Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureLo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I saw that there was a "lifetime" purchase available. What all does that entail, i was wondering about the fine print. If you pay the $200 with tax up front does that mean you are subscribed for life never having to pay again... or is there some clause to make you pay again at some point. Because it just doesn't seem like they would offer a 1 time payment considering how much more they could make from monthly/yearly.
Yeah there is a risk as other's have said. The game might flop. Same exact thing happened to a game called "Hellgate: London" people paid like $150 or $200 for lifetime subscription, game only lasted like 11 months or a year. So everyone who paid for the lifetime basically got screwed. However, I don't know what company is made this, but it's probably bigger than the company that did Hellgate: London (Flagship Studios?), so DC Universe will probably stay up for a while.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Sarnak

DC Universe is made by SOE. Same people that run EQ now. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As for its similarities to COH. I've not personally played COH, but a lot have, and asked the same question so I've read quite a bit about it. The thing about CoH that I've heard is that its really fun for about a month, and then it gets boring. You run out of stuff to do, and it sucks.

With DC Universe, there is an end game. They have raids in the game right now, with more going to be added all the time. You have to run the instances, get the gear, run the raids, get the better gear. That's the biggest difference, is the end game.

I don't feel like the game gives you everything right out the door. You have to work for a lot of your stuff, and I like this.

It's a huge change from WoW for me, as there was team work needed to complete some of the early instances you run. You just simply can't win otherwise. Now, I know Cata dungeons are actually more like this, but Wrath dungeons were a joke.

In DCUO, it's very hard to complete the instances if you don't have the team working together. A team consists of 4 people, and they have a WoW style Looking for Dungeon tool where you pick your role and get into an instance when your queue comes up.

The best thing about this game though? Everyone plays DPS. Healers? You gotta DPS or your heals suck ass. Tanks? You gotta DPS to trigger your 90% mitigation buff that lets you actually tank. Controllers? You gotta DPS in order to regen power (mana) to the whole group.

In groups there is a dedicated DPS person that ends up anywhere from 20-40% higher in damage than the rest of the group. But the tank, healer, controller should all be about the same.

It's fun, and worth the try.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

Crone is right, though thanks to its beat-em-style play it might not be for everyone. I can only hope they'll polish up the interface and menu's for the PC as that would improve the game by quite a bit. In fact, most 'fixes' seem to little things like this and should be easy to do so I got good hopes for it.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Aviak

It would have been cool if it were cross platform, so that the consoles and PC people could play together on the same server. From what I've gathered this is not true (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I missed something). Hopefully the PS3/Xbox360 servers will stay up, would suck if they went dead fast. (inb4 lulz@console mmo's [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Sarnak

They explained that its purely an accounting problem why they are not mixed. Because when it was free (beta), everyone was on the same server as far as I know. Who knows, as I think there has been cross platform MMOs before, but maybe not?

I think the first big patch will have a lot of things fixed that people have given feedback on. I've heard that the chat interface for PC players is their #1 priority right now.