Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

i hope these developments have the Saudi royal family shaking in their $1,000,000 gold lined boots. they're tied with the US in terms of blatant human rights violations for that sweet, sweet crude.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slathar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i hope these developments have the Saudi royal family shaking in their $1,000,000 gold lined boots. they're tied with the US in terms of blatant human rights violations for that sweet, sweet crude.
Troll or truest Slathar post on P1999!?!? America's smartest Indians and Asians no longer entering the medical field. Are they applying for Dictatorial positions back home instead !?!? All this and more at 11 !!!

And yeah....Mubarak's personal fortune estimated at $70 billion. And he did **nothing** for it; likewise I'm sure he'll do nothing beneficial WITH it either.
Last edited by KilyenaMage; 02-11-2011 at 08:14 PM..
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

What made the difference between Iran and Egypt is a very complex question and no doubt includes many factors that we just don't know. That said, those factors almost certainly include the more advanced level of organization in Egypt, and the fact that the Egyptian (and Tunisian) revolution had a much broader social base and less centralized leadership. Mousavi did connect with a broad sentiment in Iran but it was a much more top-down movement. The level of bottom-up initiative was much lower in Iran, making it easier for the regime to isolate top leaders and demobilize the movement.
Last edited by purist; 02-11-2011 at 08:29 PM..
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilyenaMage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe you're unaware...but Iran doesn't exactly let their people hold open demonstrations. The last time it happened, people were beaten and killed and that was long before the recent developments in Egypt. What do you think is gonna happen THIS time around!?!?

Where the Egyptian government promised not to harm/kill civilians, I'm sure the Iranian leadership will have no qualms at all using deadly force to put down a potentially coup-causing rebellion.

Also, unlike Egypt, Iran really doesn't care if civilian-shot video footage of people being beaten/killed makes international news. The only reason Egypt cared about stopping the release of such footage was because Mubarak actually thought he would be able to stay in his seat of unscrupulous power.

Ultimately though....we can be fairly certain that the Iranian leaders would not be so willing to peacefully step down -- really it's a wonder that Mubarak did. Unfortunately I think that such an event taking place in Tehran would result in some of the greatest human rights violations we've seen in recent years. Perhaps the end result of it all would be international condemnation of Iran -- but again, they're already disliked by most of the world community, they simply don't care.
Lol dude. Egypt didn't allow mass demonstrations either. Thats why the army was called in on the second day, The government sent mobs of pro-mubark thugs to beat up protesters, Attacked and Arrested Foreign Journalists, Shut down the Banks, Blocked Internet Access and brought down phone service to try and silence the masses. Sounds EXACTLY like Tehran 2009 to me. NO dictatorship "allows" mass public dissent, but when you have 300,000 people protesting in your capital city its pretty hard to make that just go away. The Tehran 2009 presidential election protests only involved tens of thousands instead of hundreds of thousands and eventually millions of people protesting. If the ripple effect countries, and 100,000s of thousands start to protest in Iran...then things are going to get very interesting.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Planar Protector

The army wasn't called in, it inserted itself into Cairo to keep the peace because the police force largely abandoned their posts.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The army wasn't called in, it inserted itself into Cairo to keep the peace because the police force largely abandoned their posts.
"After a day of increasingly violent protests throughout Egypt, President Hosni Mubarak ordered the military into the streets to reinforce police struggling to contain one of the most serious challenges to his long and autocratic rule."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/wo...t.html?_r=1&hp

^ ^ ^

"President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt deployed the nation’s military and imposed a near-total blackout on communications to save his authoritarian government of nearly 30 years."
Old 02-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

ok i heard a completely different story, but it was on cnn and i can't provide links, so w/e lol
Old 02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Sarnak

Egypt Army = Police The military command decided to side with the civilians for obvious reasons. This is not some kind of people's revolution, its standard "military vs. state apparatchik" thats been seen before in shit-poor countries over and over.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Sarnak

Heh, Iran has a good chunk of highly religious zealots in its army. No way they'd let 'some heretic citizens' take their power away.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ok i heard a completely different story, but it was on cnn and i can't provide links, so w/e lol
: P
Closed Thread