Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 05-08-2022, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

I disagree that cancer comes from our bodies trying to adapt. It's a disastrous result of the dangers of constantly adapting in a world with oil in the air.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree that cancer comes from our bodies trying to adapt. It's a disastrous result of the dangers of constantly adapting in a world with oil in the air.
It doesnt come from our bodies. It comes from mutations being both good and bad. Bad mutations are 'cancer' good mutations are advantageous changes that become part of the gene pool o v e r time. Simples.
Also agree oils and pulution im general in the air/water are bads.
Last edited by Duik; 05-08-2022 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Agreeing! Ha pulution is staying
Old 05-08-2022, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

but how bad is where I think it matters, like, are you suggesting that niccotine does not increase the rate of bad mutations, and the volume of? if you got rid of everything that did that, then youd have no "cancer" but you would still have bad mutations im arguing.

or cancer weould be so extremely rare that we wouldnt even know about it

Thats what I reckon with my zero knowledge on the subject.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:01 AM
Planar Protector

With ya on nicotine, pollution etc could add to bad mutations.
My point still is that mutations are both, strength and weakness.
Absolutely agree we do not help ourselves by drinking booze, smoking, driving gas guzzling cars (bikes are ok :-p) burning stuff in general and breathing it in.
Ok, get rid of cancer by ridding ourselves of these vices not by removing our cells' ability to mutate. If that is where you were headed.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:04 AM
Planar Protector

like take uranium for example, should we flood the planet with it (yes please) because it makes cancer mutations? no.

thats just what im saying, like what if oil alone has caused every cancer death on the planet, and without it our negitive mutations would be benign.

imagine that how nice that'd be to not have cancer be a thing. people in the future be like, haha wow it was just the oil after all we stopped that and cancer went down 98% would be like a, big ouch for our century of pain heh
Old 05-08-2022, 02:34 AM
Planar Protector

Thorium, fixed it for you.
I like your idea, but as usual its prolly not just one of our collective stupidities that fucks us over. Nuclear power ftw. Thorium salt reactors. Still need research but in my novice understanding look promising and dont produce weapons grade waste furthermore can use some forms of plutonium in their reactors. Way too sensible to be adopted.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thorium, fixed it for you.
I like your idea, but as usual its prolly not just one of our collective stupidities that fucks us over. Nuclear power ftw. Thorium salt reactors. Still need research but in my novice understanding look promising and dont produce weapons grade waste furthermore can use some forms of plutonium in their reactors. Way too sensible to be adopted.
Thorium is still a huge maybe among 1000 other maybe alternatives. you say it still needs research, which is a massive understatement, that tech is still a twinkle in it's fathers eye.

Uranium fission remains the cleanest, vastly the most abundant source of energy that humanity currently has access to.

The folks out there who always cite "Chernobyl and Three mile island" are wildly misguided.

the 1986 Chernobyl event was yet another in a long string of screw-ups that occured under the Russians. The 1986 event was just too big to cover up, but they still tried. There were several "near misses" at the plant before the "catastrophic" melt down. That plant was doomed to fail by politics, not implementation.

by comparison, Three mile island was absolutely nothing. the ultimate Nothing Burger. Some systems failed, cool heads prevailed, and prevented a total melt down.

In Pripyat, you need the government's permission to go within 30 kilometers of the site.

In Pennsylvania, I drive by the three mile island...island, several times a month. until recently it was still in operation, it never financially recovered from its "fallout".

TMI is a running joke in this area. Chernobyl is a fear in Ukraine.

but "muh radiation" try this on climate alarmist - coal plants burn such a vast quantity of material that they produce more ambient radiation than fission plants.

until renewable energy sources can meet the demand for electricity, fission plants are the only ones which can meet demand, without burning fossil fuels.

I have absolutely no idea where the greenies think that they are going to generate the electricity for 3 billion electric vehicles, when we cannot meet the demands for a hot day in July.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have absolutely no idea where the greenies think that they are going to generate the electricity for 3 billion electric vehicles, when we cannot meet the demands for a hot day in July.
There are too many damned people. The global personal car fleet at the moment is estimated to be roughly 5.4 billion vehicles. That doesn't include commercial vehicles, industrial vehicles or airplanes.

If we were to replace the entire global personal car fleet with lithium-powered batteries it would use up the world's supplies of lithium with just a single fleet replacement. Again, that doesn't include commercial, industrial or airborne vehicles.

Likewise, did you guys knows that jet fuel is still leaded?

I'm not a luddite because I foresee the need for a low-energy lifestyle. Just observant.
Last edited by bomaroast; 05-08-2022 at 10:02 AM..
Old 05-08-2022, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

we don't need to go back to low energy lifestyles, this is the wrong conclusion to draw from our energy problems.

SOURCING is the real issue, not the use of energy.

One Example: the solar energy that hits the earth between the hours of 12-1 PM (One Hour) is more than enough energy to power planet earth for 1 Year. We're just too stupid to harness it.

People need to forget hydro, wind, or anything else. The Sun provides more energy than humanity will ever require.

Solar Solar Solar Solar Solar Solar Solar Solar Solar

keep saying it over and over until you forget anything else.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:09 AM
Banned

Plants and algea seaweed and fishies all the energy we ever needed and could have shared with the whales.

What if for 1.5 million years we all lived that perfect lifestyle. Until things suddenly started to really change.

I think we have less than a thousand years. 200. Maybe 400 at most before our civilization becomes the new trolls and orcs in the ruins.