Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

Built new comp, bought landmark, ran around, built a wall, dug hundreds of feet into the ground and back up and out, marked land as mine (for which you can pay SC to maintain as "your" property)

Came back to eq1emu
Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugher [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Built new comp, bought landmark, ran around, built a wall, dug hundreds of feet into the ground and back up and out, marked land as mine (for which you can pay SC to maintain as "your" property)
That's dirty as hell of SOE
Old 01-21-2015, 01:15 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
their business motto is "free to play, your way". There is nothing wrong about being able to play a game for free and deciding when to spend money. It worked for guild wars 2, it's working for the original EQ. Let people get hooked to a game and allow them to make their money back by buying items.
It may work financially, people are too stupid and overspend compared to if you had spent $15 a month instead.
However, in my mind, and a lot of old EQ'ers minds, the content we pay for should be included in the subscription price that can directly affect gameplay outside of graphics.

I wouldn't mind Station Cash if they made it purely cosmetic items that can be purchased on top of the original face value.. but in EVERY SOE GAME TO DATE they've gone beyond cosmetic items, and that pisses me off.
And I can't believe people think it's acceptable to spend $5 for a chance at getting something. If I spend money, I should get something. You don't see people in 1999 EQ1 spending $5 for a chance at a new spell, you see them spending $5 to unlock the ability to scribe an all-access-only spell. That's just as bad by the way, and should be included in the $14.99 a month package because otherwise you're a morally reprehensible individual who has sold out to corporate.

How many true indie games have packages like EQ1 does? Do you see Five Nights at Freddies charge $5 in-game to buy a higher chance at some animatronic scaring the shit out of you? No? Well, there you go.
Airdrops should be gameplay events invoked as random events triggered through meaningful game interaction, not for $5 to trigger them at someone's leisure. It's bad gameplay design.

Oh, and you'll have fanboys saying you'll need to trigger zombie heat. Yeah, that's true, but you're still paying FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS for ingame items you may or may not get.
And to the people who say this type of transaction is good for companies because everyone is doing it and it works great for them, and they have corporate interests beyond development... develop better games and you won't have this problem.

Side note; I've bought a Planet Fitness membership for less than the amount of money Sony wants to charge for some of their mounts, and have had more positive interaction in Planet Fitness than I have in EQLive current-day.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 01-21-2015, 01:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Side note; I've bought a Planet Fitness membership for less than the amount of money Sony wants to charge for some of their mounts, and have had more positive interaction in Planet Fitness than I have in EQLive current-day.
Nailed it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 AM
Planar Protector

rofl this is fucking funny, and might be the only reason to play the game is to kill people spending money

Quote:
just watched a streamer spending 10€ on two airdrops that he was unable to get. 1) he died before even getting to it 2) was stolen by another player and then he got eaten by zombies that spawned around the airdrop. after this, the chat actually called the game pay2die.
http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comment...nt_posts_lets/
Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Fire Giant

its actually fun game but kinda reminds me of dayz the style of game but it has alot more to offer then dayz crafting etc. kinda like rust/dayz really
Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It may work financially, people are too stupid and overspend compared to if you had spent $15 a month instead.
However, in my mind, and a lot of old EQ'ers minds, the content we pay for should be included in the subscription price that can directly affect gameplay outside of graphics.

I wouldn't mind Station Cash if they made it purely cosmetic items that can be purchased on top of the original face value.. but in EVERY SOE GAME TO DATE they've gone beyond cosmetic items, and that pisses me off.
And I can't believe people think it's acceptable to spend $5 for a chance at getting something. If I spend money, I should get something. You don't see people in 1999 EQ1 spending $5 for a chance at a new spell, you see them spending $5 to unlock the ability to scribe an all-access-only spell. That's just as bad by the way, and should be included in the $14.99 a month package because otherwise you're a morally reprehensible individual who has sold out to corporate.

How many true indie games have packages like EQ1 does? Do you see Five Nights at Freddies charge $5 in-game to buy a higher chance at some animatronic scaring the shit out of you? No? Well, there you go.
Airdrops should be gameplay events invoked as random events triggered through meaningful game interaction, not for $5 to trigger them at someone's leisure. It's bad gameplay design.

Oh, and you'll have fanboys saying you'll need to trigger zombie heat. Yeah, that's true, but you're still paying FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS for ingame items you may or may not get.
And to the people who say this type of transaction is good for companies because everyone is doing it and it works great for them, and they have corporate interests beyond development... develop better games and you won't have this problem.

You can earn airdrops in-game, they aren't available only via the store. You can also get event tickets, use them for battle royales, and win air drop tickets. I would personally never pay for any in-game items, unless you count pre-order bonuses and whatever came with buying h1z1 early access. However, I don't look at it as spending five bucks for the chance to get loot. I like the idea because it's spending five bucks (if you go that route) to have a mini event. People who look at it that way will likely enjoy the experience, and those who don't may not stick around long. By the same token, given how loot centered EQ is, aren't you paying $15 for two basic reasons - the chance to get loot, and the experience itself? Again, those leaning to the side of enjoying the basic experience probably find their money better spent.

In a sense I would argue you do earn your items if you manage to loot an air drop you purchased. If you never get one of your own, or someone else's.. you should probably play on a PVE server. Most players will wind up looting several air drops, even if they were unable to loot their own. My experience so far is that it pretty much evens out in the end.

There really is no "meaningful interaction" on the PVE side yet, and I'm not confident there will be. I think PVE is simply there to increase numbers and as a training ground. I'm sure they'll boost it up, but I don't get the impression PVE was something they would have included if it wasn't a major studio that needs X dollars per month to sustain the project. There are small quests after looting zombies which lead you to caches full of items similar to air drops, but that's about it as far as interaction goes.

P.S. Not important, but I can't stand Planet Fitness. Not sure there's a company I dislike more that hasn't had a political or social snafu.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemiddar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After spending a few years on MMORPG's site I really feel like gamers are what hinders community building, aside from quality of games of course. The norm appears to be moving between games with every new release, and never playing anything longer than a couple months. At least for those people who actually post on those toxic boards.

I hate cash shops too, probably half the reason I haven't found a real home since I left original EQ.
I disagree. I dont really think that its what players want. Its what companies want. They dont care about building communities, especially SOE. Of course any player that wants to play a game wants to gain power, which is why they seem to always put items in their cash shops that assist gameplay. They are banking on their own fans addictive behavior nothing more. There is no more earning of anything in these games. Complete a simple linear dungeon? have a small cookie! Complete 5 seemingly irrelevant things? Heres another cookie! OMG did you just combine 4 tradeskills?!?! DAMN SON U GOOD HERES A COOKIE! so then time goes and you arent getting any cookies that day, YOU CRAVE THE FUCKING COOKIE!!! GIMME DAT SHIT! so you buy the fucking cookie.

thats the pathology they bank on when they make their games free to play, keep in mind this isnt every f2p game, but it is in all of sonys games.

IMO f2p only works when a game can be competative, and its developers and the company that owns it, like Dota or something. They got millions playing it and didnt get anything in return initially. Then it turned into an E sport, and now im sure they make substantial profits from it because of its popularity. They banked on their game being good and promoted a competative community that exists and flourishes.

SOE makes games that offer none of that. They cant even promote their games because it seems that they know that they would be considered the laughing stock of the mmo and gaming community if they tried. Lets face it, SOE doesnt do things the right way because they have already found ways to bastardize their own customers without even having to acknowledge it. SOE is sonys dirty little secret.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Sarnak

also FUCK SOE for taking 2 games that are perfectly fine as is, combining them and trying to resell it back to people who they consider fans of the genre. This is exactly what they do so they dont have to spend a fucking dime. They remake an already existing concept, which costs alot less money than making something new. combine it with another, and then add a cash shop. Fuck that.

I bet you can mod rust to do pretty much what h1z1 is doing. or DayZ for that matter.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

Well, gamers aren't going to wait another 5 years for Day Z to get fixed and hack free.

Rust I can't speak on much, but H1Z1 seems good from what I've seen on Twitch so far (just wish they'd sort out the micro transactions).
Closed Thread