Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are character names relevant though ? I don't want to create a tool so people can brag/rant/flame/troll, etc.
The relevance is subjective. - And it is your tool.

What are you using the data to determine and for what purpose?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope, that was indeed a problem - fixed now though.
Ah, much better. Thank you!

Forgive my ignorant question because I'm not really a numbers person, but is this cumulative data and not necessarily who's logged in at any one time?
Pickahippy - 52 Druid
All priest, all the time.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are you using the data to determine and for what purpose?
Purpose is two fold: I wanted to see if I could get real numbers to answer the oft-asked question "What classes are needed on the server ?" and this is also a learning experience - I'm well versed in many programming languages but this is my second real Python project.

I figured if I would make a tool for myself that others may benefit from it so there's the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thana8088 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forgive my ignorant question because I'm not really a numbers person, but is this cumulative data and not necessarily who's logged in at any one time?
All the data is cumulative but is ultimately tied to each and every character that my parser "see". As in, if I see the same bard twice, I'm not going to count two bards but update that bard's data.
I'm hoping that if I take snapshots of online characters at various weekdays and hours that I'll eventually have something that is very relevant and close to reality.
This also does not account characters that are /anonymous and /roleplay.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Aviak

Quote:
EDIT
Data is now available directly on http://p1999pop.dmsimard.com

I was curious to see what kind of population statistics I could pull from the client side, so I went away and made a server population parser script.
Obviously, this could have been done far easier from the server side but I don't happen to have that sort of access :P

At the time I've ran my "snapshot" for data, there were 699 players online and my parser was able to find and identify 440 characters. (Friday January 18th at 4:45PM EST)
This means that 259 characters were either /Anonymous or on /Roleplay.

Please excuse me, I'm bad with graphs and charts, but here's some data.
If someone wants to use the raw parsed data to make some awesome charts, let me know and I'll give it to you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow. You need a real life, and quick.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSK [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I think a lot of people would say the same about you.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think a lot of people would say the same about you.
Why are you here August? You are several month early, please go away. Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Aviak

Why the needless bashing ? Go to the rants and flames section.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSK [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Server chat is not the place for this. Obey the forum rules or you will be removed.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

Love this database [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Can we get % breakdowns on there too? I'd ask about getting interactive data too, so that I could, like, see what level ranges kill off different classes and see if people who play certain races are more likely to make it to 60 and all kinds of whatnot... but that'd just be greedy!

Man. I still just can't get over how only 5% of characters are 60, and only 20% are 51+.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 01-27-2013 at 09:37 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Love this database [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks ! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can we get % breakdowns on there too?
Great idea, done !

Quote:
I'd ask about getting interactive data too, so that I could, like, see what level ranges kill off different classes and see if people who play certain races are more likely to make it to 60 and all kinds of whatnot...
Yup, I already planned something like this - being able to click a class and see their levels, guilds, zones - being able to click a zone and see the classes, levels, guilds - etc.

Maybe sometime this week if I have time !