Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Sarnak

Default How to regain a classic game experience?

I'm low level currently, and I was duoing with my girlfriend from level 1. However, I've kind of lost all motivation to play. She is a full noob to the game and playing more by herself lately but I think I'm just losing my own motivation to play the game. I get frustrated every time she makes a mistake and I find myself focusing on exp entirely more than I should.

My main issue is the community. Not that anyone is bad, but I feel like everyone just knows way too much. Everyone is too leveled, there's too many people handing out gear and plat, there's too much porting going on, etc etc. Even I feel like I know way too much now... experience in other mmos has made me a much better gamer than I was 10 years ago. Now I can run to queynos from freeport as an iksar in less than an hour. It's convenient but I feel like the part of me that wants to win ruins the game for me.

Basically, I feel like everything is too solved... I know when I get to 60 there won't be anything new to discover(and I haven't even been to 60 yet, but just from past mmo experiences and reading the forums that's the feeling I get). I want to find some way to play the game as like an adventurer again. I want to feel more immersed in the world and my character. I don't really know how to regain this though. Is it just time to move on or is there a way to get in touch with my inner casual gamer?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Planar Protector

I'm going to stick my neck out here... haters will hate underneath.

If you want the hardcore start from scratch, no ports, no help... the only place to find that is on the P99 PvP server (R99, Red 99, P99 Red etc). The population is lower, you won't find too many twinked up characters - although there are a few that will log in on well geared alts to kill you because they're not very good at PvP and need that "win" feeling by stomping ungeared people of the same level.

Blue is twinked to hell, inflation is rampant (according to the forums at least). I was a server jumper on Live - new server? I moved! I hated the twinks - started on Prexus, moved to Lanys when it came up, Luclin, Tholuxe, and onto the EU servers when we got our own (Antonius Bayle, then onto Venril Sathir).

If the red server really isn't your thing, I would say try to ignore what's going on around you and play as if you've been given nothing in terms of help or financial assistance [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would say try to ignore what's going on around you and play as if you've been given nothing in terms of help or financial assistance [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. It's all there really is to it. No one can help you find your inner casual, you can only do that yourself grasshopper.

Find the fun in messing around with your girlfriend in newb zones. Stop focusing on exp per hour.

If someone gives you money, don't accept. Don't ask people for ports. That's all you really need to do to make the game much more difficult. Try playing a less utilized class/race combo, one that isn't lolwtfubereasy solo mode. (not saying you do)
Kill Mulder, we take the risk of turning one man's quest into a crusade.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Planar Protector

You're over 9000% wrong in thinking that you'll have discovered everything there is on p99 just by making level 60 once.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Planar Protector

Seriously. Go look at a listing of zones and think about how much you know about each one. Quests available, good items to camp in each, good spots to xp in each, hell, even just how to get across each zone safely (even if you DO use a map!).

Personally I've leveled from 1-50 on this server 7 (8? I forget) times, and 50-60 3 times; I've been in leveling guilds, roleplaying guilds, raiding guilds; I've killed every raid boss in the game, grouped in all the main zones, solod the great item camps, xped all over, PLed, been PLed, etc...

... and I basically know nothing about 3/4 of the zones on the server except how to get from one side to the other. Every time I spend more than 20 minutes in EC, I see an item in /auc that I NEVER remember having seen before. I am constantly amazed at the number of clicky items that I never knew existed, let alone personally owned and knew how to put to good use. I learn new tricks to use solo, grouped, or in raids every week. I've spent most of my time on my enchanter over the course of 3 months trying to solo most of the level 50+ mobs in the game that are worth killing, and I'm not finished, and it has been incredibly fun. Even though I've played a TON on this server, I don't know the tricks of classes other than the ones I've taken to 60, and even then I don't know all of those tricks.

You don't need to play dumb to feel like you're adventuring in EQ, even this long after we were MMO virgins back in the day. You just need to look a little closer, think a little harder, etc. Being able to run an iksar from qeynos to freeport without dying doesn't exactly mean that you've run out of adventures to have in EQ. Lol.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 03-06-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Kobold

DMT
Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Kobold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DMT
Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Aviak

What Tecmos said. I've been playing this game since 3 days after launch and only just recently realized that Kerra Isle is a dungeon on Odus. This entire time I've always thought it was just a location in Erud's Crossing. And I still haven't even been inside there...so there's more to see!

Stop thinking you know everything about the game and you'll quickly realize that new adventures are still to be had.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DMT
Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Fire Giant

... Velious.