Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

Default Is a "No Lock-Down" Rule Possible?

Back in the day the king camp in Sebilis was all but locked down for an extended period of time, creating a monopoly on Fungi Tunics. Going back farther, even when the server had a much lower population the mana orb camp was reportedly locked down also. And I'd imagine that more experienced P99ers can share other lock-down stories.

But here's the thing: no one I've ever met in P99 thinks players locking down a camp is a good thing (and to be clear I mean for weeks at a time, not some guy holding a camp all Saturday). The idea is universally hated, and it's also something that didn't happen (that I ever heard of at least) on live during the classic period.

So with green coming "someday", this made me wonder: why doesn't P99 have an anti-lock-down rule? Then I thought, well maybe it's impossible to write such a rule that works, is fair, and isn't a nightmare for the staff to enforce? But then again, maybe it is.

TLDR: Would it be possible to add a rule on P99 to prevent players from monopolizing camps for weeks at a time, and if so what would that rule be?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

What camp is being locked down for weeks at a time at this point?

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

+1 for OPs idea.
Good idea but needs more detail and explanation.

---
I think most of the problem is that the same people are locking down the same camps at peak population time. A lot of places are open at the lowest dip of low pop, but at that time it's difficult to find people to camp it with you.

Maybe some kind of rotation application like guilds do for raids. lol
That way the general public doesn't stand a chance to kill these mobs!
Then skarlorn can write up an open camps agreement!

---
TL : DR- Play Nice Policy

---
WTS Manastones and DE masks 1 mill plat each.
PM WutNamePolicy <Entrepreneurs>
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 09-23-2017 at 11:14 AM..
Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What camp is being locked down for weeks at a time at this point?
None, that I'm aware of. The concern is more about when Green comes out someday, as it will have mana orbs and similar targets (along with, presumably, a significantly larger server population).

EDIT: Also +1 to Baler's idea, but since I thought most rotations were entered into voluntarily, I'm not clear on how they'd be staff enforced.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-23-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Old 09-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Fire Giant

Manastone camp was pretty brutal on p99 but there was only like 50-200 people ever on at a time during those days so it wasn't as noticeable. People would camp it, pass it to a friend, then that friend would pass the camp back to them when they logged back on. Rinse and repeat x10. But because the population was so low and p99 was fresh and relatively unknown except to people who were already on EQEMU pretty much everybody got a chance to camp it.

If/when green99 comes out I suspect manastone and guise camps will be a clusterfook beyond imagination.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Fire Giant

I get the idea, but I don't see how it could realistically be implemented without a GM at X item camp 24 hours a day 7 days a week which obviously wont happen.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but from a casual standpoint I imagine camping a Manastone on a new server to be a pipe dream for 95% of the server. People always talk about how bad camping AC is 7+ years into the server, I imagine Manastone/Guise would be that multiplied by at least 100.

I mostly play EST mornings, I never really get to play during the server "prime time", there is usually ~500 people on when I log in but it wouldn't even take 100 people to keep every valuable classic item perma-camped.

If you don't play p99 80+ hours a week you are at a huge disadvantage, that's just the reality of classic eq. Poopsockers gonna poop sock.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TLDR: Would it be possible to add a rule on P99 to prevent players from monopolizing camps for weeks at a time, and if so what would that rule be?
I finally get to write it first!!!! Sorry Loramin...

THAT'S NOT CLASSIC!

Honestly though, I see no way they could enforce such a rule. They already have guide time monopolized by trying to monitor raids, how could they even begin to start trying to watch specific camps in the game?

All this would do is create constant petitions for every camp on the server. They would have petitions sent in complaining about that loser lvl 50 necro that farms orc1 and orc2 daily every morning for 4 hours, etc.

The petitions would never end.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I finally get to write it first!!!! Sorry Loramin...

THAT'S NOT CLASSIC!
I would argue that locking down camps isn't classic: I never even heard of such a thing on live during Velious (or even for awhile after). After all, people in classic didn't know that mana orbs, guises, holgresh elder beads, etc. were going away, so no one had any reason to lock them down for an extended period of time. Plus, I feel like (based on everything else they did) GMs on live would have gotten involved if someone was preventing everyone else on a server from accessing (non-raid) content for weeks or months at a time.

But as for enforcement, that was exactly the problem I ran into, and so I was hoping that someone with higher Intelligence than this dumb Barbarian might see a solution.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah, it will be a clusterfuck as long as some people can RMT them. And even without RMT activity, some folks view in-game currency and accomplishment as real life achievement, as sad as that is.

That said, I guess I'd rather have the (slim) opportunity of logging in at a weird hour and finding one of those camps open than bullshit like TLPs where the items simply do not exist from the getgo.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Sarnak

Passing camps to your friend is the problem - if they are just treated as the stormfeather camp is, or holgresh beads camps was, we wont have a problem.

Must be present to get the camp, your rank in line is the order in which you arrive (and stay) at the camp. 1st in line loots, logs, leaves or LDs*, next person in line gets the camp, end of story.

*LD treated as loss in line at the discretion of 2nd person in line
60 Iksar Monk
20 Halfling Druid

=== OMNI ===
Closed Thread