Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Aviak

Default Paladin tanking help

I'm relatively new to the server, just started a few weeks ago and rolled up a Paladin. Gotten to lvl 14 and have been tanking the whole way but struggling to keep mobs on me. I use Flash of Light, but many times the mobs just turn to my other party members. Done a bit of research and I've seen some say it works like root in that it's proximity based agro, however, I've had melee in the group and even if I'm on top of the mob I still have them turning from me to whack on others.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it just a case of people having gear that does so much damage I can't hold agro off them? Feels bad when I'm trying to tank and I can't keep mobs off my group mates. Any suggestions from people who play Paladins here on 1999?

Thanks, and if you group with a low level paladin named Aryan, just know I'm trying :P
Old 07-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Aggro is kinda fubar here. Flash of light basically keeps the mob from aggroing anyone outside of melee range (like casters) since its blind. The mob will still aggro whoever has highest threat within melee range though. Most likely you're grouping with people who don't use /assist macro's on the tank since you're low level.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Flash of light simply doesn't work all that well on Project 1999, not like it did on Live. It never has. Aggro in general is rather weird on here. Life is tough until you reach 22 for root and 30 for stun, and you'll never be able to aggro-lock mobs quite as well as the class could on Live. Such oddities are par for the course on a fan-made emulator and to be expected.

Danth
Old 07-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

blind does not work like root.

you may have groupmates twinked to high heaven and their dps just puts your agro on the backburner. either way, just spam flash of light more than you are, imo. It's really low mana cost.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Banned

It's rough until you get stuns, then it's cake.

Flash of light is nowhere near as useful as it was on live, but it's sufficient in most cases. Twinks will throw off this, though.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just spam flash of light more than you are, imo. It's really low mana cost.
So there's more to FoL than just it's blind mechanics, it actually does produce threat?

I've generally just applied it once and then reapplied if it ran out, i guess I'll try spamming it till I get the mob on me and see how that works out.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susano [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So there's more to FoL than just it's blind mechanics, it actually does produce threat?

I've generally just applied it once and then reapplied if it ran out, i guess I'll try spamming it till I get the mob on me and see how that works out.
The reason it produces aggro (threat is WoW!), is Flash of Light is a debuff. Spells with debuff components calculate a higher aggro value than those without. Which is a reason that Flame Lick the druid/ranger level 1 DoT was crazy aggro, because it debuffed AC and FR iirc.

But as previous posters said. Flash of Light -> Stun is your casting progression. Once you get stuns you are home free, its pretty hard to out aggro a chain stunning paladin without taunt.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Sarnak

Flash of light got changed one day without any patch notes, and ever since has been funky.
Back in may 2010 when I started on this server, Flash of light guaranteed aggro.
Then one day I was raiding in hate after a patch like 5 - 6 months ago, and it was seemingly broken.
Anyways.. once you get root at 22, use that for breaking mezzes or to snap aggro off of a party member.
Last edited by Maurk; 07-02-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Planar Protector

I didn't even use stuns for agro. usually 2 blinds and I'm set. a third if I somehow lost agro. stun if the mob ran away to a caster or something, then reblind when you're back in melee.

if I had clarity or something and mana was a-wastin, maybe I'd use stun for kicks.

but yes now that blind is broken and they decide to run away even though people are in melee idk may want to lean on stuns more (when possible).