Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Fire Giant

Certain spells, such a sentinel, were made specifically with the spell-book-in-the-face in mind. Perhaps with time we will have that feature back.

I wonder if sentinel would be some use in pvp? Maybe if its range was increased a bit, it would really help casters detect some evil PK sneaking up behind them.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I recall this being true, but it makes me wonder how classic we have to get.

I wanted to try making a halfling paladin but apparently that wasn't allowed. Not sure how that really breaks immersion when there were gnome warriors in classic though.
I too would like to make a non-classic paladin (gnome!). Unfortunately, they do try to make things as classic as possible. I bet the only reason we don't have to stare at our spellbooks is that they haven't gotten around to coding that in yet :/

But as for the short races that got new classes, I think halfling paladin is the biggest stretch :P

The clerics all worship Bristlebane, which is really cool! But they can't really have paladins that are out to cause mischief and mayhem, so they're all stuck worshiping Karana. And Karana is a traditional paladin deity, but the class itself doesn't really fit in well with lore of the race. I mean they're supposed to be like playful, lazy and carefree creatures; not knights in shining armor.

Of course, gnome knights don't make all that much sense either.. but at least they fit in with the cleric and necro deities [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The only new combination that made a lot of sense was halfling ranger.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

you had to stare at the book for a while. i also dont remember when you didnt have to anymore, but it definitely was in classic. i was there at release
Gakruk - Troll Shaman
Old 11-11-2011, 01:28 PM
VIP / Contributor

As a person who fixed some of these once-thought unfixable issues, I will say this:

Yes, it's possible.
It just needs to have time set aside for it. Nilbog's original post is spot-on.

It will require:

- Opcode to start meditating (0/1 flag)
- Serverside checks to prevent meditating while standing and other invalid conditions.
- Serverside handling of the opcode to turn meditating on.
- Extra: Disabling other UI elements as well as the viewport to simulate book in the face when the book window is up. The UI element would cover the entire viewport in classic.
- UI element when pressed sends opcode with 0/1 flag depending
- UI files modified to support the UI element

The last two will take considerably long, the others are trivial and can be done in a day.

While I am on the subject of classic, I may start work on a "true classic" UI using the elements from the original bmpwad files. I just recently found out the dimensions of every single window so the only thing left to do would be to write XMLs. This would mean that there would be a single chat window, no options for transparency, and all UI elements would be locked for a true classic experience.

The original UI was the XML-based UI hard coded, in case anyone was wondering. Hard coded meaning the dimensions, the names of the tga/bmp/tegra overlays, etc, were all embedded in the client and could not be modified. The same effect could be achieved with the XML-based UI and minor edits to the files to disallow some features, sans some important things like the character window viewport (which was broken in DX8 anyways.)

This UI would be *completely* voluntary when first released and there for immersion only.

If it is successful, I will implement the UI from velious as an XML-style format, and those two will be the only UIs allowed, pending review from Nilbog or Rogean to force them.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it is successful, I will implement the UI from velious as an XML-style format, and those two will be the only UIs allowed, pending review from Nilbog or Rogean to force them.
I'm really not liking where this is heading.. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great infos.
I don't see why it should get turned down if you had something working perfectly. Now if you can do the classic character creation and character select screens from there, bravo. Huge elements of a classic feel.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Large Rat

Some classic "features" were mistakes, why should any effort be put towards re-implementing what was takin out for it's obvious shatliness ?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

even tho its 1 chat window & its so terrible, id still do it

classic style
Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Aviak

I played in 99, as a shaman. used to meditate via the spell book. it was painful, dont need to repeat that imo.

Also played in the old ui. the little box. while i love to look at it thru old screenshots i would again not really like to see that return.

However, admitidly i used that ui for ages and what ever the server uses, the population will come to think of as the norm. so i am fine with it.

Come to think of it... the purple clicky item links were not *classic* so, how would you like to type out all the stats individually too.. hmm maybe not please.