Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Banned

Default Classic EQ ARPG?

Every classic class, full world. Quicker combat, little downtime. Something like Diablo 3 but much larger scale. You do not get all the spells/skills but you get the most important ones. For example, druid can port, sow, buff etc but no blind spells, and other under used ones.

Thoughts on a game like this?
Old 09-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Fire Giant

Isn't that what Champions of Norrath was?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Banned

Pretty much, however it would be just like normal EQ in terms of maps, number of players, raids, items, spells etc, just in an ARPG format. Mechanics would be similar in terms of having to pull, trains, etc. It would not be easy like Diablo or Champions where you just hack your way through shit. You would still have to put some strategy in taking down bigger mobs, healing etc.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Fire Giant

I mean I'd be down for any type of game that looks at EQ from a different perspective. That is partially why I hope that EQOA emulator will be completed.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Banned

If I could mod, mod eq to have no cool downs, no mana limit, PVP and perma death.

Thad be a fun thing cus you could like get to 60 while gearing up in a night and pvp and go cray cray die and be like whatever!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Planar Protector

Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms was Baldur's Gate + EverQuest and fuck they were really good games.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Fire Giant

Are you asking because you're considering programming such a game?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Banned

Yes. The problem is the game engine. I am wondering if this could be done using SC2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUugzb05bZU

Basically would need full maps of EQ. Would like to start with one class and in Qeynos, since that area is pretty easy to re-create. Would need to add the sounds, music etc as well. Would take time but am thinking of doing it in my spare time.
Last edited by Rust1d?; 09-23-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Lords of Everquest. /thread (j/k)

You'd be wiser to use a premade game engine to create something like this such as Unity or Gamemaker.

Scripting/doing triggers for SC2 editor isn't for the light hearted and in the time it would take you to achieve what you wanted you could have learned a valuable coding skill such as C#, C or C++.

I have played the Diablo SC2 map and while it works it's not on par with diablo by a long shot! The amount of scripting and triggers that went into that would probably make most of our heads fly, among other tricks the author used to achieve their goal.

I don't mean to be a downer but there are already Arpgs you can play, leave EQ where it belongs as an mmorpg. Just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should or that it will work.

I've often thought about re-creating EQ in the UO engine but that's for another thread.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Sarnak

Show us some other games you've made and prove that your a competent game developer before we will take this seriously
Closed Thread