Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-11-2020, 06:16 PM
Large Bat

Well cable installed. I had to change the script because the single core option made the application unusable. Now trying to get Duxa UI working. That's another issue for another thread. The MTU size shouldn't be an issue. I don't have anything setup for super frames or other stuff you would normally see in a datacenter with switched fabric networks. It's just that I can pickup 20 different networks, which means a distinct possibility that can drop quite a few udp data packets. That being said, its hard for me to imagine that server listing would use UDP instead of TCP at least until handoff once you log into the server. Course what I say and 50 cents might buy you a cup of coffee.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:45 AM
Planar Protector

It's actually all UDP from what tcpdump tells me.

Back in 1997-1998 when the game was designed it might have seemed like a reasonable option I suppose.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's actually all UDP from what tcpdump tells me.

Back in 1997-1998 when the game was designed it might have seemed like a reasonable option I suppose.
They wanted to make the game playable for a wider audience, and not just those with "high speed" modems and also reduce their own bandwidth costs. They created "reliable UDP":

https://www.pcgamer.com/breaking-the...ed-everything/

-Mcoy
Old 06-12-2020, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

I swear I had this problem too, and I believe I tethered to my phone to get it to work.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm curious the issue you're encountering when attempting to compile this tool. For me, 'git clone' and 'make' just works on Ubuntu 18.04.
Same for me on MX Linux (while this subject is solved already I thought to mention it, for any new Linux users)
Last edited by pivo; 06-17-2020 at 07:46 AM..
Old 06-17-2020, 09:42 AM
Large Bat

Default Forgot to mention

For those that wondered about compilation errors. I did install the library needed as per the earlier post and it compiled and ran. The result is that I saw no servers meaning that either a) Whatever file needed to adjust hasn't been adjusted or b) There's something else I didn't think about. Since I ran the cable and it works. My problem is solved.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:15 PM
Large Rat

I ran into the same issue with no servers listed on Linux. While I was at work I was going to tinker around with EQ to see if I could fix the issue. When I logged in, all of the servers were listed. Turns out when I have my VPN client on I can see the severs and log in. With it off, whether I'm at home or work on wifi, I can't see the severs.

I don't know if this fact helps or makes it more confusing for you 8 )