Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Planar Protector

Fantastic sirs...my all time favorite after classic eq. Hit up the lead on p99, Nilbog..he was a huge vanguard fan...i vote he puts velious on hold so he can help you get vanguard up and running.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Kobold

This is Fucking great. As most everyone knows, a poor release totally screwed this pooch. Been following your project sporadically when VG started dying. I have the live client installed atm, so if there's anything a novice can do to help, I'm down.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fantastic sirs...my all time favorite after classic eq. Hit up the lead on p99, Nilbog..he was a huge vanguard fan...i vote he puts velious on hold so he can help you get vanguard up and running.
This^^. VG was definitely the best successor to EQ. It did get a little soft as SOE implemented some changes the last 2-3 years in an attempt to make it "more accessible", but the game itself was absolutely brilliant. Such a shame it had to go.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2summit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is Fucking great. As most everyone knows, a poor release totally screwed this pooch. Been following your project sporadically when VG started dying. I have the live client installed atm, so if there's anything a novice can do to help, I'm down.

Register on our forums once we add you to the collection group download the packet collector read over on how to collect and then just start playing.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Kobold

I posted for years on the Vanguard forums before it came out. After the horrible launch I didn't even bother to try it. Would love to finally play this game.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nilbog is more then welcome to lend a hand if he wants so is anyone else who wants to help. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Banned

bad:
graphics
sounds
aesthetic
glitches (you can fall through the world almost anywhere underwater if you try hard enough
huge world
boring wow style quest design
"seamless world" with zonelines
furries
brad mcquaid

good:
move while casting
no instances
well designed classes
good feeling abilities
difficult?
classic eq charm in some areas
Old 06-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Aviak

In-game chat initial work has been committed and here is a little video of it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAgmEm5j9Cg
Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

I played Vanguard on release also, on 'Tichondrius' was it? The FFA PvP server they had going. It was fun for quite a while, but the game felt somewhat clunky, mechanics felt like they had a delayed response - it was especially noticeable in a PvP environment where you need to have good reflexes.

The open world was vast, but it also had places which were just devoid of any life whatsoever. It was quite heavy on the graphics too, even the best PCs would still struggle trying to run this game on full settings.

The gameplay was definitely unique, but not really balanced for PvP, Sorcerors were so damn overpowered with their instant pbaoes that could kill in two shots. I played the "enchanter" class and a friend played the "necro", think we made it into low 40s before stopping.

It's an interesting project you've got going, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress!
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 06-30-2014, 02:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was this game actually any good at the beginning before it got patches that ruined it I presume? My computer back then was not good enough to run this game...
Murrpau's post is accurate. Vanguard could have easily been the greatest MMO ever developed.

From a design perspective, nothing really comes close. I'm not the kind of person who tends to have lots of alts since I prefer to focus on one character. But any time that I wasn't playing with my room mates, I'd roll random alts because every class was so unique and fun to play. Vanguard was truly ground breaking and you see a lot of their design pop up in modern MMOs (almost every MMO since Vanguard has had a version of their Disciple class, for example).

Not only were all of the classes worth checking out, but also all of the races. And there were a lot of them. Almost every single race had a really interesting introduction to the game. I say almost because my main was a Halfling and it was pretty generic hobbit stuff... go fetch me some pies, etc.

I was really blown away by my Kojani (Asian themed humans) Disciple. You started on a beach nearby a nearly destroyed village, and you received quests from this general dude riding a dragon. At first you had to do some menial tasks like committing theft and arson. After that you're ordered to go slay the mayor of the village. You find him in the back of his house and he goes through this generic eastern pacifist philosophy dialogue and ends up teleporting you or something? You wake up in a refugee village (populated by people trying to escape the Empire; you were an imperial soldier in the beginning part). There's a progressive quest line that's very eastern philosophy oriented, culminating in you undertaking different tests (the most memorable was something like the Test of Faith where you had to jump off of this really high cliff). You completed the quest line around level 20ish or so, which redeemed you from your dishonorable life as an imperial soldier and you got the "Lao'Jin Knight" title. The whole thing was just so interesting I wasn't even concerned with leveling, I just wanted to experience the storyline and the other rewards were a bonus. I remember there were a lot of opportunities for the quest to diverge and allow you to make the "evil choice," so I assume that was a path you could have taken as well.

I tried looking this stuff up but there's like no information online that I can find even about these introductory quests that you're thrown into when you start. So, I can only imagine how impossible it might be to try to recreate the game with so very few resources. At least EQ was well documented.

Anyways, that's really what set the game apart. Orcs also had a really great introductory quest line where you escape from slavery and must go through this mountain, completing several tasks that emulated some great Orcish hero. Essentially he did all this crazy stuff to reach the summit and light a fire, warning his tribe of another warring tribe's impending attack. Completing the quest and lighting the fire on the top of this mountain was one of the most satisfying MMO experiences ever.

This is how a lot of the quests worked even in the mid and late game. Yeah, they were designed very similarly to WoW quests but the actual content was much deeper and made you feel like you were actually playing a part in a story. That was really what set Vanguard apart, you actually felt like an adventurer in a robust fantasy world instead of an employee of a bear ass delivery service.

Obviously you had to trudge through a lot of bugs and broken game to experience this stuff, and the way they handled subsequent updates did more harm than good. One of my room mates played a cleric, and that class serves as a good example of what went wrong with Vanguard. The cleric class, like a lot of classes, wasn't fully implemented when the game launched. However, they were balanced around not having all of their stuff implemented so the class functioned fine. In one of the first few updates, they decided to "fix" the cleric. This included introducing what was essentially a spec system where you could follow a certain god and receive additional abilities. I think these were split up something like melee, smite, heal. The problem is that this added a ton of new power to the cleric, and since they were already balanced around not having this stuff, the class instantly became the best tank, dps, and healer in the game. It was really, really silly and an obvious sign that Vanguard was not going to last.