Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Orc

Default Praise

Hi everyone. I just dropped by after forgetting about P99 for a few months. I've been reading up on the recent developments, especially regarding the hacking countermeasures, and I must say that I'm very impressed and even a little excited.

I have a bit of a colorful history with regards to EverQuest "enhancement". Some of you may recognize my nickname from a few of the more seedy circles. While I'm quite an amateur with regards to reverse engineering, I do have a certain eye for possibility, and some of the things I've created have had a lasting impact on Norrath in both the past and present.

To be honest, my intention with EverQuest modification was never really to give myself an advantage, but to take away the unfair advantage of anyone else who may be cheating. Misguided though it may be, it's the truth.

This new approach by the developers really levels the playing field. While the majority of security implementations can theoretically be countered, the measures as I see them cannot feasibly be reversed by amateurs such as myself. The strategies in place are further bolstered by the fact that the community is small enough that any failed attempts at trial and error by a would-be hacker would pop up on the radar quite conspicuously. There can be anonymity in numbers, but now the numbers are few.

I have only respect for Rogean and the crew for these enhancements. I'm genuinely thrilled to see how things progress, especially with the new PvP server. A [mostly] hack-free environment is really the only chance I have at reliving the classic experience as I once knew it, before eating the proverbial forbidden fruit.

Thank you, Rogean et al, for all you've done. I can't wait to see what happens next!

cronic

P.S. I never soiled P99 with any of my mischief. I only played to level twelve, and I worked with Rogean to help remove a dupe from the game. Please don't lynch me yet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Fire Giant

String him uP!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Kobold

I always enjoy people's attempts to draw attention away from an issue they don't want to discuss openly. It's quite refreshing.
Closed Thread