Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 ain't a charity that's all I'll say
Old 06-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why merge at all is the question
The idea of the merge is just to solve the problem of not wiping a server. I personally would rather the server just reset every 3 years and wipe. Maybe they would be up for that with a new server if they were up front about the wipe before it started.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 ain't a charity that's all I'll say
You seem like someone that would know. Is there a way to collect $ without infringing on laws to help pay for the server if it is somehow proven to not be making profit? Is there a way to spread cost to players as if it is a non-profit?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Banned

After skimming through this thread I decided my toilet time would be better spent reading the back of a Shampoo bottle
Old 06-01-2016, 04:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoNipple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You seem like someone that would know. Is there a way to collect $ without infringing on laws to help pay for the server if it is somehow proven to not be making profit? Is there a way to spread cost to players as if it is a non-profit?
If I may...

The law is unclear on this. We have Daybreak's support of this server as precedent for allowing donations to a free server. We also have Blizzard shutting down Nostalrius as precedent for the owners of an IP to be able to shut down a server like P1999 if they choose. So far as I know, none of this kind of thing has actually gone to court.

That said, I'm also skeptical of trying to pay Rogean to do anything. Ultimately, it would be a minority of players (most people on the server wouldn't donate) trying to pay for decisions that would affect everyone. It would be lobbying, something I'm against.

If Rogean wants to do something, and asks for money to get it going, that would be okay. Except that then it would almost certainly be legal, since we would be directly paying him to create a private server for an IP he doesn't own.

Ultimately, Rogean will have to keep doing what he's been doing: deciding things on his own, and leaving the donate button sitting there for anyone who wants to send money.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoNipple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The idea of the merge is just to solve the problem of not wiping a server. I personally would rather the server just reset every 3 years and wipe. Maybe they would be up for that with a new server if they were up front about the wipe before it started.
The point of my question is its gonna suck all the life out of the original server, anyways. And the only real positive is people holding onto their pixels. Which is going ruin the economy on the newly populated server. Not even leaning on the chance that sick individuals will be playing both servers. And that just means more staff or most likely even less, with explosive personalities. Ultimately I think it'd be a shit show, but I'm completely not against anything at this point.

I'm completely behind a wipe. There should be a chance at an actual classic timeline.
Last edited by georgie; 06-01-2016 at 05:01 PM..
Old 06-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm completely behind a wipe. There should be a chance at an actual classic timeline.
Rogean said it would never happen, though. And p1999 is by far the best classic EQ experience out there, due to the stellar code base, anti cheating, and rules against multiboxing.

At this point, the only things I know of which might happen, and could produce an actual classic experience (instead of the nihilistic and stale server we have now) are:
  1. Rogean releases a teams server, which seems unlikely.
  2. Rogean releases the source code and someone else makes a stable and popular server, also unlikely.
  3. Daybreak makes better classic servers which don't allow multiboxing, very unlikely.
Not holding my breath.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Fire Giant

but keep yellow text and ooc because classic experience

those didn't (and continue) to contribute to the server state. nope
Old 06-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Fire Giant

Red is structurally perfect IMO.

4years of kunark during the dev process is the issue.

Re release via wipe or a parallel server with scheduled merge on classic timeline IMO.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
There is already a really simple solution that has been brought up many times. They have a 3rd server. Start up a new PvP server identical to Red99 and have it merge with the old Red99 every 3 years.

1 year classic, 1 year kunark, 1 year velious

There are no resets or wipes.
This sounds awesome. Not surprised that I also agree with Gardur. Except wiping - I think a new server would be the way.
Last edited by Videri; 06-01-2016 at 07:02 PM..
Closed Thread