Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Kobold

I don't have a "regular" playtime, but if a newbie wanted to shoot me a tell in game with some questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them. And if it was possible, I'd more than happy to stop by where they were grouping to lend a hand for a little while. I enjoy helping folks out. My toon name is the same here as it is on P1999.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischsemmel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No no no. You're fine!

This is why I have been suggesting that the getting started post get a bit of a revamp, because it is the ONE post that anyone starting off in p99 is basically guaranteed to read. So why not put the super important stuff for new players to know in it besides just the technical how-to-get-started info?

Ip exemptions, mention of how super useful the wiki is, tips about how to ignore all the retarded trolling retards who frequent the forums, etc.
On the server that Draxiz used to host, we had a forum with a wiki of important info about various classes as well for super newbies that hadn't ever played at all to let them know what the classes were before they logged in. A lot of the players really seemed to appreciate that too. I'm not really familiar with EQ as I am with DAOC (the server we hosted at the house), so I know I'd find just a little blurb about each class pretty useful. Draxiz was helping someone the other night that this server was their first EQ experience ever.

Glad my questions weren't a bother! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Fire Giant

I just got off the phone with Jesus, and he said that he supports this thread.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Orc

As someone who just went through this on a few different machines, I'll write something up from a newbie's POV.

Incoming:
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Orc

Welcome to Project 1999.

Project 1999 is an Everquest Emulator Server based on the code base from EQEmulator, but heavily modified to provide the best classic experience possible.

Creating an Account
First, you will have to create an account to play on EQEmu servers, your old SOE login will not work. This is a fast, simple process. Head over to the EQemu forums and create an account. Once you have verified your account, go to your User CP and create a Login Server (LS) account. For security, its recommended this be different from your forum account. That's it! That login server account will be what you use to log in to our P1999 servers. Note that THIS INFORMATION IS NOT RECOVERABLE IN ANY WAY! DO NOT LOSE OR FORGET IT!

Although it is not necessary to play, I highly recommend you also create an account on these forums so you can take part in the community.

Getting an appropriate client set up
In order to play on our server, the first thing you will have to do is acquire Everquest Titanium edition, no other install will work. If you have never played Everquest before, the Titanium version is often available on Newegg. Alternatively, this thread has some ideas of other places you might find it, especially if you’ve simply lost or destroyed your old discs.

Once you have a FRESH install of EQ:Titanium, you will now have to set it up to run on our servers. Duxa, a community member here has made an excellent all-in-one installer tool that will do all of the below steps for you. I highly reccomend this approch, as it takes the human error factor out of the process. Note that in Vista or Windows 7, this must be run as administrator.

If for some reason you do not wish to use the installer, or it is not working for you, we'll head back to the EQEmu forums for a walkthrough on setting up our client. You can read the details here, we're on step 4 at this point. In short, what that post is telling you to do is edit your eqhosts.txt file, which is located in the directory you installed EQ to. You want to edit that file and replace what is in it with

[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998

Save and exit this file.

Navigate to your Everquest Titanium folder and move the following files out of the folder (Preferably create a new folder named "Backup" to put them in):
arena.eqg
arena_EnvironmentEmitters.txt
lavastorm.eqg
nektulos.eqg
Nektulos_EnvironmentEmitters.txt

Then download the following file and extract into your Everquest folder, overwriting any files if it prompts you to:
http://www.project1999.org/files/eqchangesv20.zip

Navigate to the uifiles/default folder within your Everquest Directory and copy the files from the following zip into it:
Http://www.project1999.org/files/uichangesv2.zip

The last step is to edit your desktop shortcut. Simply add "patchme" (no quotes) onto the end of your target (right click shortcut, select properties), so it will look something like this:
"C:\Program Files(x86)\Sony\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

That's it, you're ready to log in! Welcome to the server and enjoy your stay!

FAQ
I can log in, and hear music, but the screen is black.
Try running the game in Windowed mode.

I used Duxa's installer, but the icon it created doesn't do anything! (Windows Vista/7)
Right click it and select "Run as Administrator"

My roommate and I wanted to play at the same time, but we keep getting a "temporary IP Ban."
This is to combat multiboxing, WHICH IS NOT ALLOWED. If you legitimately want to play with someone in the same household, you will need an IP Exemption. To apply for one, visit the petition forum. Note that this can take as long as a few weeks to process, so don't be discouraged if you don't hear back right away!

P1999 is amazing! How can I do my part to keep the server running?
Please donate through Paypal. At this time, there are no rewards or incentives for donating other than keeping the server alive and running.

I have a question that isn't listed!
A more comprehensive FAQ can be found HERE.

Project 1999/Classic EQ Resources

The Library Section of this very forum deals with server-specific issues. If you have questions relating specifically to server rules, what is enabled, etc, this is the best place to start.

The Project 1999 Wiki is a very valuable resource for any number of items, quests or zones. It also has information on classes, such as hunting guides and spell levels and locations.

EQ Atlas has been mirrored by Maximum, a community member here.

Online Gaming Commands lists all the obscure alt-o type keyboard shortcuts you'll need to get set up, plus many chat commands.

Allakhazam and Ilia's Everquest Beatiary are available via the wayback machine. I've provided links for mid-2001, or the Velious era. They are also still live, however MUCH of the information is no longer applicable to our server.

What now?

Everquest does not babysit. It does not hold your hand or point you in any logical direction. When you spawn, you will be in a seemingly random place in a city with virtually no intelligent layout. It is up to you to learn your way around and set your own path. The first thing you want to do is find your trainer and hand in your newbie letter. Use the atlas above to find them. To give an item to an NPC, simply pick it up and drop it on them and press "Give" You'll get some exp and a shirt. Open your inventory (i) and equip your new shirt and your weapon.

If you're a caster, you want to memorize your spells. Open your spellbook (ctrl-B) and take one of your spells in your inventory and drop it onto an open slot in your book. You now know the spell, but you have to memorize it before using it. Take that icon from your spellbook and drop it onto an open spell gem slot (this will take some time). If you chose a casting class once you have a few gold, come back to your trainer and buy some more level one spells.

Each level, you'll get training points to spend in new skills at your trainer. Some skills (like meditate) will not raise until you spend 1 point in it. Visit your trainer often to see if you can learn a new skill.

Options for a customized "classic" feel

For the velious style User Interface, navigate to the uifiles folder, make a new folder called velious, navigate into it, and extract this into that folder:
http://www.project1999.org/files/veliousuiv3.zip
In order to activate this UI, you must type "/loadskin velious" from ingame

To hear the old style midi songs for loading, death, and combat, move the following files into your backup folder:
eqtheme.mp3
combattheme1.mp3
combattheme2.mp3
deaththeme.mp3

To change the loading screen, navigate to the Resources folder and replace loadscreen.jpg with one of the following (Right Click and Save As):
Original: Http://www.project1999.org/files/classic/loadscreen.jpg
Kunark: Http://www.project1999.org/files/kunark/loadscreen.jpg
Velious: Http://www.project1999.org/files/velious/loadscreen.jpg

To make the loginserver screens look like classic EQ (Click here for preview), navigate to uifiles/default and extract the files from this zip there:
Classic: http://www.project1999.org/files/EQLS_classic.zip
Kunark: http://www.project1999.org/files/kunarklogin.zip
Last edited by travatron; 01-31-2012 at 11:37 PM..
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Orc

Bumping this. Lots of new people asking lots of the questions addressed here.