Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Aviak

Sweet, thanks for the information guys. So much more to it that I would have imagined. Might go try a pally and see how I go.

Now to narrow down the race, probably dwarf as I like a good diving roll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-17-2017, 01:35 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I dont know anything about EQEMU/P99. I played a lot on original EQ as a Eru SK. SKs can make GREAT tanks on raids, I often was on lineup before many of our warriors for two reasons: 1. superior aggro holding abilities, 2. superior AC. If as a SK you focus your gear selection based on "AC is King" then you lower the DI (damage interval) of mobs and, therefore, the less chance for a damage spike that would insta-kill a tank between C-Heals. Shroud of Death + Leechcurse also added lifetap proccing that further migitaged damage (although this was not a super significant impact, just more insurance). Our snap aggro would allow me to FD while tanking the raid mob if I did happen to catch a high spike and then stand up an instant later and taunt + snap aggro to get the boss back on me, usually with another toon only taking a couple hits at best while the heal chain caught up on me.

Alternatively, as a SK on raids a support role of grabbing adds with snap aggro and then kiting them around while the rest of the raid focused on the boss on multi-mob encounters.

I'm not trying to propose that SKs were/are superior to warriors in raids, just that they held their own and if the raid went in with adjusted tactics it could be as effective.

All of that said, Avatar of War was a different beast all together and no way in hell I think anything other than a pure warrior had a chance to stand up to his DB and flurry combo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Planar Protector

I like the subtle interplay of erudite shadowknight.

Also, that extra 5mr make it the obvious min max choice (!)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pallys should all be dwarf and SK should all be DE. This way you achieve maximum fashion quest (which is all that honestly matters)
Literally never had a human character. Might be a nice change
Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like the subtle interplay of erudite shadowknight.

Also, that extra 5mr make it the obvious min max choice (!)
don't forget, dorf get 5MR bonus too!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good question. I see what is going on around me by the GINA bars counting down CH timers and below the melee window to the left of my HP. If my combat window says I cannot see my target I know much faster if I need to reposition. Also, if there is a gap in the heal chain and it looks like another round is inc I can self heal with wort potions or soulfire. This is how the good tanks stay alive. Turning off attack at these critical moments can also save a repost.
Nothing exceptional about using consumables to heal imo.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuvy The Destroyer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing exceptional about using consumables to heal imo.
Isnt that what they're for?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Kobold

Yes.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
off the rods! @00:50
Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Fire Giant

According to what I read on forums, there is a softcap for tanks/meele at 289 for AC and above that, warriors get 45%, knights 33% and rangers like 17%?

Is that softcap 289 of what is shown in total ac then? Because it is pretty hard (atleast for me) to get 289 worn AC if you add together the AC that is written on the actual item when you rightklick it? And why do you get more AC than it is written on the item, even if you wear one? Is that class based?
Closed Thread