Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We already reversed some trades that were done with exploited platinum, but we only did this to the larger transactions.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't get how this so called "exploit" was even possible, as any item that was attempted to be sold more than once would say something like "Item is misplaced"...or am I the only one who was getting that?
Im with scrooge on this one but somehow i guess i was some uber exploiter and got banned lol. Well hopefully later tonight ill get it removed. oh well

Foha

PS: Unbanned Ty rogean
Last edited by derek; 04-04-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Large Rat

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah, you and the guy who posted that pic need to get thrown through a window. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

He posted it because he was enjoying just sitting back and watching all of the people get banned much like being in a movie theatre. People do the "popcorn eating" thing to mimic this all of the time to show that they are just sitting back and enjoying the view/theatrics of what's going on.

Hence, the gif was funny because it was MJ doing just this.

Duh.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Fire Giant

Default the exploit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't get how this so called "exploit" was even possible, as any item that was attempted to be sold more than once would say something like "Item is misplaced"...or am I the only one who was getting that?
I stumbled on the exploit by accident, petitioned and put in an detailed message in the exploit section and Rogean responded right away and the server was taken down within 10 minutes. Props to Rogean and crew for that.

It worked like this, if a player sold a stackable item (lets say a rune/word/gem/bonechip) to a vendor that didn't normally stock that item, it would then list the item with a quantity of - (what we would normally think of as unlimited). It wasn't really unlimited of course and some necros probably wet their pants the first time they saw a vendor with "unlimited" bone chips. If someone bought such an item, it would give them the item(s) but would not take your money. The person could then resell the item back to the vendor and keep buying it back for no money and resell it until they were rich, like Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island.

Unscrupulous people who caught on would then take a high cost item (like a ruby), sell it to a mechant for 130pp (or whatever they vendor for), buy it back for free, resell it to the vendor and rinse and repeat until the economy collapses.

I remember in WOW beta when we had item and gold wipes. It wasn't fun. I didn't want that to happen here.

I also figured that the people doing it were buying irreplaceable items (like manastones, rubicite bps, etc.) which no longer drop. If they got banned (and you knew they would), the items would disappear and the supply would become so low that the late comers like myself (I started about a month ago) would never be able to afford a manastone or other item.

What a mess for Rogean and them to have to undo trades and such. I hope too much damage wasn't done.

I'd like to think I played a small part in saving the economy of the server (ironic huh) and help rid it of some cheaters.

The other side effect was Rogean made me change my name so I am no longer BarackObooma but Thunderstruck. This also made my many corpses across Norrath unrezzable doh!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Aviak

See? Obooma isnt that bad!

Thanks Thundastruck!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarackObooma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I stumbled on the exploit by accident, petitioned and put in an detailed message in the exploit section and Rogean responded right away and the server was taken down within 10 minutes. Props to Rogean and crew for that.

It worked like this, if a player sold a stackable item (lets say a rune/word/gem/bonechip) to a vendor that didn't normally stock that item, it would then list the item with a quantity of - (what we would normally think of as unlimited). It wasn't really unlimited of course and some necros probably wet their pants the first time they saw a vendor with "unlimited" bone chips. If someone bought such an item, it would give them the item(s) but would not take your money. The person could then resell the item back to the vendor and keep buying it back for no money and resell it until they were rich, like Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island.

Unscrupulous people who caught on would then take a high cost item (like a ruby), sell it to a mechant for 130pp (or whatever they vendor for), buy it back for free, resell it to the vendor and rinse and repeat until the economy collapses.

I remember in WOW beta when we had item and gold wipes. It wasn't fun. I didn't want that to happen here.

I also figured that the people doing it were buying irreplaceable items (like manastones, rubicite bps, etc.) which no longer drop. If they got banned (and you knew they would), the items would disappear and the supply would become so low that the late comers like myself (I started about a month ago) would never be able to afford a manastone or other item.

What a mess for Rogean and them to have to undo trades and such. I hope too much damage wasn't done.

I'd like to think I played a small part in saving the economy of the server (ironic huh) and help rid it of some cheaters.

The other side effect was Rogean made me change my name so I am no longer BarackObooma but Thunderstruck. This also made my many corpses across Norrath unrezzable doh!
Good job man! The server thanks you and anyone else who petitioned right away. ( Sorry about the no-rez sideeffect of the name change though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )
Old 04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Large Bat

Good job getting rid of cheaters. I still think that all the talk about ruined economies is a bit overly dramatic, as pretty much every game has currency flow that is outside the norm, and pretty much every game, the economy adjusts. IMO, having a reputation of rampant hacking/cheating/exploiting does much more to ruin servers than abnormal inflow of coin, but its clear these types are going to be dealt with so shouldnt have any worries about a bad rep.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Aviak

Man, why the name change? I knew I voted for the right guy. Good job BO.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Orc

wonder if the account bans because of the exploits rog found have led to some kind of revenge...resulting in the DDoS attack......
Closed Thread