Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaVeDK [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As someone who doesn't know all that much about running a server, that sounds like a pretty good solution. Couldn't you make it a requirement for registering an account to input your IP in one of the registration boxes, thus automatically tying it to your account? Or would that require a total revamp of the system / login server?

The problem is that a DDoS doesn't have to log in. Imagine a server as a house. That house has a driveway. At the street end of that driveway there is a gate. You want to have a party at your house, but the paparazzi heard about it. Only people you have invited can get in, but the photographers are surrounding the place. Your guests can't get to the gate to show their invitation.

A DDoS attack are the paparazzi. They aren't invited, and they can't get IN.. The gate is a firewall. It stops them from getting even onto the driveway.. But the people you WANT at your party - I.E., the people who just want to play EQ - can't get to the gate. The DDoS takes up all the street in front of the house.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Fire Giant

That's a brilliant analogy.

Mugatoo <Center For Ants>
45 Iksar Monk

"You can all go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Plus your IP is almost constantly changing-- unless you've got a dedicated static IP (which usually costs extra from consumer ISPs if it's offered at all), the lease time is, at most, 5 days on IP addresses. Many are only 24-48 hours, so your login would stop working as soon as your ISP assigned you a new IP.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SejalTraurig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is that a DDoS doesn't have to log in. Imagine a server as a house. That house has a driveway. At the street end of that driveway there is a gate. You want to have a party at your house, but the paparazzi heard about it. Only people you have invited can get in, but the photographers are surrounding the place. Your guests can't get to the gate to show their invitation.

A DDoS attack are the paparazzi. They aren't invited, and they can't get IN.. The gate is a firewall. It stops them from getting even onto the driveway.. But the people you WANT at your party - I.E., the people who just want to play EQ - can't get to the gate. The DDoS takes up all the street in front of the house.
That was frakking amazing... Seriously.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Kobold

that's a big twinkie
Old 04-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Fire Giant

Nice analogy!

As far as Dell goes, I don't know anything about their home machines I have bought one dell home PC ever, for my lil sister when she was in college. As far as business class laptops, workstations, servers go... I would never buy anything but Dell ever. I work for a tiny ass company and the people who handle the money frequently just buy new employees whatever the fuck laptop they want or they think looks cool... So we have a ton of Lenovo and Sony Vaio notebooks all over the fucking place that I would smash with a hammer and toss in a fire in a heartbeat. Not because dell laptops out perform them or are more reliable, but because Dell support fucking kicks ass. The only support I have ever used that was better was from Sun and sun Gold support is not exactly cheap lol.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
seeing that server gave me an e-boner

Boooyaahh!! This made me LOL bigtime. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Classic:
Gruemm - Dwarven Scout of Fennin Ro
Member of the Grudge Bearers
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SejalTraurig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thank you - I understand now, and the need for the bigger pipe (wider gate) that Rogean mentioned and everything.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That was awesome SejalTraurig

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 04-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Orc

/nod /nod
Closed Thread