Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagatob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are greedy. That's all there is to it.

See? This guy gets it!
It makes no sense mechanically or lore-wise to have a mob respawn every 6 hours or 5 days. It's more "realistic" to have adventurers stumble upon a mob when he is already there.

Heck, I'd even be in favor of anti-camping radius, or make mobs spawn when nobody is tracking them.

In my personal opinion, all of us are here because we want to recapture the feeling EverQuest gave us when we first started. However, now we are reduced to sitting in small areas in cramped dungeons watching a timer.
Last edited by rahmani; 03-05-2013 at 01:58 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be fair, Rogean didn't say it was intentional, he said it was written to show an example and subsequently left in as a mistake. This thread was an announcement that there were indeed variances change in place.
You are absolutely right nilbog. I guess i wrote my previous statement with a sentiment that the gm's thought it would decrease poopsocking after i read sirken's post. It makes me happy that you guys are actively trying to make this server better and i appreciate that. Please continue to do so, ill be here no matter what likely.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep rolling your eyes, you know it's true.

You're one of the worst perpetrators of the 'Everquest isn't a game/fun it's life/work' mentality, you prove it time and time again whenever you talk about grouping with other players.
You're exactly the type that I watch out for hoping NOT to encounter in game. The kind who if you're playing a cleric won't HP buff the casters in the group because you have this 'if they were playing their class right they wouldn't ever get aggro' mentality, or if you were an enchanter you wouldn't buff the manapools of anyone in your group because getting to full mana is some kind of horrendous sin and downtime never happens.

Guess what, that's greed. There's no getting around it and trying to deny it only makes your case that much worse.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Totally off topic, but what's greedier? Me wanting to use my own time in the way I choose, or someone else wanting me to use my time in the way he would prefer?
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 03-05-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Banned

See you don't even deny it, not one bit, you just try to spin the blame on others for 'not being elite as you are' (Translated from 'wasting your time').

Your case is so much better now because of that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

I really don't even know how you got on this "Tecmos is greedy" kick based on my comment that this thread exists because Rogean said "this is an accident and here is the change that happened" instead of "this is an accident and it will be undone as soon as possible."
Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Skeleton

Back in my day, Xev was relatively decent at the top/mid guilds coordinating amongst each other to reserve raid spawns in advance (on the "server" forums), so they'd all stand a better chance of rallying their guilds for a reason. It was Nash's equilibrium kind of thing, where the best possible outcome was if everyone worked toward their own goals as well as the goals of others. There'd be outliers that screwed it up, of course, but they'd be snowballed by every other guild that participated until they got with the program. That scheme only works if the spawns are relatively predictable. In my mind, less predictability is more role play, more predictability is more practical.

For Rogean's sake, I think the fire wouldn't have started if he'd been clear that this was not just a mistake, but a temporary one right at the start. ;-) Case in point, it still hasn't been said explicitly that this change is temporary.

Last point is it seems there's a lot of people who assume the server design is a democratic process (community rules). I've seen no such statement, however, and would hope that isn't the case. While nilbog and Rogean are obviously trying to make it the best possible play experience, design by committee produces crap. I'd rather they do what they feel is best. (BTW, keep up the awesome huge work you put into it, guys! I'm impressed, even when I find a few minor "not quite right" things in my adventures.)

My 2c.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pend [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my mind, less predictability is more role play, more predictability is more practical.

Question is - "Do we want to play like EQ is our job?"
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Question is - "Do we want to play like EQ is our job?"
I can't quite tell which of the two ends of the predictability spectrum that question advocates for. ;-) For the record, I was advocating for more predictability because my feeling is that getting more "role play" here with less predictable spawns leads to more "work/job" feel in actually finding them available.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enygma & crazyeye and any I may have missed: VELIOUS FIXES NOTHING. Velious just moves the 'socking from a green, forested continent to an icy tundra. The interactions between the players and/or the Server code is how you alter the raiding meta-game on this server.
Your fail to understand. Velious mobs doesn't consist of 32k hp and die in 20 secs like in kunark, noway will there be poopsocking for 16+ hours like there is now. Even if it did, velious opens up 30+ new raid encounters that noway one, nor two top end raiding guilds can monopolize all of the content at once ( Kael, Skyshrine, WW, ToV, PoM, PoG ) not to mention to current kunark raid mobs. So TMO is poopsocking the last 4 hours of vindi, let them waste their time and go kill one maybe 2 of the other 30+ mobs.

EDIT:
DAM this guy nailed it before me ><

Quote:
Originally Posted by uygi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except that Velious increases the available raid content by a factor of maybe 30-40 when you consider the dramatic increase in targets coupled with much, much faster respawns than we currently have. Add to that that they're a lot harder to kill and can't be zerged down the way 32k targets can, and I think Velious will fix a lot. Any guild, or any 2 guilds, that think they can hold down all the raid targets will probably burn out very quickly. Do you really think 1-2 guilds can manage to hold down Vindi, HoT, Dain/Tormax/Yelinak/NToV/ST/Zland/Kland/HarlaDar/Tunare and whatever else? Maybe 2nd/3rd tier guilds won't get to kill their preferred mob every night, but they'll be able to get a lot more than our current cockblock raid scene allows.