Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Fire Giant

Default More newbie-friendly "Getting Started" post

After the last few days of watching the forums and seeing at least half a dozen new players posting on here because they are totally lost about something, I got to wondering if maybe it wouldn't be wise for p1999 to update the "Getting Started" post.

Why not throw another post into the "Getting Started" thread with some resources for new players to help them out once they are actually in the game? A link pointing to EQ atlas. A link pointing to the wiki. A couple links pointing directly to the 3+ guides on the wiki made specifically for newbies.

Sure, sure. They could just use google. Or they could peruse the forum's library section for themselves and find their own way to the wiki and the guides and stuff. But not all of them will, and why would we want players to be leaving before they've even truly gotten started on here?

You KNOW that for every one person who posts on the forums and asks for help, there is at least a few others who don't even bother and just give up on p1999 in frustration.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Sarnak

I agree, i think we should really gather a list of players that are willing to answer questions online and their usual playtimes and sticky it. I know I for one if i cant answer the question i can sure as hell help you find it =)
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome to Project 1999.

Project 1999 is an Everquest Emulator Server based on the code base from EQEmulator, but heavily modified to provide the best classic experience possible.

To get started, you must first obtain a copy of the specific Everquest client that is compatible with our server. This client is called the Titanium client, and can be found in various places like amazon, or ebay. The reason it must be the Titanium client is due to the way the client communicates with the server. Every time Everquest has a patch, those communication protocols are changed in that version of the client, and will no longer work with previous versions of server communication protocols. For this reason, only a Clean Install of Everquest Titanium will work.

First, Follow steps 1-5 in the guide for setting up EQEmulator at the Play Guide on EQEmulator. Once you have completed Step 5 there are additional modifications you must make to play on Project 1999 without any problems.

After completing the Guide above, you must make a few modifications to your Everquest files. Navigate to your Everquest Titanium folder and move the following files out of the folder (Preferably create a new folder named "Backup" to put them in):
arena.eqg
arena_EnvironmentEmitters.txt
lavastorm.eqg
nektulos.eqg
Nektulos_EnvironmentEmitters.txt

Then download the following file and extract into your Everquest folder, overwriting any files if it prompts you to:
http://www.project1999.org/files/eqchangesv20.zip

Navigate to the uifiles/default folder within your Everquest Directory and copy the files from the following zip into it:
Http://www.project1999.org/files/uichangesv2.zip

This completes the changes required for play, but there are some additional changes that are optional but will make the experience more 'classic' like:

For the velious style User Interface, navigate to the uifiles folder, make a new folder called velious, navigate into it, and extract this into that folder:
http://www.project1999.org/files/veliousuiv3.zip
In order to activate this UI, you must type "/loadskin velious" from ingame

To hear the old style midi songs for loading, death, and combat, move the following files into your backup folder:
eqtheme.mp3
combattheme1.mp3
combattheme2.mp3
deaththeme.mp3

To change the loading screen, navigate to the Resources folder and replace loadscreen.jpg with one of the following (Right Click and Save As):
Original: Http://www.project1999.org/files/classic/loadscreen.jpg
Kunark: Http://www.project1999.org/files/kunark/loadscreen.jpg
Velious: Http://www.project1999.org/files/velious/loadscreen.jpg

To make the loginserver screens look like classic EQ (Click here for preview), navigate to uifiles/default and extract the files from this zip there:
Classic: http://www.project1999.org/files/EQLS_classic.zip
Kunark: http://www.project1999.org/files/kunarklogin.zip

Getting back into EverQuest:

Finding your way around:

In-game maps do not function as they are not a classic feature, as many recall having printed out maps of the dungeons they would frequently get lost in. Here is a link to the old EQ Atlas often utilized by players during classic-PoP eras.

http://www.eqmacwiki.com/eqatlas/atlas.html

Classic Guides:

Since the game not be identical to how you remember it or you don't remember how it used to be, there is a player supported/updated wiki page that will help you through old zones / quests / drops as they were in Classic/Kunark.

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Main_Page

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Players:Newbie

What to play?

Seriously just play the class that you want to play and you'll have the most fun. Don't fret about "what is needed" or "what class is good".

However... Clerics, Enchanters, Tanks (all 3) will almost always secure you a group slot. If you want to solo look into Necromancer, Druid, Bard, Magician, Enchanter, Wizard, Shaman. Hybrids have exp penalties still yes, but generally this won't hinder you in forming a normal group. If you want to group almost always look at the aformentioned 'trio' of classes and add in solid DPS classes like Rogue, Monk, Mage, Wizard. Rangers and Bards are very useful too but aren't technically the 'best' at any one grouping role but can do quite a few of them.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Done.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Sarnak

looks good, but again, sometimes just reading isnt enough for some to stay hooked as there is always frustrations along the way. I still agree that we need to put a player list together of people who want to be "guides" so to speak. Actually i thought there was an option to turn /guide on? that might of been DAoC... hrmm nonetheless we all know what its like to be frustrated and need help with SOMETHING.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Fire Giant

Really gotta bring this up again.

Besides players who are new to p99 regularly coming here and asking questions that could quickly and easily be addressed by the wiki or whatever, there are at least a few people a week who post on here who are utterly baffled by the fact that they can't play with their friend/spouse/whatever from the same house.

A better getting started post could also address this.

Please?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to DOPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischsemmel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really gotta bring this up again.

Besides players who are new to p99 regularly coming here and asking questions that could quickly and easily be addressed by the wiki or whatever, there are at least a few people a week who post on here who are utterly baffled by the fact that they can't play with their friend/spouse/whatever from the same house.

A better getting started post could also address this.

Please?
What's stopping you from doing it?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Orc

I didn't even know where to look to find the answer to my question. I've never heard of an IP exemption before! Sorry if I caused a fuss!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPE [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's stopping you from doing it?
Oh yeah, I had totally forgotten that I could edit Rogean's posts.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris822 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't even know where to look to find the answer to my question. I've never heard of an IP exemption before! Sorry if I caused a fuss!
No no no. You're fine!

This is why I have been suggesting that the getting started post get a bit of a revamp, because it is the ONE post that anyone starting off in p99 is basically guaranteed to read. So why not put the super important stuff for new players to know in it besides just the technical how-to-get-started info?

Ip exemptions, mention of how super useful the wiki is, tips about how to ignore all the retarded trolling retards who frequent the forums, etc.
Closed Thread