Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Sarnak

Default The plagued Karana's

Back when I started playing I remember the dread of the Karana's (west or north)

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=6954

It does not appear that this NPC is on P99 and according to the link it wasn't removed until 2001. This also brings me to another point; wasn't the Karana's plagued back in the day? I seem to remember a green haze in the zone and running into Griffons because the limited viewing distance. And in the link above it states that there was some sort of GM event that cleansed the plague from the Karana's which is why The Swarm Mother was removed.

"Living my life 6 seconds at a time." - Unknown
Old 05-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Sarnak

I remember NK definitely being plagued. The beetles in the zone also dropped gems that they never did before. This went on for quite a while. I want to say 6 months at least. Maybe we'll see it sometime after Velious hits? /shrug The zones went back to normal sometime just before Luclin.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Are you thinking of a Halloween GM Event?

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Old 05-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

No, they're thinking of a months-long event in West and North Karana. Some different monsters spawned (the swarm mother, etc) and those two zones were given a greenish clipping fog. East and South Karana were both unaffected.

Danth
Old 05-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Aviak

http://web.archive.org/web/200305260...avintelase.htm

Lore details.
Caity Laughinghammer 54 Barbarian Shaman <Ra Imperial Guard> Torv
Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Sarnak

I don't remember the plague being an event, because it was there at the start of the game. I played a half elf bard when the game first opened and I remember the the Karana's always being like that up until Luclin. The GM event was an event that cleansed the Karana's and made some mobs disappear, but the actual plague doesn't look like an event.

"Living my life 6 seconds at a time." - Unknown
Old 05-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Plague of the Karanas lasted many months and through mid-Kunark and most of Velious when they ran the Rodcet Nife "Cleansing of the Karanas" event that resulted in the Prime Healer's Bulwark. This happened on servers before Luclin was released, so hopefully we see one here.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54286

http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/view...hp?f=16&t=2154

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-FbEj1c1IY

Quote:
The Coming of the Plaguebringer (GM Event via Patches)
I still remember that day as if it has been yesterday. I had heard the tells of some rude individuals that had appeared outside the gates of Qeynos and near the square harassing passers by. Of course I did not think much of it, save those I helped to defend.

But no less then a few week later was when their camps grew and these rude individuals now became replaced by ones much more Loathsome to behold. These Loathsome individuals spread their camps out into the hills of Qeynos, where they awaited and continued with their dark rites. Within their midst could be found those of the profession of rogues, priests, wizards, and warriors.

The wizards carried in their possession unknown runes and a strange tome of research. The priests would occasionally be found to carry a weapon called a Runed Branding Iron.

Within the hands of the warriors were found strange swords that seemed as if to denote rank. The blades in order were Initiate's Blade, Adept's Blade, and Befouled Longsword.

Thieves from these camps were said to have been spotted by the locals sneaking into the Temple of Life within the shadow of night to steal the scrolls from within.

The keeper of the Lion's Mane Tavern, Earron Huntlan, wrote to Antonius Bayle complaining of these individuals. Eventually, he sent the Magistrate, Vegalys Keldrane, to investigate the matter. Vegalys sought proof that these now Loathsome Individuals were up to no good and began to summon the aid of many adventurers.

It was then that Al'Kabor discovered a strange diary page, and determined the symbol on the page to be part of an incantation to summon Bertoxxulous himself. An ancient rite long past from Dartain and the heretics that had founded old Paineel, which now lays consumed within the darkness of The Hole. Similar pages were found laying around Qeynos and Qeynos Hills.

Azibelle Spavin the witch of Qeynos, was reported to meet with shady characters and whisper conversations in the Lion's Mane Tavern. Tylman Lushfeld, a bard in love with Azibelle, would sit in the bar during the day, pining for Azibelle. She would show up at night.

There are some that say in hushed whispers that long ago Azibelle Spavin stood at a crossroads and sold her soul to the Plaguebringer on a dark and stormy night, when lost souls peered about from the world beyond.

Bandit runners carrying pieces of Marble and Enchanted Clay, and some strange paint were discovered in and around Qeynos as well. Some of these were Gnolls. They occasionally were found to carry a Brooch of Sw'Vaye (proof of allegiance to Rykonis Sw'Vaye, who Antonius Bayle had banished from Qeynos) from amidst their possessions.

The scroll thief (who spawned every night at 11pm game time), carried a scroll, which could be turned into Athrin Tashir in the Tavern, who in turn gave a reward in the semblance of a ring (and XP as well).

The pages found from the ground (the primary numbered ones) combined with the right rune (from the loathsomes) in the new research book (also from the loathsomes) returned an incantation (3 different types). These could be turned into Vegalys Keldrane at the wall atop the gate of Qeynos, as proof of the misdoings of these Loathsome Individuals. Adventurers were rewarded with a random piece of Rubicite armor (no breastplate).

The Runed Branding Irons could be turned in as well to the local Magistrate; same reward.

After about two weeks, the Loathsome Individuals fled, along with the Thief and all other related individuals. It was then announced that their leader, Mordavin Telase, had been captured.

The Trial of Mordavin Telase then came to pass. It was revealed that he intended on unleashing a plague on the entire Kingdom of Qeynos (Qeynos, Karana Plains, and Surefall Glade) that would slay all those who dwelled within the Kingdom's borders. (GM Event)

The Scrolls were being stolen to research a Rune which would protect the Bloodsabres and their allied from the coming plague. That rune was found to match the rune on the Runed Branding Iron. The incantations were discovered to be part of an ancient rite to summon Bertoxxulous himself. Only three of the four parts of the incantation were ever found. Woe and despair be to the bringer of the fourth rune that would doom us all to pestilence and decay.

Telase and the Bloodsabres had been building a Temple to Bertoxxulous in the Qeynos sewers. Hence the paint, marble, and clay. The workload proved too much for him, so he enlisted the help of Rykonis Sw'Vaye. Rykonis Sw'Vaye in turn hired the gnolls to help in the tasks at hand.

Mordavin managed to escape at his trial, and the hunt was on. He was eventually found in the western Karanas heading towards an encampment of sorts. He was apprehended by a band of adventurers and imprisoned within the dungeons of Qeynos. (GM Event)

The Trial of Mordavin Telase (from the EverQuest website) (found at: http://www.1stfistoflight.com/~fol/publ ... telase.htm )
An account of the trial, by a witness of the court.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:24 AM
Developer

This was patched in some time ago and will be removed with the October patch (chardok revamp). I hope to get some sort of classic-like cleansing event coordinated with the GMs.