Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Fire Giant

Question Shamans & Alchemy Costs Question

Started working on my Alchemy this morning, trained skills till mid 20's until it stopped training me and went to http://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Alchemy and started following the trivial caps. Currently 41 skill and have blown through 1,000 plat. This "cant" be correct, so I figure I am not doing the guide properly or something, because it can't be THIS costly at this low skill level.

Before I proceed any further, can someone enlighten me on the cheaper progression levels in Alchemy?
Old 04-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly how much I spent on alchemy up to 41, but that does sound a little high. You did spend 21 training points first I hope?

If you're worrying about spending money though then perhaps you shouldn't be pursuing alchemy. IMHO alchemy is really for Shaman who:
  • want the convenience of being able to make potions for themselves and their friends, and are willing to pay for that privilege
  • are planning to spend huge amounts of time in EC selling other items, so they might as well make a few plat selling potions on the side
If you don't fall in to one of those two categories then I'd recommend against spending any more time/money on alchemy. It only gets more expensive the higher you go.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Fire Giant

Yea I did the initial trainer skillups until it wouldn't let me skill up anymore. Spending money is not the problem, I have money, but spending money where I don't need to spend it is slightly silly.

I play Red99 so not sitting in EC tunnel all day lol. I am making pots because I'm a Shaman and it's what Shamans do for trade skills. I would hope to make money and profit by selling potions but first I don't need to spend every cent I have trying to make them.

So, back to my original post, does anyone actually want to "answer" my question instead of trying to tell me the finer points behind potion making 101? I asked a legit serious question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSQue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Started working on my Alchemy this morning, trained skills till mid 20's until it stopped training me and went to http://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Alchemy and started following the trivial caps. Currently 41 skill and have blown through 1,000 plat. This "cant" be correct, so I figure I am not doing the guide properly or something, because it can't be THIS costly at this low skill level.

Before I proceed any further, can someone enlighten me on the cheaper progression levels in Alchemy?
loramin, you started out on the right track, but then you tore out in a maybe this isn't for you speech. Feel free to get back on track. You sound like you might know what you are talking about. I just do see the need for an education over a simple (whats the cheapest route to take) question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately I don't remember exactly how much I spent on alchemy up to 41, but that does sound a little high. You did spend 21 training points first I hope?
Last edited by MaSQue; 04-04-2015 at 04:14 PM..
Old 04-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Sarnak

Hostile much?

The wiki has a good route to take. It doesn't get much cheaper.
Twerp - Ogre Shaman
Numpty - Halfling Warrior
Tosser - Gnome Enchanter
Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaetatus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hostile much?

The wiki has a good route to take. It doesn't get much cheaper.
actually no, just didn't need someone trying to educate me and dodge the question. (oh it gets more expensive as you level up) oh really? I woulda never thunk that lol. He replied with stuff that I never even asked in my OP so yea he got a smart ass reply back.

As for you? thank you for staying on topic with the question.
As for the wiki, yea trying to follow it, best I can, but god this seems so much more expensive than JCing at this same level. Maybe it's just Alchemy is more expensive starting out than other crafts?
Old 04-05-2015, 01:13 AM
Sarnak

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSQue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
actually no, just didn't need someone trying to educate me and dodge the question. (oh it gets more expensive as you level up) oh really? I woulda never thunk that lol. He replied with stuff that I never even asked in my OP so yea he got a smart ass reply back.

As for you? thank you for staying on topic with the question.
As for the wiki, yea trying to follow it, best I can, but god this seems so much more expensive than JCing at this same level. Maybe it's just Alchemy is more expensive starting out than other crafts?
Unfortunately it is correct. 1kpp to 40skill sounds right to me. Getting up to 70+ will cost another 2k+. Good news is you only need 70 skill to make 90% of the potions you make on a regular basis(SoW,Shrink, and IVU). Unless you are on red the resist pots are near useless, and regen/ds pots are only good for Powerleveling. Only Gate pots are worth it to skill up further.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately it is correct. 1kpp to 40skill sounds right to me. Getting up to 70+ will cost another 2k+. Good news is you only need 70 skill to make 90% of the potions you make on a regular basis(SoW,Shrink, and IVU). Unless you are on red the resist pots are near useless, and regen/ds pots are only good for Powerleveling. Only Gate pots are worth it to skill up further.
thank you

..... and WOW this I had no clue of, whew gonna be expensive then lol and yes I am on Red99. Thanks for that helpful reply, now I know where I stand with this and yes I plan to take it to the end on skills but this starting out skills just seemed a tad high on cost and I needed to make sure I was not doing something wrong or following the guide the wrong way.

kk thanks much, time for me to get to work on Alchemy hehe

PS: The evil solo guide link isn't working forr me, just letting you know it might be down or something or a broken link.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:33 AM
Sarnak

Talking

Quote:
thank you

..... and WOW this I had no clue of, whew gonna be expensive then lol and yes I am on Red99. Thanks for that helpful reply, now I know where I stand with this and yes I plan to take it to the end on skills but this starting out skills just seemed a tad high on cost and I needed to make sure I was not doing something wrong or following the guide the wrong way.

kk thanks much, time for me to get to work on Alchemy hehe

PS: The evil solo guide link isn't working forr me, just letting you know it might be down or something or a broken link.
Thanks for reply. Server used to be on .Org but they started transitioning website a year or so ago to .com. I guess they finally updated the forums to be on the .com as well as .org is no longer forwarding! Updating my link as you speak thank you![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Try it now!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try it now!
Success [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Sarnak

How many SoW pots did you successfully make from that 1000pp? I remember very quickly making up the lost plat. On red the profit margins for 10 dose sow pots are about twice that on blue, and there seems to be an even larger market for them.