Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Orc

Default Advice Wanted: Rusty 54 Necro

Hey all. Hoping for some advice from the EQ experts out here on where I should try to grind out the last of my levels. I'd like to focus on something other than XP gained per session, since watching bubbles sloooowly expand is starting to make me nuts. I'm just returning from a few years away from EQ, so I've avoided grouping so far. Really don't want to ruin a zone's day because I sat at low HP or something.

A spot where I can regain some plat would be ideal. Gaining faction would also be a nice perk, as I currently need to be a skeleton to do any banking in Neriak.

I have read a lot of the guides on the P1999 Wiki, but none of them seem to refer to any Velious zones as potential spots to level. Are the mob HPs too high for effective leveling?

Based on guides, I tried Charasis. It was awesome for soloing, but extremely difficult, and I rarely gained more XP than I ended up losing. I am hoping to find something that's easier to maintain than the basement. A single resist usually meant I had to flee.

Kedge Keep was really cool because it was dead empty, but water pathing is a nightmare, and resulted in a lot of wasted time gating out and starting over. So I wasn't super keen on making that my temporary home.

So I guess my main question is: What are the lesser-known, or perhaps just less popular, leveling spots for necros? Would love to get some advice on some good camps to get back into the swing of the game. I don't have anything crazy in terms of items, but I do have the invis clickable for Necros, which makes some camps more manageable. I'm up for charm-soloing and the like, but would prefer something with a little more forgiveness than HS.

Thanks in advance,
-Hork

P.S. This project and server are just mind-blowingly cool. Big thanks to the people that built and maintain this
Old 05-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Planar Protector

The Neriak wine quest should fix your banking woes? If not just stand outside and pan the camera around while in bankable range.

The upper floors of CoM arent bad at 54, maybe a bit scary at first. Also The Hole is usually quiet if you fancy a trip in there, just be careful not to die in an awkward spot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Other thoughts:-

SolB
Lower Guk (not sure how many more levels you can do in there)
KC if you want to group and know how to do grouping as a necro (most are happy if you charm a pet for dps)

Also get your Howling Stones key if you havent already, that's necro paradise.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 PM
Planar Protector

HS is about as good as it gets for a necro soloing from 50-60. There's other spots where you can take advantage of charm undead too (KC, especially basement is the biggest one) though. Of course you can root rot or fear kite just about anywhere, but the XP and loot generally won't be as good as if you tuck into a dungeon somewhere and make the enemies do the work for you.

It sounds like you might just need to polish up your game in HS basement. It can be hairy down there until you figure it out, but when you do figure it out you shouldn't have any trouble getting on a role at 54. Without more info on how you were fighting down there, I'd say make sure you keep harmshield and feign death ready at all times, be mindful of pathers and respawn timers, and make the most of the room you have available down there while charming undeads and letting stuff beat each other close to death before you finish them off for full xp.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Planar Protector

FYI all. Charasis is howling stones.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HS is about as good as it gets for a necro soloing from 50-60. There's other spots where you can take advantage of charm undead too (KC, especially basement is the biggest one) though. Of course you can root rot or fear kite just about anywhere, but the XP and loot generally won't be as good as if you tuck into a dungeon somewhere and make the enemies do the work for you.

It sounds like you might just need to polish up your game in HS basement. It can be hairy down there until you figure it out, but when you do figure it out you shouldn't have any trouble getting on a role at 54. Without more info on how you were fighting down there, I'd say make sure you keep harmshield and feign death ready at all times, be mindful of pathers and respawn timers, and make the most of the room you have available down there while charming undeads and letting stuff beat each other close to death before you finish them off for full xp.
All sources seem to point to HS. Thanks for the tips.

I was trying to charm the undead mobs in basement and use roots and some dots to control the pace. The two steady pathers through the basement did not seem to follow a repeatable pattern. They would wander around the pyramid and stop at various points, sometimes overlapping one another. I sat and watched for maybe 5-10 minutes, and tried to suss out when I'd have the most time to pick a fight. The instant I tried to engage I was resisted and swarmed, so I used FD. But when I stood back up, all the mobs would rush me again, so had to gate out.

It seems like I need to plan on starting with the pathers as my first kills, and need to be able to pick up after an FD, since they appear to remember their aggro. I definitely was able to hold the basement a few years ago when I had been leveling the character steadily, but I can barely remember what all the spells do now. And it's EQ, so you gotta nuke yourself or open the wiki to find out what something does.

I'll dust the sand out of my cooter and give it a few more tries. Thanks all.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Planar Protector

https://youtu.be/XpjhDVLiQYg

This is a fantastic guide on how to manage the basement in HS.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Kobold

You may want to consider raptors in TD. Only problem is you cannot bind in the zone, the raptors have a huge aggro radius, theres no loot, and it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere. But, I find it often uncamped and has been decent solo xp even with my 57 mage.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:11 PM
Orc

Thanks for posting the video guide. I had read the wiki version, but seeing it helps so much.

Aaaand somehow, not sure how, I have never, ever used the spell Screaming Terror. That seems pretty handy. Can't figure out how I managed to overlook that, I guess I just assumed it was a regular fear spell.

Today I Learned.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:26 AM
Planar Protector

CoM upper floors are pretty good at your level. the 54 charm works wonders up there. you want a dual wielding greater warboned. you get an occiassional gem. if you want lot and faction you could kill in droga neart the chief camp. stuff there is high green so you should be able to mow it down plus work on your chardok faction.

when you FD, if you have a wanderer aggro you should /q out, if in a safe spot, and come back instead of gating out.

cheers and welcome back

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 05-24-2017, 02:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteJackson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for posting the video guide. I had read the wiki version, but seeing it helps so much.

Aaaand somehow, not sure how, I have never, ever used the spell Screaming Terror. That seems pretty handy. Can't figure out how I managed to overlook that, I guess I just assumed it was a regular fear spell.

Today I Learned.
It's huge! If you ever want to split 2 mobs, ST Mob A to pull Mob B.... when he's out of aggro range of Mob A, set the pet on him. Then crucially, don't stand up til Screaming Terror wears off Mob A [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread