Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Put an end to account buying and selling?
Yes 273 70.18%
No 116 29.82%
Voters: 389. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Fire Giant

Account trading really ruins a lot of the "specialness" of EQ for me. The integrity of this project is tarnished by it.

In classic EQ, character reputation meant something. You knew who you were dealing with, and generally what sort of person they were. It's the community aspect of the game that really suffers with account sales and rampant PLs. I hope to be known in game as "Faerie," as opposed to "a druid."
Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will keep playing the game and not give a shit?
This man gets it!

Just because p99 isn't perfectly tailored to your individual idea of an MMO paradise doesn't mean it should be. So the most dedicated and most hardcore group of players on the server is the most "successful." What the hell else would/should you expect? This isn't some hipster preschool where everyone gets a gold star just for coming to school with their shoes on the correct feet.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So because you are bad at picking friends, no one should be able to buy/sell accounts? If you are truly concerned that some character could be your arch nemesis hidden behind a newly-purchased account... why should EVERYONE ELSE make a change instead of just you?
My view doesn't have anything to do with my friends/enemies. On Live, if you were a cheating hack and got banned, you had to buy another account key and set up a new Station ID. There was a real-world penalty to running ShowEQ or exploting bugs, etc.

For EQEmu servers, I feel that the ability to obtain a fresh account (possibly with ill-gotten plat) to continue being a fuckup on a high level character should be stopped.
Essentially, the penalty for cheating is the loss of time it took to level that character (that cannot be reclaimed by buying a new character). If no one can escape a bad reputation by buying one, then it stands to reason that most high level characters are fair players (note: not necessarily "nice people," but fair players).
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie Blossom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Account trading really ruins a lot of the "specialness" of EQ for me. The integrity of this project is tarnished by it.

In classic EQ, character reputation meant something. You knew who you were dealing with, and generally what sort of person they were. It's the community aspect of the game that really suffers with account sales and rampant PLs. I hope to be known in game as "Faerie," as opposed to "a druid."
You guys are terrible at arguing. Omfg.

Dude, if you want to have a good rep, then do things that give you a good rep + don't sell your account. You can do both of those things without imposing rules on the entire server when apparently 50% of the server don't like those rules. Wtf?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Planar Protector

I mean there were reasons this wasn't allowed on live. Not to mention there's the issue of people selling their accounts for plat then RMTing it, people getting caught cheating and selling the flagged accounts, etc.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My view doesn't have anything to do with my friends/enemies. On Live, if you were a cheating hack and got banned, you had to buy another account key and set up a new Station ID. There was a real-world penalty to running ShowEQ or exploting bugs, etc.

For EQEmu servers, I feel that the ability to obtain a fresh account (possibly with ill-gotten plat) to continue being a fuckup on a high level character should be stopped.
Essentially, the penalty for cheating is the loss of time it took to level that character (that cannot be reclaimed by buying a new character). If no one can escape a bad reputation by buying one, then it stands to reason that most high level characters are fair players (note: not necessarily "nice people," but fair players).
Ok, finally a decent argument in favor of this. Banning account sales will probably make it less likely that we see cheaters succeed in the game because it will be harder for them to get back into the swing of things when their 60 gets banned. That makes sense.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean there were reasons this wasn't allowed on live. Not to mention there's the issue of people selling their accounts for plat then RMTing it, people getting caught cheating and selling the flagged accounts, etc.
Wasn't allowed on live because it would have made less money if people didn't have to buy a new box every time they wanted a new account.

RMT is an issue but it is only connected to account sales like it is connected to farming seafuries. You aren't going to disallow farming seafuries just because some people who spend their days in OOT can RMT that PP, are you?

Selling flagged accounts is a caveat emptor thing, no need for the staff to go out of their way to help protect dumb buyers.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Planar Protector

So the entire server is going to suffer because TMO stepped on someones epeen?

This is no different than needing to farm potions, or resist gear or whatever is needed to complete content.

TMO has just raised the bar. If they are getting their plat legit, then any other raid force can do that just as easily and do the same thing. Fight fire with fire, dont ruin what many people enjoy. Which is being able to try out different classes at different levels without the massive time sink of lvling them.

Personally I have time to whore in the tunnel here and there...but not time to group and lvl in content. I can't commit to a 4 hour group to actually gain some xp.

So being a person with more money than time I want to be able to buy an account if I want.

And while I am obviously biased on this as I have made a lot of money from brokering account sales I am not the only person who enjoys being able to do this.

My first post was not meant to be a joke. Account sales themselves are not an issue. Its the few people who abuse them that give it all a bad rap. And as someone mentioned, banning account sales is not going to stop account sales in the least. In fact it will just encourage RMT.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are terrible at arguing. Omfg.
You're not listening to anything said, and instead just repeat yourself. I wouldn't even call this an argument.

Regardless, Nilbog has come out and said that account sales will become against the rules at some point in the future. I'm happily awaiting that day [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Orc

Just wondering, the people arguing that account trading and selling should be banned. Do you also think that the war on drugs is a success also?
Closed Thread