Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Kobold

Lightbulb Living Without Money

Ive always been interested in frugal living, instead of running the rat race that most people run in there lives. Doing something the complete opposite trying to climb down the ladder rather than to the top. But does climbing the ladder to the top really get you to the so called top? I dont think it does and I wanted to share some links with you and ask the question, how many of you could live without money? I personally think I could do it aside from missing technology I love computers and really my computer is my most important possession aside from some survival and camping gear that I own. For me its always been the battle between the two kind of giving up the way you were programmed in a way. Or giving up an addiction in which I guess you could say im addicted to computers lol.

Life and Mind Off-Grid (intro)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzJJM...eature=related

Mark Boyle - Living without money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDSCx...eature=related

Living Without Money- New Documentary Coming Out By An Older Lady
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djzitB1xyoc

Mark Boyles Book-The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living (all proceeds go to starting a moneyless community)
http://www.amazon.com/Moneyless-Man-.../dp/1851687815

Early Retirement Extreme: A philosophical and practical guide to financial independence
http://www.amazon.com/Early-Retireme...ref=pd_sim_b_5
Are we all just slaves to the system?
Us and them and after all were just ordinary men.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJJ7ec1eAo
"Freedom cannot exist in the world of Capitalism any more than a fish can live out of water."
Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Aviak

There are some good ideals behind this, but some obvious ironies. Most obvious is the fact that both Mark Boyle and Heidemarie Schwermer require money, just not their own. Boyle needs money to start, and Schwermer accepts charity.

I understand their thought process that money leads people away from "what's important", even though that statement itself is too vague for my tastes. For me, it is more manageable to live frugally than off the grid. That and 95% of the people who would get involved with an off-the-grid society would be incessantly pontificating blowhards that would drive me fucking nuts.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Fire Giant

I'd love to move up into the mountains and tame some bears and wolves to do my bidding.

Seriously, every time I see a fucking thread like this OH MYGOD THEY HAD 14 PEOPLE ITS OUR MOB LOL OURS OURS OURS YESSS I just want to fucking deathtouch the entire guild and despawn the mob.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

paging boggwin to come in and call everyone losers, gays, and sinners.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Kobold

Ill read some of those links when I'm home on my CPU. My first thoughts are that the things that are important to me and my family that require $ are health care and education for my child. Both of which are extremely expensive. Living like a barefoot hippie in the forest communing with squirrels is great, but I choose to live in a relatively safe neighborhood in a good school system and have the ability to be responsible in case any medical emergencies happen. If you rely on others to take care of you in medical emergencies just because you don't feel like paying for healthcare you're a deadbeat. I have more to say but ill leave it at that.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Aviak

Check out the Zeitgeist movement. http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/
Crazy bunch of thousands of people from around the world advocating a worldwide transition to essentially get rid of money. I don't necessarily agree with their approach, but I like the ideas and common sense they put forth.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Aviak

of course you can always learn to save money on just about everything so that you can spend cash on those things that are important to you.

Just sayin:
www.moneysavingmom.com
www.commonsensewithmoney.com
www.couponingtodisney.com
www.iheartpublix.com
www.iheartsavingmoney.com
www.slickdeals.net ($$$$ LOVE THIS SITE!)
www.faithfulprovisions.com

I could go on and on......the point is....if you learn to save cash on things you use every day - you can do just about ANYTHING with your left over cash.

money saving mom feeds her family of 5 on a grocery budget of right around $30 a week..... and she and her husband recently bought a house with cash. She has zero debt.

for serious. smart moneyin' FTW. and if you aren't using swagbucks yet.....well....you are missing out :P

message me to ask about them :P
Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryARC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I choose to live in a relatively safe neighborhood in a good school system and have the ability to be responsible in case any medical emergencies happen. If you rely on others to take care of you in medical emergencies just because you don't feel like paying for healthcare you're a deadbeat. I have more to say but ill leave it at that.
Ok. I have to address this. You CHOOSE to have the ability to be responsible but not everyone has that capability.

consider someone who is extremely mentally ill and is unable to hold down a job that pays enough for health insurance, their meds AND to have money left afterwards to sock away for medical emergencies...

or perhaps even more sad:

A woman who is told 2 weeks before she has her second child that her husband has decided he no longer wants to be married, never loved her and doesn't really want to be a father.

Have you checked the job market lately? Do you know how much daycare costs? Without any assistance that woman has the cards stacked against her. NOW she is a single mother and unless she happens to have an abundance of supportive folks willing to help her she is screwed.

Now every day for her is a struggle and you can DAMN SURE bet the farm that 90% of women in that position are unable to provide for emergency care for their children - does that make them deadbeats? no - it makes the men worthless wastes of space and when they dont' pay their child support - dead beats.....not to mention that makes the road that much harder for the single mother.

I hear the term "Welfare mom" bandied about a lot and you know what? That is degrading and horrible. Sure there are plenty of people who pop out babies just to get the assistance from the government but i'd wager even MORE people who take assistance are ashamed and embarrassed to receive assistance....why would you insult someone who tries their very best but falls short due to no fault of her own?

Most people assume there are all kinds of programs for single mothers and there may be but damn if they aren't hard to find and get access to.

My friend's brother is autistic. He works at Pizza Hut and he has health insurance and does okay managing his money but he does also have state funded medicaid. is he a deadbeat also for relying on public assistance?

Just because someone is not as blessed and fortunate as YOU are does not make them a deadbeat.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Just sayin'
Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephrana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
money saving mom feeds her family of 5 on a grocery budget of right around $30 a week..... and she and her husband recently bought a house with cash. She has zero debt.
Ramen in bulk is cheap. Her kids probably hate her and are malnourished.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Kobold

Sephrana I totally agree with you. Life is expensive. And people who have disabilities and or not enough resources to have adequate healthcare etc should be helped. I'm not an asshole. I'm saying that a dupster diving, no job having freegan lifestyle is not for me or my family. I chose to be able to travel, live comfortably and work hard for it. I want my son to see my work ethic. I am blessed to have a stable job and I thank god/the universe etc that I'm healthy enough to hold it down. I also appreciate those links on saving $. Ill put some of those practices to use