Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

wut is a dry socket
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Fire Giant

Dry socket is when the area where your teeth used to be dries out and you get all sorts of pain and complications because of it. That's why you don't drink with straws or do similar things after you have dentist work done.

I had my wisdom teeth taken out a while back, they put me completely under with anesthesia. It was super quick recovery, only took about a week or so to get back to full strength. Just make sure to eat lots of cabbage soup, shit's delicious.

Millburn Pennybags - Blue
Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

don't you judge me!

IT WAS A CRAZY STRAW it went loop de loop de loop!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannacore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So nobody was totally put under?? fffuuuu----
I was completely out. I had no problems with that.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millburn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dry socket is when the area where your teeth used to be dries out and you get all sorts of pain and complications because of it. That's why you don't drink with straws or do similar things after you have dentist work done.

I had my wisdom teeth taken out a while back, they put me completely under with anesthesia. It was super quick recovery, only took about a week or so to get back to full strength. Just make sure to eat lots of cabbage soup, shit's delicious.
I'm off of work until Monday (procedure is Wednesday), so hopefully that's enough time!

I'm making a big ol' pot of chicken + rice soup for the recovery time. Plus I am using it as an excuse to eat as many mashed potatoes as I want. Don't judge me.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Banned

I had it done when I was in high school. They gave me a single dose of valium to take the morning of the surgery, I guess to keep me calm and relaxed. It helped, as I don't really remember feeling nervous about it at all. My doctor looked and sounded like squidward.

They put an IV in my hand and several moments later they told me to count back from 10. I probably didn't make it past 8 before it felt like I was melting into my chair, and falling backwards away from my own field of vision. Then I woke up, without having perceived the passage of any time. I felt extremely intoxicated and the first thing I did was put a dopey grin on my face and flirt with the nurse who was in the room with me. I said something like "Heey.... how u doin? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]" but it probably just came out mostly as moans and gibberish.

They helped me stumble into some kind of chill-out room with a bed in it, where I collected myself for 5-10 minutes, then my parents came and took me home. They gave me some gauze to put on it to soak up any bleeding. The rest of the day there was some pretty moderate soreness, but nothing after that. They gave me a small bottle of vicodin which I didn't take. I ended up trying to use it recreationally a few months later but I didn't feel anything.

Overall I found it to be an enjoyable experience. Getting put under was interesting. Pain was minimal. Would do again
Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tons of people get them pulled every day and I've never heard of anyone dieing. So don't freak out.
I'm not meaning to be a fear-monger here, but this statement is uneducated and under researched.

I'm unable to comment on Shanna's particular instance, but the wisdom teeth removal industry is a fraud perpetuated by A) dentists and B) big pharm (specifically pain killers) to fleece insurance that the rest of us pay for.

Google deaths from wisdom teeth removal. People die almost every day from having this procedure, so they're really starting to crack down on unnecessary removals.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

since you're female you'll probably get dry socket no matter how careful you are (look it up if you don't believe me)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Google deaths from wisdom teeth removal.
no
Old 07-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

I had 2 of mine pulled. One was cut and the other they broke into pieces and pulled out the pieces.
Dry socket fucking SUCKS >.<