Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 05:46 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default A million problems

I have been absent for almost a year from this server. I finally got a new computer, and it has Windows 10(I can only assume this is a major factor in the problems I'm having). I downloaded Titanium and got everything ready for play. When I launched, for some reason it was set to windowed mode automatically, even though my computer is so powerful that it can run Battlefield 1 on ultra graphics with zero lag(thus I obviously don't suspect such a default setting has anything at all to do with my computer's ability(or lack thereof) to run this game). In windowed mode, the resolution(set to my desktop resolution) makes it impossible for me to interact with the bottom inch or more of my screen(where the EQ button, and therefore nearly every administrative option, is located). In other words, I was cut off from vital components to playing this game, as well as cut off from any ability to fix it in game. I tried several things. Tabbing out and setting the resolution to a greater value while the game remained running caused it to black out, thus obviously preventing any kind of continuation of such a fix. I used alt+enter to make it full screen again, but, for a reason which, to this day, is unknown to me, pressing alt+enter caused my sound to completely vanish in game. Nothing at all, not a spell, not a footstep, nothing makes a sound at all, and I am unable to figure out why. I closed the game, and messed with my hardware settings to see if I could get a change at all. I restarted the game, and now, every time I log in with ALL THREE of my loginserver accounts, the character select screen shows no characters. NONE! I have spent RIDICULOUS amounts of time leveling my characters to where they are. Needless to say, even had I not been dealing with the previously stated annoying issues, I would be FURIOUS to see my hard earned characters disappear with no explanation. So, as calmly as I possibly can, I ask: WHAT THE FUCK????

In conclusion: As you can see, I am having problems that seem to perpetuate themselves, and the internet, as of yet, offers no resolution to them at all. What the hell is happening? I love EverQuest. I really do. But if this is what I have to deal with to play it, I will willingly and easily say goodbye to it forever.
Last edited by Eumora; 01-16-2017 at 05:49 AM..
Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 AM
Planar Protector

Wecome to EQ.

First things first install a fresh copy in your C drive. To reclaim your character select you could of also adjust your video card to have vertexs on. Remember this game is 17 yrs old it doesn't need a whole lot to function which means to much will break it.

My windows 8 machine had the resolution issue for a while and setting eqgames.exe to compatibility mode will help with this but you also have to set your resolution to the native resolution of your screen and you will reaccquire that inch.

Alt O will bring up options in game need not the EQ button. This all depends on if the fresh copy will result with the same resolution issues.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 01-16-2017, 06:12 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupakk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wecome to EQ.

First things first install a fresh copy in your C drive. To reclaim your character select you could of also adjust your video card to have vertexs on. Remember this game is 17 yrs old it doesn't need a whole lot to function which means to much will break it.

My windows 8 machine had the resolution issue for a while and setting eqgames.exe to compatibility mode will help with this but you also have to set your resolution to the native resolution of your screen and you will reaccquire that inch.

Alt O will bring up options in game need not the EQ button. This all depends on if the fresh copy will result with the same resolution issues.
My first fresh copy resulted in the resolution issues. What reason do I have to think a reinstall of the same exact file system would result in something different? My desktop resolution is set to my monitor's recommended setting, and, as I said in my OP, I have set both windowed, and fullscreen resolutions to match my desktop, therefore that is of no issue. The shortcut to the game is set to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3(a version of windows wherein I never had a single problem with the game originating from Windows or any of its settings), as well as being forced to run as administrator. As for your mentioning of a GPU setting having to do with "vertexs," I've never heard of anything with that name before, thus you'll have to explain your meaning.
Last edited by Eumora; 01-16-2017 at 06:26 AM..
Old 01-16-2017, 06:18 AM
Planar Protector

You would be surprised what new or different things happen with each new install.

Just because you set it in game doesn't mean it stuck. EQ is a fickle bitch.

Launch Tit.bat is not the same as eqgames.exe

A fresh copy is needed because I don't know exactly what you did. Easier to diagnose a fresh copy.
C drive and compatibility are the first steps to finding out if it's a software or hardware.

So start with that and return with results.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Alright. Fresh install completed. P99 files extracted. Four files required to be deleted deleted. No change, except for the addition of another problem: When I change the resolution, the game now crashes and gives the common message: reset device failed.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:45 AM
Planar Protector

That's resolution error means the game doesn't like your reso. Fix that and everything will work fine

Old 01-16-2017, 06:48 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupakk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's resolution error means the game doesn't like your reso. Fix that and everything will work fine
With the first install, I used the same resolution as I tried setting it to this time, and got no error, thus implying the error was not caused by said resolution. Furthermore, there is no other resolution that looks normal on my monitor, therefore it's either this one, or none.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Planar Protector

1) what is your desktop resolution, your window mode resolution, and your full screen resolution?
2) are you trying to play in window mode or full screen mode? How are you adjusting these settings (through the ini file?)
3) you may have logged into the wrong server if your characters were missing
Old 01-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumora [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I launched, for some reason it was set to windowed mode automatically, even though my computer is so powerful that it can run Battlefield 1 on ultra graphics with zero lag(thus I obviously don't suspect such a default setting has anything at all to do with my computer's ability(or lack thereof) to run this game).
Move your EQ directory out of Program Files if you haven't. In Notepad, open EverQuest\eqclient.ini, press control+f and search for "WindowedMode". Here you can change whether the client launches in fullscreen or windowed mode by changing the WindowedMode setting to "WindowedMode=FALSE" or "WindowedMode=TRUE", respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumora [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In windowed mode, the resolution(set to my desktop resolution) makes it impossible for me to interact with the bottom inch or more of my screen(where the EQ button, and therefore nearly every administrative option, is located). In other words, I was cut off from vital components to playing this game, as well as cut off from any ability to fix it in game.
Now search for "VideoMode" in the same file - the first two settings under [VideoMode], WindowedWidth and WindowedHeight, will determine the client's resolution when in it's in windowed mode. If the client window is partially obscured by the taskbar, a simple fix is to reduce the WindowedHeight dimension. For example, if my fullscreen resolution is 1680x1050, I can simply reduce the WindowedHeight value from 1050 to 982 so that my EQ window doesn't extend below the taskbar. If you end up with graphical artifacts after doing this, just subtract or add 1 from that value until you find a dimension that your video card agrees with.

Quote:
I tried several things. Tabbing out and setting the resolution to a greater value while the game remained running caused it to black out, thus obviously preventing any kind of continuation of such a fix. I used alt+enter to make it full screen again, but, for a reason which, to this day, is unknown to me, pressing alt+enter caused my sound to completely vanish in game. Nothing at all, not a spell, not a footstep, nothing makes a sound at all, and I am unable to figure out why.
This was due to Windows calling for elevated privileges when you changed your desktop resolution - whenever something prompts for administrative privileges in Windows, the client will black out if it's in windowed mode. You can fix this by using alt+enter to switch to fullscreen, and then again to switch back to windowed mode. Losing your sound from doing this sounds like some kind of conflict with your sound card, which could be a driver issue or a result of access security restrictions from having EQ installed in Program Files.

Quote:
I closed the game, and messed with my hardware settings to see if I could get a change at all. I restarted the game, and now, every time I log in with ALL THREE of my loginserver accounts, the character select screen shows no characters.
A common mistake when restarting the client is to press "Enter Game" without checking which server is selected - make sure you're signing into the correct server. If that's not the case, then it's likely just a connection issue. The P99 servers can be very finicky - in short, you can have a pristine, flawless internet connection in every regard but you might still have occasional issues connecting to the P99 servers. If this is ever the case, make sure you completely close out and restart the client before attempting to reconnect. It may take repeated tries to get a solid connection, but this is usually intermittent - I have a mediocre DSL connection, and I'd say this happens to me maybe a couple times a year.

Quote:
The shortcut to the game is set to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3(a version of windows wherein I never had a single problem with the game originating from Windows or any of its settings), as well as being forced to run as administrator.
I'd recommend against using any compatibility settings for eqgame.exe unless you absolutely have to - I've never used any of the compatibility options in either Windows 7 or Windows 10 when running EQ. You will only need to run EQ as an administrator if you have it installed in Program Files, but as mentioned earlier it's just a good idea in general to move it out to avoid a litany of other issues.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Planar Protector

Thanks Paul for the details. I just didn't have the time to type all that.

Was hoping a fresh install would fix it , no offense op.

I suggest eqgames compatibility for anyone running 8 or higher as it helps later down the road with other issues.