Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Fire Giant

Default Classic Feel vs Classic Mechanics

This server heavily emphasizes the technical parts of staying true to classic, but at what point does the classic feel of 2000 get diminished by such a strict standard?

People grouped much more back then due to being significantly less twinked and ignorant to race/class experience penalties. I think most of us can agree that grouping and dependency is what separates this game from every other current MMO.

Since a wipe is off the table, I believe that an exp penalty to soloing and an experience bonus for more group members were implemented, the server would feel much more classic. Below 50, a group of 2-3 people can hold down most exp camps given 2014 competence and twinking, might as well have an incentive to invite more members if camps are getting cleared regardless.

I'm not asking for this to be implemented, I'm just curious of what you guys think of classic feel vs classic mechanics.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:01 AM
Fire Giant

i like where this thread is going
Old 08-10-2014, 02:04 AM
Aviak

For me, it's classic enough already. Any more tweaks are less likely to add to my enjoyment and some of the tweaks the crazy people here want, would actually diminish it.

Some recent comments that I've seen have mentioned groups not getting filled up or not accepting hybrids/non-twinks. That isn't true as far as my experience. I've had groups in the low levels as a hybrid (even as a Ranger!). The groups have often had less twinks than non-twinks - I think I've yet to have a group that was all twinked characters.

I don't know if things are very different in the 20-60 range, but at the low levels, with my numerous alts, I've been able to enjoy fairly classic experience.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This server heavily emphasizes the technical parts of staying true to classic, but at what point does the classic feel of 2000 get diminished by such a strict standard?

People grouped much more back then due to being significantly less twinked and ignorant to race/class experience penalties. I think most of us can agree that grouping and dependency is what separates this game from every other current MMO.
This is why I roll my eyes anytime I hear they wreck something and remove a minor feature because "NOT CLASSIC!!1" This isn't classic either. You will never relive those days. Get over it.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Planar Protector

For that classic feel, I hope nobody is using the DoD login screen (that came with Titanium)...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For that classic feel, I hope nobody is using the DoD login screen (that came with Titanium)...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If people can set their own login screens, the obvious answer is to maliciously prevent people from setting them to whatever they choose. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeoz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For me, it's classic enough already. Any more tweaks are less likely to add to my enjoyment and some of the tweaks the crazy people here want, would actually diminish it.

Some recent comments that I've seen have mentioned groups not getting filled up or not accepting hybrids/non-twinks. That isn't true as far as my experience. I've had groups in the low levels as a hybrid (even as a Ranger!). The groups have often had less twinks than non-twinks - I think I've yet to have a group that was all twinked characters.

I don't know if things are very different in the 20-60 range, but at the low levels, with my numerous alts, I've been able to enjoy fairly classic experience.
I and my two friends just started here. This has been our experience as well. The twinks are more often the ones soloing, because they can. Those of us who are not twinked are grouping so we can make progress in the game.

The three of us deliberately formed the "holy trinity" so we would have no problems forming groups. But my Bard has had no problems getting groups most of the time, in spite of being very obviously non-twink.

I don't think that tweaking xp to penalize solo play and reward grouping is necessary or desirable. People choose "solo classes" because they want to solo with them. Grouping is already rewarded by greater access to game content.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

Classic mechanics are close.

Classic feel not so much, at all. maybe thats just 5 years of the server being out

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Kobold

I will wholeheartedly agree with both the "2014 competence and twinking" and "1999 ignorance towards race/class experience penalties" comments being very much a real thing... but that's about it. I don't at all see a lack of grouping, nor all too much shunning of penalty-heavy players.

I'm on my second stint playing P1999 right now. The first was in 2011/2012, and once again as of about two months ago. All of this time has been spent below level 30 (it's a syndrome, I can't help it!) and the only thing that has really changed in that time, that I can tell, is the amount of twinking. Though I am twinked fairly well myself, I still see plenty of people who are completely new to the server. This is an observation that is further reinforced in the time I spend in EC, as a tailor. In buying HQ Bear Skins, I can't even begin to tell you how many people come up to me positively giddy at the prospect of getting that 32p for spell money, or their first set of banded.

Additionally, the supertwinks aren't even shunning groups altogether. In the past two days, I've had not one, not two, but FIVE different people pass through my groups sporting a Fungi. Last night, when I was looking for a tank to replace my SHD before logging out, I found one in a guy sporting a Fungi/CoF/the whole nine.

To me, a far more serious problem... one that definitely breaks the "classic feel" completely... is the amount of PLing going on. PLing itself doesn't bother me at all. Rather, it's the fact that it so often takes place in some of the most contested group camps in the game, rather than any of the countless zones that are otherwise completely barren.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Yup.
1. It really is close enough already, imo. This isn't to say it shouldn't be closer, but there are probably more constructive things to do.
2. The "not classic" crowd is largely a joke. If you're not saying this ironically, then shame on you... unless someone is requesting horses or shared banks or some shit like that.
Last edited by myriverse; 08-10-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Closed Thread