things others posted. These're some of the things I read happened during classic:
2) Corpses only had 24 hours to loot and could be looted by anyone after 10 minutes

True? I can't remember. I started on Rallos Zek I think March 21-24. I remember, strangely, spawning in Qeynos Hills near the Surefall Glade entrance. I do remember getting looted, but I think that was normal on PvP servers.
I believe this was only a thing on the PVP servers. However, if you gave /consent to someone to drag your corpse, it gave permission for someone to drag *and* loot your corpse. Was a unique way to trade no drop items for a short while.
Closed Thread