Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, it takes the same amount of idiocy and close-mindedness to completely deny the existence of God as it does to have complete faith in the existence of God.

I believe in God, I also don't believe the world was created 6000 years ago and I believe in evolution. I'm not Christian.

I don't really care what other people believe, but agnosticism is 100x preferable to atheism.
That's having your cake and eating it too.

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- "In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

Old 01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtulu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The burden of proof is on you, Chanus, not science.

If that was the case, anyone could conjunct their own crazy ideas of whatever imaginary character ever, and we would have to believe them an be tolerant of it, by your logic.

We don't need to proof there isn't a God, the burden lies on religion to prove there is.
There's no burden on me, I never claimed to believe in a god.

There is no harm in believing or not believing in whatever fanciful imaginings one can construct for him- or herself, yet for some reason so-called atheists can not sleep at night without demanding the existence of a god be proven.

There is no need to prove the existence of a god for people who believe. It serves no purpose; they already have their faith.

Why someone who doesn't believe must so vehemently attack the harmless faith of others is ludicrous.

You may claim faith causes war, genocide, bigotry, or any number of things, but the truth is those are caused by greed. Causality and correlation have distinct meanings. Often people who perpetuate evil upon others use their faith as a crutch, but it is their greed that truly motivates them.

There are as many, if not more people who are faithful and do acts of good... just as there are plenty who have no faith and go acts of good or evil.

Your crusade to prove to anyone with faith that he or she is wrong serves no purpose other than to reaffirm your own choices due to some insecurity in your beliefs or misguided anger toward those you feel have done wrong.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

Hi my name is Chtutu and I like arguing about stupid shit on emulated everquest forums cause I aint got shit to do IRL
Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its hard to prove or disprove the existence or non-existence of god(s). Although usually, its pretty easy to prove how organized religion is just a tool to control people and make money by manipulating the fear of death in humans.
You do know that the 'church' doesn't really function the way the Bible outlines it right? You can't blame Jesus, for what men have done. We have free will, we make our own choices and decisions. Church leaders, Pastors, Deacons, Bishops are all men, and thus corruptible based on the fact that we are all men/women that were born into a world of sin and corruption and while we take on the image of God, we are not in and of ourselves divine beings. So, just because the church in large part is corrupt (and I agree with you here) doesn't mean that Christ is corrupt.

People's misconception of "Christians" isn't really based on "Christians" It's those people who claim to be Christians because they go to church on Sunday, and Wednesday, but choose not to live a Christian life, but go because it makes them feel good. Those aren't Christians, those are impostors.

I know there are many times when I'm not the best ambassador for Christ, and I know especially in regards to the guy who created this thread I've not been, but that's not because God loves Him any less, I just have a hard time dealing with people like him, those who believe they know everything, and have all the answers, even when they're as wrong as his statement about bards not being able to CC so it didn't matter if he was using an AoE sword. But in the end, none of this really matters.

I'm flawed, and I have plenty of my own struggles, so I'm not here trying to point out everything wrong with anyone else, that's for sure, I have my own short comings to work on. But seriously, it's laughable to think that someone who "doesn't care" cares enough to fight this vehemently against something that "doesn't exist"

I guess in the end, this thread isn't going to decide anything, just going to further fragment people, and push people further away from what the true message of the Bible is.

The overly simplified version is this:

Jesus loves you, and God has a plan for your life.

I hope that everyone can someday have the assurance that I do, and can know God how I know God. It's not because of a fact I found somewhere, it's not because Mommy and Daddy told me, it's because I know that God has impacted my life. So you can argue he doesn't exist, and I can know in my heart differently, but I'm not going to help you by words, or trying to convince you, I can just hope.

In the end, if I'm wrong, I haven't really missed out on anything in life, but in the end, if you're wrong, you'll be missing out on everything, and for that, I'm truly sad for you.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtulu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Next rocket moose will produce the "razor's edge" argument. Are you sure your pastor isn't right behind you?

Or at you subscribing to some website that supports Intelligence design as if it were some actual theory and quantified science?
Best of luck to you...

Painbringer ftw
Old 01-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You do know that the 'church' doesn't really function the way the Bible outlines it right? You can't blame Jesus, for what men have done. We have free will, we make our own choices and decisions. Church leaders, Pastors, Deacons, Bishops are all men, and thus corruptible based on the fact that we are all men/women that were born into a world of sin and corruption and while we take on the image of God, we are not in and of ourselves divine beings. So, just because the church in large part is corrupt (and I agree with you here) doesn't mean that Christ is corrupt.

People's misconception of "Christians" isn't really based on "Christians" It's those people who claim to be Christians because they go to church on Sunday, and Wednesday, but choose not to live a Christian life, but go because it makes them feel good. Those aren't Christians, those are impostors.

I know there are many times when I'm not the best ambassador for Christ, and I know especially in regards to the guy who created this thread I've not been, but that's not because God loves Him any less, I just have a hard time dealing with people like him, those who believe they know everything, and have all the answers, even when they're as wrong as his statement about bards not being able to CC so it didn't matter if he was using an AoE sword. But in the end, none of this really matters.

I'm flawed, and I have plenty of my own struggles, so I'm not here trying to point out everything wrong with anyone else, that's for sure, I have my own short comings to work on. But seriously, it's laughable to think that someone who "doesn't care" cares enough to fight this vehemently against something that "doesn't exist"

I guess in the end, this thread isn't going to decide anything, just going to further fragment people, and push people further away from what the true message of the Bible is.

The overly simplified version is this:

Jesus loves you, and God has a plan for your life.

I hope that everyone can someday have the assurance that I do, and can know God how I know God. It's not because of a fact I found somewhere, it's not because Mommy and Daddy told me, it's because I know that God has impacted my life. So you can argue he doesn't exist, and I can know in my heart differently, but I'm not going to help you by words, or trying to convince you, I can just hope.

In the end, if I'm wrong, I haven't really missed out on anything in life, but in the end, if you're wrong, you'll be missing out on everything, and for that, I'm truly sad for you.
My Uncle is a christian, and has a somewhat similar outlook than you (softer tone, contempt for corruption). He said to me this summer "These frauds have it all wrong, all you need to do to go to heaven is beleive in god". But still that left me this question: What kind of loving god would send me to burn in hell for eternity because I did not beleive in him?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Fire Giant

What kind of loving parent would let a son or daughter move out of the house and make his or her own decisions, regardless of how harmful they might be?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What kind of loving parent would let a son or daughter move out of the house and make his or her own decisions, regardless of how harmful they might be?
There is no real thing as free will. It's a paradox.

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- "In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your crusade to prove to anyone with faith that he or she is wrong serves no purpose other than to reaffirm your own choices due to some insecurity in your beliefs or misguided anger toward those you feel have done wrong.
I agree with what Chanus said above.

I only find there are 2 times religion becomes an issue and that is when it is taken as fact to make decisions about important things, and the way religion is presented as truth to children (who for no reason of their own should question its authenticity). In either of these cases I feel like it is ok to make a polite reminder on how their religion is not founded on any evidence or logical reasoning.

Otherwise there is no reason anyone should be restricted in believing whatever they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Sarnak

One that wants their children to learn the difference between right and wrong, and that their actions have consequences? amiright?