Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Kobold

Default Vanguard

Any former Vanguard folks out there? I'd list a server ...but, well, if you played Vanguard you know how silly that would be.

Tralyan here. Warrior. Sad to see it go away. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yup
-Ket
Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Funny how things get shut down, but SOE in the same breath won't let anyone bring a Vanguard emu up.

I never played it, took a judgement call from the forums shortly after SOE took it over and there wasn't a positive comment to be found :/
Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM
Kobold

i got one of those sk type guys (dread knight?) to like level 20 and it got boring.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM
Kobold

Man, it's like any other niche MMO out there. You got the die hard fans that will sit and squash the faces of anyone cheeky enough to insult their game, and those who played it for a bit, couldn't look past the plethora of bugs (understandably), and believe it to be the biggest mistake since cats on the moon. So I'm assuming your foray into the forums was full of the die hards lamenting the bugs.

I'm a face squasher. Incredible amount of potential, wasn't given the love it deserved, so it wasted away. But yeah, something about the engine it's on prevents them from letting us run an emu. Or something. I dunno. Hard to read the forums through the tears.

Wah.

Yup
-Ket
Old 07-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Funny how things get shut down, but SOE in the same breath won't let anyone bring a Vanguard emu up.

I never played it, took a judgement call from the forums shortly after SOE took it over and there wasn't a positive comment to be found :/
i'm not sure they said they wouldn't "allow" it. They said they wouldn't share any code...which is the exact same thing they say for EQ.

if players did it entirely on their own I would think SOE would respond the same way it does to EQ emus.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

I played it for a bit. It had potential but lacked the resources to see it through. I heard later on it was a decent game but by then the population had dried up.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played it for a bit. It had potential but lacked the resources to see it through. I heard later on it was a decent game but by then the population had dried up.
Right. That seems to be the consensus. I'm convinced that if it had the population required for even a semi-healthy MMO, we would have seen a dynamic not before seen since the olden days of EQ. That, of course, would have only been possible if it was given the resources it needed to succeed after it's horrible launch.

Damn shame.

-Ket
Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ket [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a face squasher. Incredible amount of potential, wasn't given the love it deserved, so it wasted away. But yeah, something about the engine it's on prevents them from letting us run an emu. Or something. I dunno.
I know very little about Vanguard but I do know some dudes are certainly trying to make an emu

http://vgoemulator.net/ sourced from here
<Asgard>
Old 07-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

Played for most of the 7 years it was around. Had a mountain of potential, but SOE ended using it as a developer probation tool. Never had the same team for more than 6 months at a time. It actually started out pretty much on par with vanilla WoW as far as difficulty leveling. Of course SOE tried appealing to the masses that weren't ever going to be there in the first place, and by the last 2 years of the game you could get max level in under a week if you really tried. Had the best crafting in any game by far. Had Diplomacy, which was basically a card game against NPC's, which was one of the most innovative game designs I think I have ever seen myself. All and all, it could have been a great game, but SOE did what they do. Now its gone. Oh well.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Fire Giant

I made my close friends buy advanced copies of vanguard. Years later, they still won't return my calls
Closed Thread